Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First thoughts of my virgin TSW run

Put it this way you either take it or leave it. For me I keep coming back for more and have plenty of activities to do. I will not be purchaseing any DLC until I complete those activities unless I'm sure about what I'm doing. Sounds like their free weekend idea working pretty good for an old Run8 dog.

Thanks

Sean

Well, I know this might sound silly, but, with any American locomotive on any route I always start off in notch 1 and then build my speed up, no different to the British and German locos either. I know that you can't just shove the handle right across to notch 8, unless you want some spectacular screenshots of the exhaust plume, which would be fabulous on an old ALCO......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i7 10700k 3.8GHz Eight Core CPU, Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX3060ti 8GB, WIN10 PRO 64-bit. 10xTB in HDDs total.

The funny thing is I'm not too sure how many people are aware of the engine set-up. It wasn't in the tutorials pulled in 3 at first and though it was just crappy physics. They're not perfect but now at least it will slowly start to creep when the brakes are released on grade. Much more enjoyable now.

Now if they can only get rid of the lossengers and let me switch it efficiently and not their way it would be awesome. Even MSTS in the day simply had a finishing condition that it required for success and it was up to you to get it done.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    The funny thing is I'm not too sure how many people are aware of the engine set-up. It wasn't in the tutorials pulled in 3 at first and though it was just crappy physics. They're not perfect but now at least it will slowly start to creep when the brakes are released on grade. Much more enjoyable now.

Now if they can only get rid of the lossengers and let me switch it efficiently and not their way it would be awesome. Even MSTS in the day simply had a finishing condition that it required for success and it was up to you to get it done.

Thanks

Sean
    Everything in train simming is a compromise, especially if you're after North American content. MSTS is old, Open Rails is a big improvement on MSTS but still has a lot of the limitations, Run 8 is easily the most user-unfriendly simulator of any kind I've ever used and lacks in key areas also, TS2021 has massive amounts of content but the engine is terribly dated and almost every North American route or loco requires mods and unofficial patches to be any good as a real simulator, Derail Valley is quite fun but limited to one very Euro-centric map, no time of day or weather (though that will be fixed in the big "Simulator" update), no signals or AI, etc, Diesel Railcar Simulator has good simulation underpinnings but also a very narrow scope.. and then there's TSW2.

TSW2 excels with locomotive details (things to click or interactive with, and generally speaking, acting like the real thing.) Graphically it's the prettiest obviously. However it ALSO has some huge limitations, the elephant in the room being no tools for user created content, but also the route length and general complexity is woefully lacking in most cases. The new Cane Creek route is a good (bad?) example of that. It's a single track branch line with no signals. You drive up, drive down, use the loader and maybe make some setouts.. that's it. Exceedingly beautiful though. And because user creation is a no-go, once the activities and timetables have been experienced, that's it. You're done. Best case is you have some other DLC for it that you can spend time on so going back to the other route feels a little "fresher."

The TL;DR version of all this is that until something new comes along that manages to bring together the strong points of all these sims, we all just have to use what we're in the mood in at that particular moment. Right now I did the graphics and detailed trains in TSW2, and I like that I don't have to spend hours of my life fixing massively flawed activities, broken sounds, etc (not saying TSW2 isn't free of bugs, FAR from it, but it's good enough that you can pretty much just relax and drive the damn train.) If I feel like passenger runs with lots of AI moving to and fro and I'll fire up DRS. If I want the headache of managing a massive Southern Californian rail network all by myself I'll load up Run 8. And if there's some specific region or historical period or loco I want to drive that isn't available anywhere else there's TS2021.

Actually it wasn't too long after I posted this when this got old real quick for me. I originally thought the limit would be when I ran out of activities. Instead the limit came when falling asleep at night running for 2 hours on double track mainline with very little operation differences. Only the time of day and AI changed. The eye candy gets very old, very quickly. Entry price free, and worth all of that but not much more

It's still on my hard drive and good for inspiration on my own development. As far as the others you mention I can comment on most.

Run8 by far is where all my most recent major experience lies for about 7 years of quality time. For me it got old because MP the way I wanted to run it lacked enough bodies to support it. I actually was never worried about the lack of editors though they certainly would be beneficial to me and others I'm sure. I totally understand their decision on not wanting to have the editors to the public. My main issue I've had more recently would be public relations simply suck. Having a website with a copyright of 2019 with the last update in December of that year for soemthing that is in development is pathetic. The fanboys and diehards who want to make excuses for this, well I guess we agree to disagree then. BTW there is nothing wrong with either looking forward to V3, and update, or enjoying the sim in it's current form. Still Run8 stands as the trend maker in my opinion, and nothing can come close. If and when V3 arrives I'm sure it will be worth the pruchase for many and a good way to enter Run8. Not so sure about those who already own V2 but time will tell dead or alive. Run8 is worth every penny for every sim, route, and pack that I decided to purchase. A great 7 year investment.

Trainz was my first diver into real route building. It ran pretty good for me but I understand the issues in backwards compatiblity etc. that frustrate many. The limitiation is what drove me out of running train sims all together and has pushed me towards trying something myself. Entry price was $15 and was a steal, my son was also another $15 and he is creating routes to this day.

MSTS was the first big commitment in the early days of train sims. Buggy editors and all it's all we knew at the time and had a wide and expanding universe. Bought a few paywayre routes but otherwise nothing else. Well worth the money in the time I ran it. As for OR I know how tough it is to have a job, a family (for me just visiting son), and trying to program. It's going to take time and teamwork but they have made tremendous strides. I really wish them the best luck and think it's great what they are doing for the community.

Now if I could only retire right now, or stop time to develop a train simulator properly then I'd be happy.

Thanks

Sean