Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First thoughts of my virgin TSW run

Default First thoughts of my virgin TSW run

Well it's pretty!

The crazy thing is in many ways has more controls than Run8 (in others totally lacking). So I got as far as the 1st activity and it takes throttle 3 to get it moving? The isolate switches are all in run. The tutorial doesn't tell anything about running 2 locomotives together. Perhaps I'm spoiled by Run8 with the auto start etc. but at one time I remember starting these up manually. It should not take notch 3 to get 2 units to move. I checked hand brakes and they were all released. At one time it told me if I wanted to take control or something and then it just started running on it's own and I was done.

The tutorials focus on stupid crap like sounding the horn twice (which yes is important) but then not to bother turning lights on. It basically locks you in to it's way of doing things. I think noticed that the last time I took a look at Hamilton how it told you to go to here then go to here. Yet when you could really need help, the AI or tutorials are too stupid.

All of this for what so I can run one time like MSTS? At least MSTS and OR have editors. Glad I didn't pay a cent for this.

Any advice to get through one activity? Funny I can run just fine in Run8 which is supposed to be the strong learning curve.

Thanks

Sean

There should be a MU Switch next to the switch that sets cut off to freight. Check out some videos from YouTube, that’s what I’m doing

Which tutorial did you do? I did the CSX one, and the first thing they told me to do entering the cab was turn the headlights on.

Something that was truly atrocious in my opinion was the coupling and decoupling process. The only way you could describe it was awful. They didn't tell you where the decoupler was, which was around the wheel, so I had to run around that train car looking for the decoupler because they had the decoupling objective prompt over the middle of the train car.

And the animation and physics was just awful. The train car would become depressed and undepressed when you coupled and decoupled it. Is this even a thing in real life? How does the couple apply a downward force on the train car by simply being coupled.

And a nitpick here is that the airbrakes magically become coupled by themselves when you couple the train cars together. Wish they would actually allow you to couple the airbrakes by yourself instead of doing this.

Derail Valley does this whole coupling thing much better, with much better physics for coupling and decoupling.

Hello Sean. You've help me before with issues regarding Trainz. I'm sorry I can't return the favor here regarding TSW2. I am an unusal train sim enthusiast. I usually run the timetables to get use to operating the locomotives and exploring the two routes I run the most, the Sand Patch and Cane Creek routes. I also run daytime activities becuase of the poor lighting in most train sims. Like the previous reply, I watch YouTube videos to try and figure out some of this. I know you will figure it out if you wanted to spend more time on this sim.

My advice is to toss it in the bin and stick with OR and R8 for a more realistic experience.
    TSW2 is a train game....not a simulation.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

For me Trainz ran better in many ways. Honestly for 1 package it does have a fair amount of activities with it. I'm not sure what they tried to sell it for but with Run8 I was able to run it for years. It's kind of addictive but I can see getting tired of it or eventually out of activities.

It's a shame becase they had so much potential.

Ironically my son noted the ties are painted onto the ground. Perhaps I shouldn't of tried so hard in my attempts at programming

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Well it's pretty!

The crazy thing is in many ways has more controls than Run8 (in others totally lacking). So I got as far as the 1st activity and it takes throttle 3 to get it moving? The isolate switches are all in run. The tutorial doesn't tell anything about running 2 locomotives together. Perhaps I'm spoiled by Run8 with the auto start etc. but at one time I remember starting these up manually. It should not take notch 3 to get 2 units to move. I checked hand brakes and they were all released. At one time it told me if I wanted to take control or something and then it just started running on it's own and I was done.

The tutorials focus on stupid crap like sounding the horn twice (which yes is important) but then not to bother turning lights on. It basically locks you in to it's way of doing things. I think noticed that the last time I took a look at Hamilton how it told you to go to here then go to here. Yet when you could really need help, the AI or tutorials are too stupid.

All of this for what so I can run one time like MSTS? At least MSTS and OR have editors. Glad I didn't pay a cent for this.

Any advice to get through one activity? Funny I can run just fine in Run8 which is supposed to be the strong learning curve.

Thanks

Sean
    Sorry you were disappointed but not surprised you were. Thus like I said, for those interested in all the uproar about TSW2, the no good, extremely bad, and downright ugly of the sim and why only people in Kidde land think it's the best thing since PBJ, trying it for free is a good deal. You found out for yourself all the hype DTG promotes about is one big fairytale.

You will probably get more out of TSW running the UK or German commuter routes.
    Vern.

The game’s physics engine may have a problem, but two locomotives requiring notch 3 throttle isn’t the problem. It’s actually pretty dumb how badly Dovetail can screw up a tutorial.

If you try to accelerate with the locomotive in the default configuration, you’ll notice some screeching sound. This is because the brakes are applied in some form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eus4eZU1fC4

At 5:53, there’s a switch that needs to be set to lead instead of trail, which causes the brakes to still be applied in some form even after releasing both the automatic and independent brakes. This in turn causes the crazy 3 notch throttle requirement.

It’s kind of sad that none of their tutorials cover this, forcing people to go online to solve their problems. So much locomotive depth simply not covered by the tutorial. I would’ve expected this from a small indie game like Derail Valley, not TSW2.

Yeah I found out what that is. Amazingly this is a bit more sim in the operations of the train. In fact I'll go so far as to say this is more of a learning curve than Run8.

There are lots of activities that come with it but so far most traffic I find are at the terminals. I had to wait for one train coming out of the terminal which was a nice touch. But I'm hoping to see more mid way if appropriate. Having trains that represent the actual schedule would be nice but some how I doubt they match.

Lots of running not much substance. Just some pretty scenery that does get old pretty quick. It will stay on my hard drive and I'll go back to it from time to time.

I would check out the European routes as well. I'm not sure what this sold for over the past year or now but getting it for free it's obviously worth it's value. I'd even go so far as to say it's worth the $15 I paid for Traiz as that is a great value for Trainz. However once you get into Run8 territory you have repeat playability. Even if I finally grew tired of single player or lack of MP, there is no denying the years of entertainment it gave me. MSTS/OR not my cup of tea, but I'm trying to keep an open mind to it. Honestly I just don't know based of the videos I've seen of it looks like the same old MSTS.

Again I'm not sure what Run8 is doing to keep everyone engaged, Trainz is Trainz which works for some like me but breaks for others. TSW plan here is to move DLC thus the free get in. No offense to our European friends but these guys may know about manuals and how to get some things to work, but their tutorials show they don't know why North American does what it does and what is the appeal.

Again they all have plenty of potential but are missing the boat in my opinion.

Thanks

Sean