Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trouble installing Conbuilder.

If you try to run it once and it fails, your system (smartscreen thingy?) should prompt you to choose a compatibility mode when you execute setup a second time. No 'old school' right clicking involved. You have to run it, let it fail for outdated installer reasons, and then your system is smart enough to offer you compatibility modes when you run it a second time.

All my tools are in C:\Simulation, my arbitrary name, on the C: drive but away from program files. All my route and rolling stock content is on a different non-system drive ( F:\ )
    Last edited by geepster775; 08-06-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Erik, It appears you are telling me there is no hope of getting RD to work in Windows10, true?

My OR install is v1.3....are you recommending I install a later version, and, if so, that it will better be able to handle RD?

I think I really have only one issue with the loss of MSTS for the RD, and that is my favorite running position......the heads out view...not just for better viewing, but better, outside sounds too. I suppose there is no hope for a heads out view to be developed in OR?

AA

Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    Charles,
    The CB version is the one in the Trainsim file section. Freeware. V 2.4.9, the zip file is listed as CB249.
    The right click was, as instructed, on the exe file, instruction me to click on the compatibility tab. The problem for me is that there is no compatibility tab visible after the right click.

As instructed at the steam4me site, I have directed all my MSTS and OR installations to C:/xxxxxx, thus avoiding those program file issues, at least I hope that is the case.

AA

WHICH EXE file cbmsetup.exe or conbuilder.exe?
    Charles

Cannot duplicate. Both cbsetup.exe from 249 and conbuilder.exe display a Compatibility Tab after right clicking and selecting Properties using WIN 10 Pro. Do other EXE file display a Compatibility tab?
    Charles

Erik, It appears you are telling me there is no hope of getting RD to work in Windows10, true?
    That's correct. Ever since Vista/Win7, RailDriver has been unable to work with MSTS. (Specifically MSTS. It works fine with other simulators.)

My OR install is v1.3....are you recommending I install a later version, and, if so, that it will better be able to handle RD?
    "Ultimate" version by contributor PerpetualKid is on GitHub:
    https://github.com/perpetualKid/ORTS-MG

Carlo Santucci publishes his OR_NewYear_MG version on his download page:
    http://www.interazioni-educative.it/Downloads/index.php
    Carlo keeps a thread active on Elvas Tower and notifies of updates there.

Both of these versions have the updated, modern support for RailDriver written by PerpetualKid. Calibration and the ability to assign keys to the RailDriver buttons are Open Rails "Options" button menu. They appear on a "RailDriver" tab if you have the RailDriver plugged in before you start up Open Rails. This is a much better implementation of the RailDriver and it's slated to be included in version 1.4, I believe. For now, these versions tend to be highly recommended for RailDriver users.

You can have more than one version of Open Rails installed... BUT... Avoid using the auto-update feature. It may pull the wrong update. Just download and replace the Open Rails folder of the version you want to update.

Remember that saves may not work across different versions or updates.

I think I really have only one issue with the loss of MSTS for the RD, and that is my favorite running position......the heads out view...not just for better viewing, but better, outside sounds too. I suppose there is no hope for a heads out view to be developed in OR?
    Key mappings for the camera are different. Default for head-out view is "Home" key for head-out looking forward and "End" key for head-out looking backward. The arrow keys can turn and move the camera more from either starting point.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Open Rails and MSTS blog -- Back on the Web as of December 2021

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

As far as I am aware,(and I quote from the Steam4Me site:Windows 10 thinks it's "protecting" (but it interferes with the modification and installation of) files in the Program Files folder, often leading to errors with batch files running and activities unpacking. Installing MSTS outside "Program Files" also makes it much easier to move or access MSTS files across your wired or wireless network.)

This is the only reason to install MSTS direct to the "C" (or other drive).

I am not going to attempt to alter,modify or generally mess about with either CB,RR or any other utility,so I see no reason to put them anywhere other than where the installer wishes to put them.And I do not think a gremlin is going to do it either.They work fine !
    I actually find some remarks made quite patronising.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi Ragtimer.

re: "I actually find some remarks made quite patronising."

Please don't take things personally, you are a well respected
    member of the community but everyone has their own
    experience and it may fit the scenario as posted by the OP.

For example, I have different requirements but still learnt a
    lot from the input here.

Regards

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Yes,I have learnt much also,and am grateful to Ged Saunders especially for his utilities and to everyone else too numerous to mention for information,but I am not stupid and have learnt much from trial and error in the sim and by reading things here and at Steam4me.I thought a lot before I allowed CB and RR to be installed where the installer wanted to put them,but see my earlier remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Cannot duplicate. Both cbsetup.exe from 249 and conbuilder.exe display a Compatibility Tab after right clicking and selecting Properties using WIN 10 Pro. Do other EXE files display a Compatibility tab?
    No answer = no more help.
    Charles

My apologies, especially to crstagg, for my lack of attention to this thread. I've spent way too much time with the Olympics, a chronic weakness of mine. They are over now.

My problem with exe files was in finding the right one, finally I was able to correctly follow the instructions on steam4me, and obtain the compatibility tab, etc.
    I was incorrectly opening, while failing to unzip, files....and causing my own problems.

I appreciate all the responses. Hopefully, I can move on with installation now.

AA