Thread: Properly adapting MSTS content to Open Rails?

Question Properly adapting MSTS content to Open Rails?

Hi. If this is the wrong section to post this, please move it to where it belongs.

I'm trying to learn how to use Open Rails. I mostly have the intention of using old MSTS content in it, but I came to the realization a lot of MSTS content doesn't work properly in OR. Mainly related to the performance of the trains; sometimes they have brake issues, sometimes they don't accelerate as fast as they did in MSTS, among others. I know this is well known by OR experts.

I want to know if it's possible for me, an end user without too much knowledge, to address those issues by editing files with Notepad++. I tried to look for "OR conversion kits" but they always seem to be about specific pieces of stock or specific routes. I can't find any information on how to do one of these conversions for any content I want.

As far as I'm aware ORTS handles MSTS content just fine.
    There may be a few models that need the .eng or .wag files modified for ORTS but you can address those on a case by case basis.
    If you are using Win 10 you can use notepad to edit .wags and .engs. You really don't need another editor.
    I use notepad for most edits or Context if I'm working on a sigconfig or something where I need line numbers and such.

Welcome

Well, if you're accustomed to reading manuals -- OR has an excellent manual -- start with the basics of OR physics..Chapter 8

Peter Newell's ( steamer_ctn ) website is excellent for learning about OR physics and associated parameters... https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/physics/
    ...and...All sorts of examples about how-to-configure rolling stock -- with calculators for ORTS parameters.

You'll have to make some informed decisions about how you want to configure your MSTS rolling stock...
    1.) using "OpenRails" folders in the parent wagon and locomotive folders --- which keeps the MSTS stuff intact and adds OR physics parameters through the use of OpenRails folders and include files. ( getting one of those conversions kits and seeing how it was put together might be helpful to you and will provide an introduction to one use of include files )

2.) Constructing pure OR engine and wag files ---which may or may not use include files.

See this manual section>>> 8.16 OR-Specific Include Files for Modifying MSTS File Parameters

I want to know if it's possible for me, an end user without too much knowledge, to address those issues by editing files with Notepad++.
    Yes, but it's still a learning curve you will have to navigate...that will mean some research of forum threads, reading the manual and trial and error on your part.

There are some tools you should put in your toolkit...you've mentioned Notepad++, also many folks use ConText. ( EditRocket and TextCrawler Pro are others offering more features )

Here's some others that might prove useful to you:
    Any of Ged Saunders (slipperman ) utility programs for checking rolling stock, activities and associated files ( here in TS library )

FCalc2 for calculating the Davis Coefficients

Search and Replace for bulk addition or editing of OR parameters to existing or new files https://www.funduc.com/

I'm sure that's enough to get you started...there's lots of members that know this stuff, be patient and someone else will post. If you get into it and have some specific problems or questions, please feel free to PM me...cannot promise anything, other than I'll try to help, if I can.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

My understanding is that MSTS wag and eng files run just fine in ORTS.

They won't use all of the advanced physics or features without the mods, but that a Want not a Need.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

One problem I have seen in a couple of engines is them not being powerful enough when run in OR. For example, UK DMU models used in MidEast PLus (my favorite UK route) are totally underpowered in OR and hardly move. Once I increased the HP rating they ran fine.

Jon

MSTS set adhesion factor to 130% so all engines in MSTS had 30% better adhesion than they should.
    This setting may have made the engines feel more powerful.

OR setting AdhesionFactor = (user set) 100

This setting has been at 130% since OR was introduced.
    If you want prototypical adhesion, it needs to be set to 100%
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    MSTS set adhesion factor to 130% so all engines in MSTS had 30% better adhesion than they should.
    This setting may have made the engines feel more powerful.

OR setting AdhesionFactor = (user set) 100

This setting has been at 130% since OR was introduced.
    If you want prototypical adhesion, it needs to be set to 100%
    I set mine to 98% with the adhesion factor random change set at 7%. To hover adhesion in the upper 90 percent range with occasional spikes to 100%.

The difference is negligible but I feel dirty if anything exceeds 100% even for a split-second.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    My understanding is that MSTS wag and eng files run just fine in ORTS.

They won't use all of the advanced physics or features without the mods, but that a Want not a Need.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    As far as I'm aware ORTS handles MSTS content just fine.
    There may be a few models that need the .eng or .wag files modified for ORTS but you can address those on a case by case basis.
    If you are using Win 10 you can use notepad to edit .wags and .engs. You really don't need another editor.
    I use notepad for most edits or Context if I'm working on a sigconfig or something where I need line numbers and such.

Welcome
    My understanding also, however, as rdayt posted there are some case by case issues to deal with. Perhaps posting a specific example of the problems you are having will help us to help you. Car or locomotive...and if you've downloaded from the TS library...a download zip name would also help.

One case is: With quite a few MSTS locomotives the MaxPower line in the engine section of the eng file uses the UoM ( unit of measure ) as kN -- which is force...and the locomotive will not run or runs noticeably underpowered.
    The correct UoM is kW which is power.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.