Thread: Railroad Transportation Simulator Development

Default Railroad Transportation Simulator Development

Not sure what happened to my other thread. But I'll start this one. Perhaps I'll have to use my own forums more often, but obviously this reaches a bit further.

I was able to get the curved track started which ended up being an arch tilted 90 degrees. Scott was able to share some wisdom with me as far as the actual rails and I never thought of how the rail joints are seldom across from each other.

I'll probably create my own painted ballast and ties (if it's good enough for TSW2 it's good enough for me). This will allow me to run the rails properly. I'm going to fly my drone over the weekend to get some nice close up images of the rails from above showing both the ballast as well as how it looks with the joints in place and curves set up properly. Obviously the rails bend regardless of the joints. Hopefully I can get a seamless joint in place (and possibly forgoe the visible joints all together).

unnamed.jpg

Thanks

Sean

I finally got back into tonight. I know there was a time I had the axles moving, but I have no idea how I achieved it but I'm going to try again tomorrow evening.

I've been questioning how bad I want this, and how bad anyone really wants this. Sure it's one thing to want to do something you love, but when you actually want to build a product your eventually intending to make a few bucks off of is it worth said effort. This stuff is not easy and I could only imagine guys like John having to figure out things. At least he has a bit of support in the team for coding (or he did). The only support I have is the huge Unity community and it's difficult to express a train physics issue to somoene who doesn't know anything about trains if that makes sense.

I thought about lowering my expectations a bit, but obviously it's far below what I dreamed of having. I wanted to develop a full fledged train simulator for the ground up. I didn't expect miracles overnight or for it to program itself, I would have to do the work. I have a son and a full time job there is only so much time and I'm not geting any younger.

Perhaps if I go to my original approach and take my newly found modeling tools, I can make a descent 3D simulator from fixed camera angles (to avoid worrying about how the models rotate on the rails so much) and just deal with the simulation more. Get my AI ideas with the methodologies I already have developed into a program. So it wouldn't be a 3D simulator but it would be a railroad simulator with inteligent AI switching and dispatching along with RTS style operations for car fowarding.

I'm curious how people would feel about that?

Thanks

Sean

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    I finally got back into tonight. I know there was a time I had the axles moving, but I have no idea how I achieved it but I'm going to try again tomorrow evening.

Perhaps if I go to my original approach and take my newly found modeling tools, I can make a descent 3D simulator from fixed camera angles (to avoid worrying about how the models rotate on the rails so much) and just deal with the simulation more. Get my AI ideas with the methodologies I already have developed into a program. So it wouldn't be a 3D simulator but it would be a railroad simulator with inteligent AI switching and dispatching along with RTS style operations for car fowarding.

I'm curious how people would feel about that?

Thanks

Sean
    The Original Boso View Express By Macoy was 2-D, and I like it very much! Adding multiple cars and switching that base would be interesting!

Christopher Tarana

It's kind of funny, I mentioned this to my son and he told me why would I want to make a 3D with fixed cameras. I said LOD and to keep far enough away from the tracks and wheels to worry about simulating the physics of the trucks on the rails etc. He said just animate them and use the waypoints while making 3D rails, sticking with 2D ties buried in a 3D ballast roadbed. Then you have the free camera and you can do what you want. The only major difficulty would be to get all those waypoints on curves, but I have some programming math ideas that might make this work as well.

I'm going to still try some 3D methods of force to see if I can get this to work right. I'm going to chilax a bit though because why not.

Thanks

Sean