Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple gauges for one route?

Default Multiple gauges for one route?

so recently i've been thinking about making some Australian routes (like the Port Pririe Line, The Silverton Tramway, plus some of the Broken Hill line down the Temora Yanco and Hay lines down to Tocumwal (it'll be broken up into separate route so some like Port Pririe would be one route Silverton Tramway would be another and the other one will be a separate route as well since i think it'll be easier to have done in parts) anyway i want to have them set in the steam era (1950's-1960's) i was wondering if it's possible to represent two gauges in the same route (I'll be making them for Openrails as MSTS Doesn't work on my PC unfortunately This includes making rolling stock and scenery)

Yes, it can be done. I built a route with both narrow and standard. Here is where the two meet to exchange passengers or goods..
    dual.JPG
    Jim

There is some dual-gauge track out there, as well. I don't recall the gauges in that track (standard and 3', I think), or how complete the set is, but it's out there

Australia has Broad gauge (5"3') standard (4"8 1/2') 3"6' and 2" (only tourist railways now).
    Broad gauge is captured in the cities of Melbourne and Adelaide Metro systems. Standard gauge covers most of the country except Queensland which is 3"6'
    New Zealand is largely 3"6'
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Theblackjaguar303 View Post
    so recently i've been thinking about making some Australian routes (like the Port Pririe Line,.....
    Pirie.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    Yes, it can be done. I built a route with both narrow and standard. Here is where the two meet to exchange passengers or goods..
    dual.JPG
    Good night, Jim.
    Very beautiful screenshot.
    Can I know the name of this route and where I can find it?
    Thanks and regards.
    Mateus, from Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Australia has Broad gauge (5"3') standard (4"8 1/2') 3"6' and 2" (only tourist railways now).
    Broad gauge is captured in the cities of Melbourne and Adelaide Metro systems. Standard gauge covers most of the country except Queensland which is 3"6'
    New Zealand is largely 3"6'
    So is Victoria now converted to standard gauge? Didn't it use to be broad gauge in the past? And South Australia was 3' 6" narrow gauge.
    I remember reading in old books how to go from Sydney to Melbourne you had to change trains at the break of gauges in Albury.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Broad gauge is captive in the Melbourne and Adelaide metro areas.
    The freight network in SA and VIC are largely standard gauge.
    We can now travel from Perth to Brisbane on standard gauge.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by magmateus View Post
    Good night, Jim.
    Very beautiful screenshot.
    Can I know the name of this route and where I can find it?
    Thanks and regards.
    Mateus, from Portugal
    I created this route. It could not be released publicly because of the number of payware items used.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    I created this route. It could not be released publicly because of the number of payware items used.
    Thank you, Jim.
    I'm sorry but I understand.
    Greetings.
    Mateus