Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rogers Pass textures/terrtex

Hi,
    In Gerry's third screenshot, are those dark patches really Open Rails' attempt at shadows?? If so, they look terrible, and some of them don't seem to be 'linked' to any shape!!

@Peter : I don't see any 'bright green', just some lighter green textures.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,
    In Gerry's third screenshot, are those dark patches really Open Rails' attempt at shadows?? If so, they look terrible, and some of them don't seem to be 'linked' to any shape!!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Yes, those are supposed to be shadows

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Ged
    The OR graphics ( soon to be updated to Monogame framework ) can only work with what it is given. In this case, Ged...what is provided to OR for constructing dynamic shadows are shapes that are made by 20+ old code technology...garbage in -- garbage out...that's why they look like that.

The dynamic shadows you'll find in the new Mullan Route ( OR only ) from TrainSimulations are much finer, but still there is great room for improvement. With the move Monogame, new files created specifically for OR ( in planning and discussion stages ) and code improvements I'm sure they will steadily improve.

Remember, one of the goals of OR was to be backward compatible for MSTS legacy routes, equipment, and files...something not everyone thought was a good idea...but photos like that is what you get. I think those shadows are less than optimal ( nice way of saying crap ) but that's what you get from a cutting edge train simulator working with two decade old material.

(if cutting edge is a little too rich for ya...how about "in active code development"?)
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    ...Still cannot track down where the bright green comes from !
    My best suggestion is that you seeing one of the ace files in the TerrTex folder --- or a blending of one or more of the files found in the folder.
    ( not a route creator...so I'm guessing they can be blended or applied that way )

bandicam 2021-08-25 13-15-41-516.jpg

Some of what you are seeing has to be influenced by how MSTS renders these ace files and the color calibration of your monitor.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I found some of them.You are correct about the rendered colours not being exactly the same as the terrtex file looks when viewed in the folder.Drive down from through the Connaught tunnel to Fraine and you will see what I mean.I found that 1 culprit is the forestscrub file.It was difficult to realise that it was that one because of the above.I will sort the other one today !