Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locomotive Not Making Sounds Despite Aliasing

Default Locomotive Not Making Sounds Despite Aliasing

Having an infuriating issue aliasing a particular locomotive's sound file. This is something I've already set up successfully on numerous other locomotives in my trainset folder, including nearly all of P. Tyler Bundy's GP and SD locomotives, without issue.

Using NAVS locomotive soundsets available in the file library. All of the required sounds are installed and work properly for all the other engines that use them, except for the below:

Tyler Bundy's GP18s

As was done before on other locomotives that use the same sounds, I replaced each of the four GP18 .eng file's Sound entries with one of the following, per instructions:

for Exterior:

Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-0.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-1.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-2.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-3.sms” )

and for Interior:

Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-0.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-1.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-2.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-3.sms” )

Yet, for example, the engines that use 567C-0.sms and 567C-2.sms, the log file states:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS$WSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS$WSSWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSS$WWWWWWWCS

Warning: Cannot find G:\Programs\Games\Open Rails\OR - MSTS\Content\trains\trainset\IC_GP18_70s\ car sound file “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-0.sms”

Warning: Cannot find G:\Programs\Games\Open Rails\OR - MSTS\Content\trains\trainset\IC_GP18_70s\ car sound file “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-0.sms”

CS

Warning: Cannot find G:\Programs\Games\Open Rails\OR - MSTS\Content\trains\trainset\IC_GP18_70s\ car sound file “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-2.sms”

Warning: Cannot find G:\Programs\Games\Open Rails\OR - MSTS\Content\trains\trainset\IC_GP18_70s\ car sound file “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-2.sms”

CSCSCSCSCSCSCSCSCSCSCSCSCS

I've double, triple, quadruple checked everything - my entries, the paths, that the .sms files were actually there, etc. Everything is exactly where is should be, yet OR just isn't seeing it for some reason. Yet this works just fine for the F7s in my Trainset folder that use exactly the same aliasing and paths - only the F7s use a different .sms file and that is the only difference. The .sms file that the GP18s look for (X_567C-0.sms, 567C-0.sms, X_567C-2.sms, and 567C-2.sms) are all right there in the same place but OR just isn't seeing them, and I've no idea why this is happening.

At my wits end.

EDIT: Apparently, a log file of 40kb is too big for this forum to upload
    Last edited by Kuckoo; 08-24-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

I had this happen with another NAVS locomotive conversion last year.
    Everything was right where it was supposed to be but damned if it would see it.
    I moved on to other things but I'd like to get it working, so I'm all ears.
    I think you have to zip the log file to be able to attach it here.

Hi Kuckoo,
    Have you tried running my MSTS_Check utility? It might give you more information

I'm assuming you actually have the NAVS_Common folder in TRAINSET and not a sub-folder of TRAINSET?

However, if the soundset works for other locos in the same TRAINSET folder it's very likely to be how it's called from the locos in question or else there's a very simple error, maybe in spelling.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 08-24-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Kuckoo,
    Have you tried running my MSTS_Check utility? It might give you more information

I'm assuming you actually have the NAVS_Common folder in TRAINSET and not a sub-folder of TRAINSET?

However, if the soundset works for other locos in the same TRAINSET folder it's very likely to be how it's called from the locos in question or else there's a very simple error, maybe in spelling.

Cheers,
    Ged
    The Content Checker under Tools in the OR Launcher? Tried but I don't understand how to use it. Typed in /h and /help at the command prompt but it didn't recognize that, either lol... (*throws hands*)

Yes, the NAVS_COMMON folder is in the TRAINSET folder.

Also just tried renaming all of the .eng:
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-0.sms” ), and -1, -2, -3 entries into:
    Sound ( “X_567C-0.sms” ), -1, -2, -3

and copied all eight relevant .sms files into the local sound foder. Same result, no locomotive sounds.

The only thing left to try is just to copy the sound files from NAVS_COMMON to the local sound folder, but A) I've lost patience, and b) it is inefficient and would defeat the whole point of aliasing in the first place.
    Last edited by Kuckoo; 08-24-2021 at 05:23 PM.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    The Content Checker under Tools in the OR Launcher? Tried but I don't understand how to use it. Typed in /h and /help at the command prompt but it didn't recognize that, either lol... (*throws hands*)
    No, not the "Content Checker", Ged is referring to his utility found here in the library >>> msts_check.zip --- checks for missing cab views and sound files. I would also recommend sms_checker_v2_2.zip Which checks and validates certain aspects of the sound files.

Lastly ... msts_actman.zip for checking activities.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi Kuckoo,
    I have applied these sounds to a random GP9 from the library and they seem to work correctly in ORTS. OR didn't complain except about a "Resistance Unit" which couldn't be parsed because it's shown as "/m/s"!! The engine sounds are OK, BUT you do need to download navscF10.zip and add the various audio folders into the audio folder of NAVS_COMMON to get the horn and other sounds.

I didn't do anything 'funny' - just copied the NAVS_COMMON folder into my TRAINSET and added the appropriate SOUND lines into the .eng file!!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 08-24-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Kuckoo,
    I have applied these sounds to a random GP9 from the library and they seem to work correctly in ORTS. OR didn't complain except about a "Resistance Unit" which couldn't be parsed because it's shown as "/m/s"!! The engine sounds are OK, BUT you do need to download navscF10.zip and add the various audio folders into the audio folder of NAVS_COMMON to get the horn and other sounds.

I didn't do anything 'funny' - just copied the NAVS_COMMON folder into my TRAINSET and added the appropriate SOUND lines into the .eng file!!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Thanks, Ged.

navscf10.zip is already installed in the NAVS_COMMON folder.

Also, navs_567r_v1_2.zip, navs_emd_645c.zip, and 16-645e3_ta_rev1.zip are installed.

Everything that needs to be there is already present. The sounds work, but for some reason OR is not seeing the alias as I described below.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    Everything that needs to be there is already present. The sounds work, but for some reason OR is not seeing the alias as I described below.
    I know you've been banging your head against the wall...I've been there setting up my OpenRails folders in various equipment. Please carefully check your path strings again...I've never known OR to make a mistake in the log with this type of error...you've missed something.

Me after finding me errors ( of this type ) many many times >>>> DOH.jpg

Recheck the engine files and make sure the path strings are correct...pointing to the correct NAVS_COMMON location, look closely for extra spaces, misspellings, etc. I know you've probably done this, but please look again.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 08-24-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi Kuckoo,
    The sounds work, but for some reason OR is not seeing the alias as I described below.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense!!
    In an earlier post, you said you couldn't hear the loco sounds, now you say the "sounds work". Or, do you mean that the sounds work for other locos? If so, then please follow Gerry's advice and very carefully follow up all your sound links for these locos.. You haven't said if you've run MSTS_Check yet - it may not give any more information than the OR log, but I would have thought it worth a try!!

So that I can test with the same loco/s, please let me know which you are using (ie zip file name).

Cheers,
    Ged

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Those paths look a bit complicated !