Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Locomotive Not Making Sounds Despite Aliasing

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Those paths look a bit complicated !
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-0.sms” )
    Oh, I dunno, that is the same path you would commonly find in many MSTS files, just substitute Common.Snd for NAVS_COMMON.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Try with
    Sound ( “..\\..\\NAVS_COMMON\\audio\\EMD_567\\X_567C-0.sms” )

Hi Carlo,
    I can see what you've done, but using ORMG 103 with the originally created addressing -
    Sound ( "../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-3.sms" ) - works correctly, as far as I can tell

Cheers,
    Ged

Yes, exactly the way I've done all mine

Has any other content provider ever used a dash "-" rather than an underscore "_" in any aliasing process?

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Has any other content provider ever used a dash "-" rather than an underscore "_" in any aliasing process?
    I think I've seen some, I know I've used them with no problems, however, it's my opinion that best practice is to use double backslashes within quotes. Below is the best explanation for this that I've seen in our forums...but people still persist in "their way and my highway" sort of practice.
    From this thread at Elvas

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...20#entry201880
    Post# 24
    Posted Today, 09:52 PM
    James Ross "Backslashes must be doubled up because of support for escape codes (\n and \t). (Personally, I would only have expected this inside quoted strings, but OR does it outside as well.)"

View Postcr-stagg, on 29 April 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:
    Also the question about 1 or 2 slashes. See this post by James Ross http://www.elvastowe...post__p__182993
    James Ross "Backslashes must be doubled up because of support for escape codes (\n and \t). (Personally, I would only have expected this inside quoted strings, but OR does it outside as well.)"

The backslash ( \ ) is the correct path separation character for Microsoft Windows. This is a holdover from MS-DOS.
    In "C" programming languages (e.g. C, C++, C#), the backslash is a special character in text string data. The backslash signals the start of an escape, which in these computer terms means a special embedded code to represent non-printable or non-textual data. The curious can read more about this here. What this means, though, is that a single backslash in a text string is invalid and makes no sense, sort of like dividing by zero. To actually have a backslash, its escape sequence must be used, which is two: \\
    Escaped or continued (across multiple physical lines—this is common in .trk files) MSTS strings should always be double-quoted.
    Adding to point #1, the forward slash ( / ) may be sometimes accepted as a substitute for a backslash in Windows paths, but this is not official nor universal, and should not be relied upon. The forward slash is the standard path separation character for Unix operating systems, which is why you see them in URLs like http://google.com. So, do not confuse the two contexts.
    Forward slashes often seem to work in MSTS configuration files, and they also do not technically need enclosed in double-quotes, but it is still the wrong way to go about it.

Joseph
    [Jovet]
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I wish to thank everyone for their replies.

I just deleted the GP18 locomotives in question from the trainset folder. Just going to start over again from scratch when I have time.

There are at least 50, 60 or more locomotives in my trainset folder that use sounds aliased to the NAVS soundset, nearly all of which had to be manually edited as such. This includes all 3DTrainSim freeware v3 and v4 F-Series, and every one of P. Tyler Bundy's GPs and SDs, as well as NAVS own GP9 set including the recent 80s and 90s SOO GP9s. There have been no issue with sounds on any of these. Yet doing exactly the same thing with the GP18s brought about so much mystery, headache, and wasted time...

I agree, R. Steele, that the fault lies somewhere between the monitor and chair. Just no idea what it could have been, but I'm not blaming OR or NAVS.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    I wish to thank everyone for their replies....
    You should really consider taking Carlo Santucci's Advice ( in post #12 ) and make it a practice to use double backslashes within quotes.
    see also Jovet's and James Ross thoughts in my post #16
    Cheers, Gerry

Hi Kuckoo,
    SOLVED!!
    I copied your SOUND lines exactly as you had posted them then ran my MSTS_Check. This showed that the aliasing wasn't being actioned. The reason being that the 'double-quotes' around the entry weren't proper double-quotes!! Changing them to the Shift+2 version got the sounds working properly. This is even with the single path separators as originally supplied.

Technical note : the 'normal' double-quotes character accepted by MSTS/ORTS is ASCII code 34.
    The double-quotes used in the post are ASCII codes 147 and 148 for left and right double-quotes respectively, which are NOT acceptable!!

If, as I suspect, you had copied the lines directly off the NAVS_EMD567_1.2 README.txt document, that contains double-quotes which are different again and comprise up to 3 separate bytes!!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 08-25-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Kuckoo,
    SOLVED!!
    I copied your SOUND lines exactly as you had posted them then ran my MSTS_Check. This showed that the aliasing wasn't being actioned. The reason being that the 'double-quotes' around the entry weren't proper double-quotes!! Changing them to the Shift+2 version got the sounds working properly. This is even with the single path separators as originally supplied.

Technical note : the 'normal 'double-quotes character accepted by MSTS/ORTS is ASCII code 34.
    The double-quotes used in the post are ASCII codes 147 and 148 for left and right double-quotes respectively, which are NOT acceptable!!

If, as I suspect, you had copied the lines directly off the NAVS_EMD567_1.2 README.txt document, that contains double-quotes which are different again and comprise up to 3 separate bytes!!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Really?

That... is almost comical. Come to think of it, it actually is funny.

In this case I'd thought I'd be "clever" creating a template by copying and pasting paths from the instructions in the readme that came with the 567 sound pack, instead of manually typing in the paths as I had done before. You know, to reduce the chance of an error. Anyway, upon closer inspection the quotes that were copied from the readme are indeed the ASCII 147 and 148 type you speak of, the "opposed" quotes. Just typing the quotes produces the "normal" ASCII 34 quotes.

I haven't started reinstalling the GP38s again yet but this sure makes sense now. God, I thought I was losing my mind...

I'll come back to report if this worked. I'm guessing it will.

Thanks a million!

EDIT:
    Part of the templates I used, with the "bad" quotes. If anyone was curious why a template was needed in the first place, the NAVS sound installation, while straightforward, is a bit involved as it uses multiple soundsets that are phased slightly differently:

LATER MODEL

> External 567 C/D:
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-0.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-1.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-2.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/X_567C-3.sms” )

> Internal 567 C/D:
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-0.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-1.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-2.sms” )
    Sound ( “../../NAVS_COMMON/audio/EMD_567/567C-3.sms” )
    Last edited by Kuckoo; 08-25-2021 at 07:06 PM.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."