Thread: OR performance issues with 144 Hz monitor

Default OR performance issues with 144 Hz monitor

Hello all,

I have not run OR for several months, and upon opening it today, I'm finding it does not run as well as I'd like. I have purchased a new variable refresh rate monitor since I opened OR last, and I can't seem to find an appropriate match between display settings and OR settings.

My specs:
    Windows 10
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    AMD RX Vega 56
    16 GB 2133 RAM
    ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

If I have the resolution set to 144 HZ, the highest monitor setting, with vsync OFF in OR, it jitters and is not smooth at all, I'm assuming because OR can't handle variable refresh rate monitors? FPS fluctuate over 100 FPS.

If I set the refresh rate to 60 HZ, with vsync ON, OR runs much smoother, but moving trains appear blurry close-up. Reporting marks appear blurry or smeared at certain angles.

I've been playing around with certain settings in OR, such as "target frame rate," but this doesn't seem to effect the issue.

Does anybody have any advice on what might be causing these issues? Am I overlooking something? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by INRDfan View Post
    If I set the refresh rate to 60 HZ, with vsync ON, OR runs much smoother, but moving trains appear blurry close-up. Reporting marks appear blurry or smeared at certain angles....
    Your descriptive words "blurry" and "smeared" makes me think the settings in your video card need adjusting.

OR does quite well at 60FPS...you really shouldn't need much more, especially if your video card is state of the art.

I really don't know how OR handles different refresh rates, you will have to wait for other more knowledgeable members to comment about that aspect.

This is not a high end video game...nor probably will it ever be...it's a train simulator, not a first person shooter.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by INRDfan View Post
    Hello all,

I have not run OR for several months, and upon opening it today, I'm finding it does not run as well as I'd like. I have purchased a new variable refresh rate monitor since I opened OR last, and I can't seem to find an appropriate match between display settings and OR settings.

My specs:
    Windows 10
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    AMD RX Vega 56
    16 GB 2133 RAM
    ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

If I have the resolution set to 144 HZ, the highest monitor setting, with vsync OFF in OR, it jitters and is not smooth at all, I'm assuming because OR can't handle variable refresh rate monitors? FPS fluctuate over 100 FPS.

If I set the refresh rate to 60 HZ, with vsync ON, OR runs much smoother, but moving trains appear blurry close-up. Reporting marks appear blurry or smeared at certain angles.

I've been playing around with certain settings in OR, such as "target frame rate," but this doesn't seem to effect the issue.

Does anybody have any advice on what might be causing these issues? Am I overlooking something? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
    We would all like the fps to be higher :-)

There is no match between display and OR settings.

You cannot set the fps to 144, it is WAYYYY to high and its route dependent.

Setting "target frame rate" is a negative setting as you will always want it too high. This is why you are getting low quality as the sim will have to lower the quality to give you the frame rate you are asking for.

The issue here is that you are expecting more than your machine and OR can deliver.
    Cheers
    Derek

Hi Derek,
    The OP stated resolution at 144 HZ, not FPS.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

After some more experimenting, it seems the best combination is to set the monitor's refresh rate at 60 Hz and set vsync within OR to on. The issue remains that motion appears blurry. I'm not sure what video card setting this would be linked to; this does not occur in any other games. I realize that anything over 60 FPS is unnecessary, but I had attempted to leave the monitor at 144 HZ because that is its native refresh rate, and sometimes the variable sync does smooth things out in other games if FPS caps are unlimited, although I'm finding out OR is not Freesync/Gsync compatible.

Everything else seems to be fine having it capped at 60 FPS, apart from the blurryness.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Hi Derek,
    The OP stated resolution at 144 HZ, not FPS.

But what he wanted was 144fps :-)
    Cheers
    Derek

One of the things that I'm sure most people with 60Hz LCD monitors already realize is that objects moving rapidly across the view range will tend to "blur", as the OP mentioned. For example, when you drive past a sign. This isn't a fault but is simply the consequence of running an LCD monitor at 60Hz and 60FPS. There might be some monitors with software that can extrapolate interim frames to reduce this effect (note, this is not the same as layered frame buffering) but I'm only guessing here. At any rate, at those freqs there is nothing to be done about it.

All V-Sync does is make the image refresh more consistent and prevents image "tearing" that occurs when panning a view, for example. V-Sync basically coordinates the frame draw with the monitor's refresh. It doesn't actually improve frame rates, but instead makes (or tries to make) the rate performance you're getting appear more smooth.

Just because your monitor is capable of running at 144Hz doesn't mean that your graphics card can keep up with it. Unless you're running high-end gaming rig, 144FPS is asking a lot of your graphics hardware, especially if you're using a large display. If the the monitor is refreshing faster than the work the GPU is putting out you're going to get stuttering. If anything, you want the monitor to be the bottleneck, not the GPU.

Note also that when running OR with advanced physics the CPUs have a heavy workload. The Testing and Unstable versions do a much better job of this than the "recommended" release version, which, frankly, I do not recommend using anymore as it is now vastly obsolete. Go with at least the latest testing version. It performs much better, and has more features.
    Last edited by Kuckoo; 08-29-2021 at 12:27 AM.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Your descriptive words "blurry" and "smeared" makes me think the settings in your video card need adjusting.

OR does quite well at 60FPS...you really shouldn't need much more, especially if your video card is state of the art.

I really don't know how OR handles different refresh rates, you will have to wait for other more knowledgeable members to comment about that aspect.

This is not a high end video game...nor probably will it ever be...it's a train simulator, not a first person shooter.
    I hope this is relevant.

I run MSTS using OR MG 103.1 on an ASUS laptop with Intel i5 and integrated graphics,
    the MSTS install is on an USBC attached SSD and I get max 30FPS but even on
    15FPS the graphics are fine, no jerking or moiré.

It's like running MSTS on a very top end system.

Regards

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.