Thread: Deleting Signals question?

Default Deleting Signals question?

I wanted to change the signal system on a route. So I used Route Riter to delete all the instances of the signals from the world files. Unfortunealy this doesnt delete them from the track database file? So they still show as phantom signals on the route when I place new signals. So its like its double signaled. Did I perhaps miss a step or something. Or do I need to load my backup and manually go through the whole route deleting signals by hand. Thanks.

TSRE can remove signals from the TDB using the 'Hack" feature.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The only reliable way I know of is to actually go into the editor manually remove all the signals. I then use a track viewer-type program to check for any I'd missed. Only then do I install the new system. Having signals without definitions (like a partially-removed system) can cause major problems in a route

Thanks for the answers. It took a while chasing all over the map, but finally removed all the phantom signals. No more errors.

You were using a tool (route riter) that deleted scenery objects from W files, vs deleting interactives (items in W files that had a corresponding link in the TDB)

The route riter tool is good for deleting scenery items, like deleting all the 1930s telltales from Feather River to modernize the route, or finding and deleting track ballast transfers from Jerry Sulllivan routes before using TSRE to actually mosaic the route properly. Those are pure scenery items that are not interactives and have no corresponding link to the TDB.

Well the bad news for some of you is that I have no clue how to paint the ballast, so transfers will be found on all
    of my future routes. I should release the 3rd District of the CNO&TP (Southern Rwy.) around years end, but for the
    next 2 weeks, you will find me doing the docent thing on C&TS trains. I have the track mostly done for the 2nd
    District of the CNO&TP which will include 4 branches or independent lines, now mostly gone, and the track is about
    80% done on the 1st District of the CNO&TP which will start at Ludlow, KY rather than Cincinnati. I also don't like
    the huge physical size of routes with painted ballast & such. I admit that it looks nice but the price is high. However
    if you wish to release a modified version, have at it and just footnote me.

J. H. Sullivan
    retired from CSX & SR
    docent: Cumbres & Toltec Scenic

Friends,

Just got back from New Mexico Monday night about midnight after some small weather delays on the return flight
    and a unscheduled equipment change in Atlanta. It was a great 16 days in Chama, NM where I got in 5 trips as
    a docent including one in which a friend from Jacksonville was a passenger and my #2 great grandson was also
    on board. 5 trips in 16 days is about average - got to share the experience and the coordinator did a good job
    making sure that all docents present got in the required 5 trips to remain current. As soon as my internal clock
    resets to EDT, I'll get back on the 3rd district of the CNO&TP. I also visited Creede, CO on this trip and bought a
    very good history/picture book of the area, so there will be some adjustments to make on the SLRG route which
    is in the "unfinished" category on this library. Mainly the track splits just north of Creede with each side going
    about 1/2 mile up branches of Willow Creek. The last mine closed in 1985.

The civic center at Creede, where my wife went to a Quilting event, and which is also the location of the
    underground silver mine is interesting. The mine is not a real mine but is simulated by a curving
    tunnel which goes around the periphery of the civic center. The civic center is actually a hollowed out part of
    a rock clift, and from the outside all you see is a narrow, low, roofed strcture that acts as a entrance to the
    center and the simulated mine. Rather unique way to do it. The simulated mine has 24 stations and you wear
    a headset connected to a portable device that directs you to stations 1 -- 2 -- 3 etc. and at each explains what
    you see and what equipment is being "used".

J. H. Sullivan
    retired from CSX & SR
    docent: Cumbres & Toltec Scenic

Sounds interesting JH. We were just out in Colorado last week where we rode the "other" narrow gauge, the D&SNGRR. I had been on it back in 1974 but it was my wife's first time. We then drove up to Grand Junction via Ouray and Montrose. I think my wife had her eyes closed the entire time in the mountain passes North of Silverton. Then returned back East via the California Zephyr and the Lake Shore Limited. A fun time. Now I have to get back to my route building too.

Jon