Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale's Sisku Route

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Dale made it pretty clear he didn't appreciate the feedback he was getting on Trainsim.com so he stopped posting here back in February.

Unfortunate, because it looked like a decent albeit ambitious project.

Fortunately, the route *IS* captured in the Wayback machine with an update from April of this year, and isn't lost forever.

http://web.archive.org/web/202005021.../downloads.php

Grab it now while you can. You never know when someone will try to delete the internet.
    Unfortunately it would appear the actual file itself was not archived in that capture. The only route that I could find was from April 2020...

Yeah, that would be correct... I read 2020 as this year. Good thing I'm not writing checks....

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Any thoughts on finding the SDTS Terrain data?

Thanks.

Robert
    I would suspect that access to it is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by phydeaux View Post
    AJ, is there any way I can get hold of the latest revision before you and Dale shut it down?
    Sorry Larry, but I no longer have the route because I don't keep incomplete routes. Also I am not shutting down the website. Dale pays for the website and what he does with it is his own doing.

AJ

I have no knowledge of what happened but based on the comments above I will say that if the actual reason is Dale not liking the feedback his route generated that such events have been pretty routine over the years. Consider the Columbia Gorge from, oh, about 15 years ago; It's a beautiful route, detailed at a level far beyond the norm of its day, got trashed because the fps were low. Cal collected his marbles and went home, pretty much never to be heard from again.

What can I say but there are times when a$$holes can't keep their fingers off the keyboard and when they run into somebody who has put YEARS of work into a project, expecting to be congratulated for their massive effort and their gift to the community only to get hit in the face with shite, WE ALL LOSE.

My hope is this isn't the case here, that Dale just has life intruding and will soon return.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    I have no knowledge of what happened but based on the comments above I will say that if the actual reason is Dale not liking the feedback his route generated that such events have been pretty routine over the years. Consider the Columbia Gorge from, oh, about 15 years ago; It's a beautiful route, detailed at a level far beyond the norm of its day, got trashed because the fps were low. Cal collected his marbles and went home, pretty much never to be heard from again.

What can I say but there are times when a$$holes can't keep their fingers off the keyboard and when they run into somebody who has put YEARS of work into a project, expecting to be congratulated for their massive effort and their gift to the community only to get hit in the face with shite, WE ALL LOSE.

My hope is this isn't the case here, that Dale just has life intruding and will soon return.
    Honestly, this is the whole reason I am not even sure about releasing my own route when the time comes. Perhaps it would be sent to those that I know would appreciate it, rather than all the nit pick nonsense that goes on around here from those, that don't ever put in any effort, to making anything.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Honestly, this is the whole reason I am not even sure about releasing my own route when the time comes. Perhaps it would be sent to those that I know would appreciate it, rather than all the nit pick nonsense that goes on around here from those, that don't ever put in any effort, to making anything.
    I do understand. I've been working on the Cal-P off and on since ~2003 and Goose Island, oh, I dunno, maybe 2014. Like Dale I put a heck of a lot of time into research and from there into each route. In my case almost every shape and texture is custom made for the route. One day I'm looking at this 80 year old photo and I say to my wife "I know where this is... see the corner of that building peeping in there, that's the French Laundry on Poplar St." I couldn't care less if no one else appreciates that level of research. I CARE because I ENJOY DOING THAT. So did Dale.

So I think I've learned from others tho about releases and reactions: I don't give a damn what anyone thinks of my work. I KNOW what has gone into each and so I don't really need anyone to tell me one way or another what they think of each one. You don't want 100km of DM? Don't complain, just turn it down to what you want. Can't see the sense of 3d features? When you see it in 4k you will. Can't afford that? Sorry to hear you are constrained but that's not going to change what I do... because what I do is to please my own interests not yours, period.

Food for thought Shawn.
    Last edited by muskokaandtahoe; 09-15-2021 at 12:55 AM.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Yep, same with my routes. The journey has been the joy.

When I finish and what others think of my work is far less important to me...

When I finish and what others think of my work is far less important to me...
    ... as it should be... generally, people who hide behind their Internet personas are more often jerks than considerate people. It's the Gimme Pig issue that never goes away that needs to be ignored. The social networking rule of "never reading comments" applies here.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    https://github.com/pwillard/MSTS-replacement

It's not like we haven't seen this before emerge out of him. I seem to recall that part of Dale's issues early on were related to no one volunteering to help, which caused him to pause and abandon the website previously. He seemed to have an expectation that since he carried a passion for a certain geographic locale, in this case a secondary line through the Siskiyou mountains, that others should share that same passion and be willing to donate their time. The reality is when a route builder chooses a geographic location, others really are not obligated to share the same heightened interest levels. When it boils down to his vision and his choice, there really are no shared duty obligations involving others. If you receive help out of the blue, fantastic. But there really can't be demands placed upon others to contribute. And its troubling when the failure to bear 'helper' fruit becomes the cause of withdrawal of the entire project.

Something else I've noticed:

Twice now, Dale's project has received extraordinary attention via the Open Rails official website. The first time was when the freebie Zig-Zag routes and Scenic Sub routes were replaced with the Zig-Zag and the Siskiyou route. That lasted about a month, then Scenic returned. The most recent involved a shout-out for a series of 27(?) example micro-activities and demonstration videos showing the interaction between player trains and AI trains. None of his tutorial videos were ever on youtube and only could be downloaded from Dale's site. Meanwhile, other users are also creating Open Rails demonstration activities that showcase similar "pitch and catch" capabilities between player and AI and are placing them on youtube where there is a wider audience potential (i.e. not held hostage on the activity developers own website). Both times now, the entire Siskiyou route project has gone bye-bye shortly after being given extraordinary attention from the official Open Rails website. So my question to whomever was his friendly connection on the official team is "Have you learned anything about the durability of his offerings?"