Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train Director 3

Default Train Director 3

For some unfathomable reason I was led to the site for this despatching program, which, from what I understand, is the modern version of (but not directly related to) Train Dispatcher.

I had never heard of it until I wandered into the website. After reading about it I downloaded the core program and one "location" - Inverness, Scotland, noted as a gentle introduction to TD3.

And it is.
    Sitting back with a scotch and soda, routing little trains between Perth, Inverness and Wick, it makes for quite a calming activity after a stressful day (health issues ).

There are many routes to download - some look quite intensive - and everything is free.

https://www.backerstreet.com/traindir/en/trdireng.php
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Only two UK routes and both in Scotland, Bruce.

Which means a no thank you from me, but thank you for posting the info.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Inverness... Count me in!

Edit: Quick question Bruce... I've downloaded the Inverness and UK signalling files but can't see where to put these in the main programme folder.
    Last edited by NorthernWarrior; 09-17-2021 at 12:33 PM.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Inverness... Count me in!

Edit: Quick question Bruce... I've downloaded the Inverness and UK signalling files but can't see where to put these in the main programme folder.
    From what I can determine, Vern, you just put the Inverness.zip file directly into the main Train Director folder.....or you can create a folder called Inverness and put it in that.
    You DO NOT unzip it, as the program does this when you choose that route (this caveat applies to all routes/territories), but there is a README file in that zip, which you might like to read, as it contains some pertinent info regarding the RETB operation.

Apparently the route was updated (v1.2) to include the signals from the UK Signal pack. I wasn't aware of this as I had already downloaded that pack at the same time and just placed it (unzipped) in the main directory also.

It's not a bad little program and there appears to be a chat group in support.......Italian and English speaking.

I also grabbed the Aberdeen route and the long Finnish route.
    Being developed by an Italian core, the vast majority of the routes come from that country.

@MIKE
    Sorry it's not up your alley, mate.
    Last edited by seagoon; 09-17-2021 at 06:15 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Ah got it Bruce, thanks.

Unfortunately I find the display and text a tad on the small side. Currently trying to avoid straining my eyes too much as following a sudden outbreak of floaters, the Eye Clinic at the hospital diagnosed PVD (Posterior Vitreous Detachment) so far no retinal damage luckily.
    Vern.

Smile

@BRUCE,

you leave my alley alone you naughty boy

No Welsh routes or even English WR

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Unfortunately I find the display and text a tad on the small side. ....
    Just use the Zoom In, Vern, and then scroll left/right, up/down.

I also find the complete map view to be too small for play.....nice to see the entire network but not to operate with.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    No Welsh routes or even English WR

Mike.
    No...and that is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    No...and that is disappointing.
    No Australian either, Main South would have interested me. As it is the line i know most about in Australia.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Just use the Zoom In, Vern, and then scroll left/right, up/down.

I also find the complete map view to be too small for play.....nice to see the entire network but not to operate with.
    I see it now, shame there's not a hot key to activate though.

Personally I still prefer Simsig for UK territories or maybe PC Rail for the older semaphore controlled areas.
    Vern.