Thread: Is Msts needed to install activities for use in openrails.

Default Is Msts needed to install activities for use in openrails.

Well the title says it all just need to know if I need MSTS installed for activities that I want to use from the trainsim.com

GED's lilttle replacement APK extractor application to unpack APK files is all you should need. That said, no guarantees that activities built-for-MSTS many moons ago will work out of the box, timing-wise or path wise, with OR. I guess you can find out and report back.

We are on the verge of OR 1.4 (this week's Testing Version is really 1.4 release candidate 4). The ability to do new things in OR activities is going to overshadow the value of oldie file library content.

Quote Originally Posted by chilla View Post
    Well the title says it all just need to know if I need MSTS installed for activities that I want to use from the trainsim.com
    Well geepster answered the question about unpacking apk files...on the other hand, your question is so general? What specifically were you asking about? MSTS does not have to be installed in any form ( no BIN needed ) for OR to run any activities designed for MSTS...they are two separate executable programs, no relationship whatsoever. OR has backward compatibility to MSTS files, trainsets, and routes.

(it is true, that to properly load some older MSTS routes, you will need the default MSTS routes in a folder...for the shapes, etc and some activities use the default MSTS trainset...many users substitute more recent equipment in place of the older "US2" stuff.)
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Geepster what is the file name so I can find it.Also thank you i really didn't want to reinstall MSTS.

It is obvious but I think it needs to be said. The route in question must be installed and running in Open Rails before you attempt to add activities.

Quote Originally Posted by chilla View Post
    Geepster what is the file name so I can find it.Also thank you i really didn't want to reinstall MSTS.
    With geepsters permission ( beg pardon ) I'll barge in here ... the specific file you are looking for >>> apkex-v3-07.zip

However, it would be of benefit to you to use the word "saunders" and search the library...Ged ( slipperman ) has quite a suite of very useful tools for OR. Excellent for checking activities, finding missing cabviews and sound files and other chores...all highly recommended.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks for all the help.