Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stable Version - Open Rails 1.4 - Coming soon

Default Stable Version - Open Rails 1.4 - Coming soon

It's been a long time since the last Stable Version of Open Rails, so I'm very pleased to report that we are just days away from the next release - v1.4.

In preparing this release, we've made a number of changes to our systems, so that we can reasonably hope to deliver stable versions every 6 months in future.

A list of the improvements coming in v1.4 can be found here and this webpage will become part of the Open Rails website on release.

Of course, those of us who make use of the Testing Version updates will already be using all the goodies. Chief of these is the switch from XNA to MonoGame graphics. Although they look the same, the memory footprint is much smaller, MonoGame provides great potential for better graphics and also allows the use of ReShade.
    Chris Jakeman

I thought this day will never come.

The best news regarding Open Rails development in a long time. Can't wait for 1.4.

I have lot of hope for this Train Sim. It deserves it.

Thank you to everyone involved in this.

Good Day to All

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Again,sounds far too complicated although I like the brake overcharge feature (for information,after performing a brake test before working a train,certainly here in UK the brake pipe is then charged to about 5.5 bar (normal working pressure 5 bar) and which will then leak off to the pressure which the loco in use will maintain.)As the pressure drop is slow,the distributors on the stock do not react.This ensures that there will be no dragging brakes as the previous loco may have charged the brake pipe slightly higher than the new loco.

Great news. Looking forward to it!

I went through the launchpad milestone page, and some features even didn't make it: the long-wanted new 3D model format or at least extended .S model format:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/or/+spec/or-3d-format

Could you please remove it from the 1.4 milestone and add it to the 1.5 milestone ?

As for other things: congratulations on the long-awaited switch to MonoGame which is now done. But the absolute priority for version 1.5 is a stable and working 64-bit implementation. Even exclusive 64-bit (instead of AnyCPU .NET compile option) is preferred, since running modern, dense routes with high-poly models on 32-bit Windows versions will bring those machines to a halt (i.e. < 10 fps).
    Carlo's fork (which is already x64-exclusive) doesn't seem to get this right, or at least has been patchy in this area in the last versions, so it's time the core team takes a good look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mstsbe View Post
    Could you please remove it from the 1.4 milestone and add it to the 1.5 milestone ?
    Will do. We are working through the milestones right now to make sure entries are in the correct slot.

Quote Originally Posted by mstsbe View Post
    But the absolute priority for version 1.5 is a stable and working 64-bit implementation.
    Agreed. This one is high on my personal list.
    Chris Jakeman

Thanks for your encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    The best news regarding Open Rails development in a long time. Can't wait for 1.4.
    Users don't have to wait for the next Stable Version as they can always update to the Testing Version which is published on Friday evenings.

Nothing gets into this Testing Version unless it has already been exposed and tried out by other users in the Unstable Version first for a week or two. It's pretty solid.
    Chris Jakeman

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Again,sounds far too complicated although I like the brake overcharge feature

It is great to know one aspect of this over-complicated application finally meets with your approval.

Quote Originally Posted by cjakeman View Post
    Thanks for your encouragement.

Users don't have to wait for the next Stable Version as they can always update to the Testing Version which is published on Friday evenings.

Nothing gets into this Testing Version unless it has already been exposed and tried out by other users in the Unstable Version first for a week or two. It's pretty solid.
    I've been using either the testing/unstable ( or the monogame version ) for quite a while now and concur, all these are solid. Random crashes very rare, and if something does happen...the OR log always points to where the problem is. I believe I read that the option of more verbose entries ( detailed information ) will be available in 1.4?

Excellent work by the entire team of developers and all the users who continue to run all the versions, and provide feedback to the developers!
    BRAVO_Applause.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    It is great to know one aspect of this over-complicated application finally meets with your approval.
    Patronising