Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stable Version - Open Rails 1.4 - Coming soon

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Again,sounds far too complicated although I like the brake overcharge feature (for information,after performing a brake test before working a train,certainly here in UK the brake pipe is then charged to about 5.5 bar (normal working pressure 5 bar) and which will then leak off to the pressure which the loco in use will maintain.)As the pressure drop is slow,the distributors on the stock do not react.This ensures that there will be no dragging brakes as the previous loco may have charged the brake pipe slightly higher than the new loco.
    Hi Peter,

thanks for this post, I now have a much better idea of how the brakes work in relation to pressure.

It is very different to cars which have been my only real life experience.

Regards

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Again,sounds far too complicated...
    Appreciate your viewpoint, I've read your opinion and the reasoning behind it in other posts -- however -- there are settings that allow you to run OR in basic mode...no complications from advanced physics or ORTS parameters.

I've been running some of the activities in Mick Clarke's Mid East Plus route ( which I like very much -- excellent route ) using OR's basic mode, and find most everything works properly. There are always some differences with activities...but those are usually easily solved.

Of course, your experience with UK equipment and operations is much more extensive than mine so your criticism will be more nuanced and knowledgeable than mine...but I thoroughly enjoy the experience provided by OR in a basic MSTS mode. I usually run with advanced physics and settings for North American equipment and routes.

...And The Mid East Plus using OR Monogame with ReShade looks wonderful, amazing work with the MSTS RE.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 09-29-2021 at 05:01 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Further re UK freight train brakes,they are far superior to the Westinghouse used in the US where a doofus engineer (Al Krug's words) can run out of air.
    Here we have the PBL EP brake application system on the locos where the brake pipe is charged (normally) at 5 bar.The first application (just push a small lever (see the class 59,60 or 66 cabview available over at UKTrainsim)forward once and you get the "initial" application.All braking should normally done in "initial".It reduces the brake pipe by 0.4 bar and you get a 1 bar brake application.If required or necessary,the brake can be further applied,but not beyond a 1 bar reduction (more is seen as being out of control) and can be brought back to initial WITHOUT a full release,so you go back to 1 bar in the brake cylinder and do not run out of air even with the electric powered compressors on the Class 60.
    My problem with OR is lack of flexibility in views as compared with BIN MSTS,sound problems (and I have a good quality sound card) and in some routes,white voids.
    Brake rates do not seem to be right compared with my RW experience.In MSTS they can be changed for freight and pass (although I always ran our waste trains which were containers on freightliner flats in pass timings which gave much better train handling).

One of the large differences between British, American and Australian trains is the size.
    Trains in America are MUCH longer than in Britain. Australia only run trains of 1.8Km
    With longer trains it is much easier to run out of air, and much more likely when going over mountains.
    I remember a driver in New Zealand with 3 engines ran out of air and tipped the engines over on a downhill curve.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by cjakeman View Post
    Of course, those of us who make use of the Testing Version updates will already be using all the goodies. Chief of these is the switch from XNA to MonoGame graphics. Although they look the same, the memory footprint is much smaller, MonoGame provides great potential for better graphics and also allows the use of ReShade.
    Been using only the Testing and so-called "Unstable" versions for I-don't-know-how-long now. If anything the Testing and Unstable versions have proven to be more reliable than the Stable version. Can even use sharper shadow textures at longer distances (2048 resolution at 3 km, shadow map count at 5) and still enjoy better performance than at default settings in the stable version. Vastly superior in every way. The improved physics are particularly impressive, especially when the Simulation and Experimental options are appropriately dialed in for the most realistic behavior (98% adhesion with 7% random factor change, etc.).

Kept track of all the improvements over time. It's almost incredible how much work has gone into it.
    Last edited by Kuckoo; 09-30-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

My problem with OR is ... in some routes,white voids.
    That isn't OR's fault. White voids are an issue encountered in MSTS without bin. With OR (latest Testing version, I don't bother with the release version), the white void issue is resolved without the need for bin.

This is common knowledge, even for a trainsim noob like myself.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I am using bin,no white voids

I am using bin,no white voids
    I believe you, but the MSTS style white voids (eliminated in MSTS simulation by Bin) most definitely do not appear in OR. So if you are seeing something like that in OR...please find the route, generate a log so it can be examined...it could be a problem with your setup --- or some bug no one has seen, that I know of.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

The number of routes in OR with white void problems is quite low when one considers the sheer number of routes that have been made over the passing years.

The white void in OR is usually caused by having terrain tiles that are too big, a route building fault. There have been other causes, but far as I recall, these have all been addressed by code adjustments in successive OR versions.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    The number of routes in OR with white void problems is quite low when one considers the sheer number of routes that have been made over the passing years.

The white void in OR is usually caused by having terrain tiles that are too big, a route building fault. There have been other causes, but far as I recall, these have all been addressed by code adjustments in successive OR versions.
    Last I checked, OR supported 2x2 standard sized tiles as maximum. Any tile extracted larger than that would white boid.

Has that now been extended to cover all sized tiles?