Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off to the Rat Race

Default Off to the Rat Race

Hi Folks,

Re: 1923 "American Flyer" Osgood Bradley Commuter Coaches.

Always have a few buns in the oven.

Manufacturer Plans found on Flickr:
    https://flic.kr/p/2k4sGGt

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best iron to have in the fire is one of many (don't ask me how I know that...). That will be a great addition to any trainset when it's done

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    The best iron to have in the fire is one of many (don't ask me how I know that...). That will be a great addition to any trainset when it's done
    Hi Travis,

Yep - noted your vast contributions to this hobby - I find myself easily distracted by tangents when modeling. While I work harder with textures - throwing polys is far more enjoyable and rewarding. Packaging up and finalizing the model (different numbers with unique paint variations) - for me - is like pulling teeth.

The hardest part for me - is finding plans for the equipment I want to model. The original Osgood Bradley plans I linked above were just an opportunity too good to pass up - pure gold. I haven't spent much time with passenger operations in this hobby. My next locomotive will need some passenger cars. Will model with and without the fairing.

DSC00597.jpg

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-02-2021 at 01:40 PM.

So, are you planning to do the American Flyers, or a heavyweights like one in the plan found at that link?
    (Please say you're planning to do both!)

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    So, are you planning to do the American Flyers, or a heavyweights like one in the plan found at that link?
    (Please say you're planning to do both!)
    Hi Dave,

Hah - that's right - I started my search for the "American Flyers" and I came across the older model posted above first - not realizing the "American Flyer" term only referred to the latter.

I am interested in the later model Osgood Bradley coaches as well - they seem to have been used by a variety of roads - coast to coast - with both steam and diesel - while I've accumulated some data - a larger more detailed plan would be helpful. Even accurate dimensional data that I could annotate the drawing I do have.

Here's the only drawing I could find (no dimensions or scale):
    LV%20plan.jpg-nggid03359-ngg0dyn-0x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

If you have or could find any more information on the prototype, it would help advance the cause. I'm assuming they are 80 footers. The following model has the roof type and skirting I would probably be interested in doing (apparently they vary).

Regards,
    Scott

The plans I have for the American Flyers are all marked "not to scale", but the length from buffer to buffer is listed as 84'-6¼". Hope that helps.

Hi Dave,

That would help - I'm also assuming 36" wheels and 8' between axels - as that's what the older cars used and the trucks appear similar albeit older=friction and newer=roller.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-02-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Correct on both assumptions.
    Also, they were 13'-4" from the rail to the top of the roof, and 10'-0¼" wide not counting the grab irons.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    Correct on both assumptions.
    Also, they were 13'-4" from the rail to the top of the roof, and 10'-0¼" wide not counting the grab irons.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks. This should get me started and I can markup that plan I do have - accordingly. I can then extrapolate other measurements. It's nice getting help.

Heavyweights made it into sim and wheels and trucks work properly - car spacing is close - a good start.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-02-2021 at 09:50 PM.

Packaging up and finalizing the model (different numbers with unique paint variations) - for me - is like pulling teeth.
    I really relate to that.

http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    https://github.com/pwillard/MSTS-replacement