Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off to the Rat Race

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    I really relate to that.
    Hi Pete,

Now THAT's SWEET - puts my crude shapes to shame - and - here I thought you were strictly a roller bearing guy.

Regards,
    Scott

Those two axle coaches look a lot like the commuter coaches used by the Rock Island and the Lackawana that found their way to the IRM. The 1927 Rock cars are 81' and the 1914 DLW cars are 70'... none are 84' out of those varieties.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. Dave steered me onto “Car Builder Cyclopedia” and I found they have a bunch of these very expensive tomes on Google Books for free. I searched last night and I’m pretty sure I found the car in question in the 1947 volume - it had the top down profile with dimensions but I didn’t bookmark it. Hah - I can’t figure out how I got there last night - it was late - and I need to search in earnest when I get some time. I’ll add that to this discussion when I do.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

OK - it was the 1946 volume.

Capture.JPG

Apparently someone already made it for Trainz:

K&L Trainz

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    ... none are 84' out of those varieties.
    Nor would they be. The dimensions given were for American Flyers. See the plan Scott posted.

Default Off to the Rat Race

Hi Folks,

Just an FYI - for those unfamiliar - these “Car Builder Cyclopedia’s” are a veritable treasure trove for modelers. They are chock full of plans for all kinds of freight and passenger cars spanning half a century or more. I could have used these when researching the boxcars, hoppers, reefers, and flat cars I’ve already made.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    Nor would they be. The dimensions given were for American Flyers. See the plan Scott posted.
    I was referring to the "used by other roads" comment.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Just an FYI - for those unfamiliar - these “Car Builder Cyclopedia’s” are a veritable treasure trove for modelers. They are chock full of plans for all kinds of freight and passenger cars spanning half a century or more. I could have used these when researching the boxcars, hoppers, reefers, and flat cars I’ve already made.

Regards,
    Scott

They are a bit pricey for being used books. I need plans for the Vert-A-Pacs. Built from 1970 to 1977. Is there a good chance this car is in the book for one of those years? Is there a link with a index for the publishing years? EDIT: Depends on where one shops. Copies I've looked at range from around $45 to a 1903 copy for $1200.
    Last edited by rt35ge; 10-04-2021 at 01:22 AM.

Do you have a link for the free copies? I can't find a thing...... EDIT: Never mind. I found it. Not thinking. Google Books, Duh!!
    Last edited by rt35ge; 10-04-2021 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    Do you have a link for the free copies? I can't find a thing...... EDIT: Never mind. I found it. Not thinking. Google Books, Duh!!
    Hi.

I also found some on "HathiTrust".

I haven't seen any in the 70's online - I've been in the 1895, 1925, 1946.

Regards,
    Scott