Thread: Creating SkyDomes

Default Creating SkyDomes

I have some fairly interesting sky photos that I've taken and would like to try my luck at possible creating some skydomes. Do any of you know where I might find information on creating skydomes from photographs? Thanks in advance for any direction or guidance you might have.

Larry
    Larry Steiner
    Grand Rapids, MI
    (CSX Country)

Quote Originally Posted by phydeaux View Post
    I have some fairly interesting sky photos that I've taken and would like to try my luck at possible creating some skydomes. Do any of you know where I might find information on creating skydomes from photographs? Thanks in advance for any direction or guidance you might have.

Larry
    Hi Larry,

Spent a great deal of time and even some cash trying to build a better skydome for ORTS. There are some serious distortion issues inherent in the skydome texture application within ORTS that can only be fixed by a developer. Sadly - I didn't have much interest from any of the developers while I worked on it or it could have been just beyond what they know. I believe the guy who initially worked the environment left long ago.

That said - if you have a standard panoramic image - you can use "distortion effects" in a paint program to give it polar coordinates - so it matches the texture you see in the current skydome.

You can follow my trials and tribulations here:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ome-Terragen-2

There's a link in my thread to a 10,000x10,000 pixel skydome test.

Regards,
    Scott

Is there any valid reason why we are using a dome for the sky. Both ATS and ETS2 use a box and that looks very good when compared to our dome.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Is there any valid reason why we are using a dome for the sky. Both ATS and ETS2 use a box and that looks very good when compared to our dome.
    Hi Mervyn,

As I’m pretty sure you dabble on both side of the fence - as do I - even FS9 has far better skies than we do in ORTS (which I’ve edited before). Given our present conundrum with texture distortion - anything would be an improvement - Hah - well maybe not the environmental mess that MSTS was.

I had plans to generate all kinds of different skydomes with Terragen to represent various weather conditions - however - the distortion of the final images by the sim didn’t make it worth my while.

I think it’s just lack of time/interest/skill from a qualified ORTS developer - to work on the environment. I’m fairly competent with textures and would gladly work with someone who can code - to improve this aspect of our sim for all.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk