Thread: Brighton Main Line

Default Brighton Main Line

Wondered if anyone else is trying this out? I made the mistake (!) of falling for the Season Pass at the last minute and got this along with Boston to Providence (which I haven't really tried) and Dresden to Riesa which I call dreary Dresden because it is yet another flat modern German route running the same plastic trains that are already in the game.

Back to Brighton, the route is nice but far too ambitious for the capabilities of TSW.

Many players including myself experiencing severe stuttering and sound drop outs. The timetable is very fragile, the sheer number of trains is overwhelming the programme and leading to stand offs or the train service simply falls apart. I found this the case particularly reloading a saved game even though my service restored okay, other trains do not which then throws out any sequencing and order again putting the AI signaller into meltdown.

On an aesthetic level, the Class 377 and 387 are bland modern electric units, no real challenge to drive = plastic trains. If you go round to Reigate the scenery isn't even finished, at the east end of the station leading off stage to the "portal" the level crossing isn't even in place where the main road crosses the railway.

Rush Hour was a great marketing idea but just falls down in the face of the poor platform it runs on.
    Vern.

In answer to my own question, it appears not!

Never has a route had so many issues and it does feel like we the customer have actually paid to beta test this.

I keep vowing not to get seduced again by DTG's hype but yet again I fell for it, thinking they must have put right the save game fragility that has plagued the core game since release.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .....it does feel like we the customer have actually paid to beta test this.
    Chalk it up to experience, Vern. It certainly wouldn't be the first time any of us have been sucked in by DTG.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Sucked in, spat out and generally been messed about by DTG.

Undecided which is worse DTG or N3V.
    Yma O Hyd

I think you're right guys. Having "Mr. Muggins" tattooed on my forehead.

There are huge threads about this on the official Dovetail Forum but complete silence from the company. The save game not restoring correctly has been an issue since Day 1 of the sim - did they really think people wouldn't notice. That said, there is still the odd fanboy over there who suggest as a solution DTG should scrap the save game feature, or admit they are happy to burn their eyes out for hours at a time playing the game. Shove right off on that one!

And as a tribute to the level of DTG quality control and putting out a polished finished product, check out Reigate. Despite the line continuing beyond the station towards the takeout and spawn portals, the level crossing at the east end is just track across the road, no barriers, lights or anything. The area in the reality is quite built up but the DTG version has bare land and a few bushes scattered. On the Quarry Line I could swear several sections of lineside fencing were absent, though there's always the possibility the route and game are so sluggish, they simply didn't draw in.

With regard to N3V, I am fully expecting the next version of Trainz to be subscription model only in which case they can also shove right off. They've already created several layers of customer confusion with the varying versions of TRS19, not to mention the various service packs which break more than they fix.
    Vern.

I am with you Vern, everyone can shove right off

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

One use for the Brighton line is that it finally gives a longer run for the UK diesels. Having only one train solves most of the stuttering and sound dropouts and Off The Rails mode seems to work with the Save function too. And unlikely the crappy Plasticstars, at least you can see where you’re going out the cab front.
    Vern.