Thread: Emergency brake release

Red face Emergency brake release

This I should know the answer to. I was away from OR for a few years and am old and forgetful. (My wife says)

At times, for unknown reasons to myself, the train will go into emergency. I have one heck of a time getting it out of emergency and getting the BC pressure to 0. Tried bail off, tried to release from keyboard ; this was a problem for me before and ,somehow, I dealt with it.

I know this is a basic question but I do not find much about braking in the manual.

Any help appreciated.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Default Open Rails Manual and Emergency Brake Handling

Dave,

Backspace Key releases Emergency Brake IF it was pressed otherwise the [SHIFT] + / will initialize the train brakes.

In OR press the F1 key for a listing of all keyboard commands.
    Also in on the Open Rails opening screen under the OPTIONS >>> Keyboard Tab you can see all commands.
    Then there is also the excellent Open Rails Manual which is searchable.

If you run your train off path, that is in activity mode you will trigger an emergency brake application. You can reset by giong into Manual Mode and then Initializing Brakes as mentioned above.
    I'll leave it to you to lookup Manual Mode in the OR Manual.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 10-09-2021 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add info
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thanks Vince.

Read the manual several times this week. Tried the shift+/. Seems to work ok but had to bleed of some of the BC air with the ; key first. I'll get it worked out and I appreciate the help.

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    This I should know the answer to. I was away from OR for a few years and am old and forgetful. (My wife says)

At times, for unknown reasons to myself, the train will go into emergency. I have one heck of a time getting it out of emergency and getting the BC pressure to 0. Tried bail off, tried to release from keyboard ; this was a problem for me before and ,somehow, I dealt with it.

I know this is a basic question but I do not find much about braking in the manual.

Any help appreciated.
    Vince has {as usual!}given very good advice. But lets find out WHY you are going "in the hole" in the first place. If you are running a signal that would trigger an Emergency application of course. If you are deviating from the PATH then when you hit the "F4" Track Monitor the "train" would be red. If that is the problem the go to "Manuel"as Vince suggests. However and this is important.You MUST be back on the programmed PATH and running inits direction before you return to Auto. Sometimes if you go into the "DispatchersWindow" and scroll around you will also go into "Emergency".Uncoupling without disconnecting your hoses also causes an undesired application as well.These are some of the things that might be causing you problems.Hope it helped! Brian

Thanks Brian,

Not running signals.. That is programed in me from the days running steam. (Real world engines) many years ago. Might have run off path although in automatic the consist would stay on path. However, I was running a dark route this time and might have gone off path. I should remember this stuff but at age 88 the old memory is slow to recall.

I remember a few big holes from the real world past but that usually was a broken coupler. I'll work with this and get familiar again. I used to run OR a lot but got away from it due to other factors.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Hi Dave,

The log file will most often list the reason for an emergency stop!
    Cheers
    Derek

Thanks Derek,
    I'll look at that next time the train goes into emer stop.

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    Thanks Brian,

Not running signals.. That is programed in me from the days running steam. (Real world engines) many years ago. Might have run off path although in automatic the consist would stay on path. However, I was running a dark route this time and might have gone off path. I should remember this stuff but at age 88 the old memory is slow to recall.

I remember a few big holes from the real world past but that usually was a broken coupler. I'll work with this and get familiar again. I used to run OR a lot but got away from it due to other factors.
    No problem buddy! Good to hear from another ex railroader.Retired myself after 33 years,first as a Conductor for 2 and then an Engineer for the remainder. Missed PTC{Thank God}. Actually RAN my train,when all the bells and whistles came in-it just became too easy and boring! Got out when I no longer enjoyed going to work with smart alecks with hours of experience who thought they knew it all{The hearing officer loved them!!} Any assistance that I can offer you,dont hesitate. Brian