Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We Lose another website???

Got to be honest my Transport Sim UK website has now joined the list of fallen flags. I hadn't touched it in terms of updating for months if not years. Situation wasn't helped by the web host (Forge Digital) deciding to go upmarket, killed off the existing User and Account Tools and replaced these with a flashy front end that gave no indication how to access the file side of things. Numerous attempts to contact via form and email went unanswered, thought about a snail mail letter but checking the given address on Street View showed the location as a tatty run down terraced house, opposite a Turkish Barber shop in a small South Yorkshire town. So like as not, just a mail drop.

So a couple of weeks ago when I started getting reminders from Nominet that the domain registration was nearly up, I just went to the relevant part of their site and told them the web address was no longer required. I sent a further contact form and email to the host asking them to delete the pages, not surprised to receive no response.

The site had been through a succession of cheap hosting which was adequate but ultimately failed - however I'm not paying £100's to host a site I have little interest in maintaining for a hobby where my enthusiasm waxed many years ago and has now declined to a more casual interest. There are better more flashier resources out there than a largely text based site thrown together using a 20yo edition of Dreamweaver which only just ran under Win 10 anyway!
    Vern.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    Didn't you ask the same question earlier this month or last month? I have no interest in Indian railroads so I can't help you. I just recall you asked about it recently as well.
    "Nit Picking"
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianRailways1601 View Post
    Yup, the website is down.

It was really useful for most of us, plus it had Mr. Sachin Yadav's absolutely fabulous EMU and brake van models. I think it used to host more files earlier, but there were only about 5 or 6 the last time I visited the site. It was fun while it existed, I really hope something can be done to bring it back.
    Hi

I have not read this whole thread but if the site had a prominent "donate" link
    I, and others would have supported it.

This is not a criticism but "friendly advice."

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Well, bumping this thread just a little bit. I finally brought my little blog/website back up on a new host platform. I'd taken the time to take a good backup of everything, and it made its way back to life from the restore file with no major problems.

So, a few references and links are back in action, for what it's worth.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Open Rails and MSTS blog -- Back on the Web as of December 2021