Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emer braking

Default Emer braking

Running an activity made with Steve Davis's Activity generator. Running NCR v3.1. Activity is from Bucksport Industry to Fields Landing with pick ups and setouts. As the F6 station labels does not display any labels I assume the opening screen is in Bucksport. I am located on a yard track. If I move forward about 30' the brakes dump. If I move rearward to where the yard leads expand into more leads the brakes dump. Track monitor in both reverse and forward show the red line "End of authority" This is a dark route so no signals.

A second activity made the same way will proceed fine for about one minute when it crosses the red bar on the track monitor and dumps the air.

The only activity to run correctly is the Samoa turn which is included in the route install. The other acts downloaded with the route do not run.

My other routes run fine in ORTS.

Tried to attach the log. Note says OR log of 20kb is too large to update. Limit is 19.5 K/ Strange as I have uploaded logs previously.

Help appreciated. Any other way to up load the log??

Dave

System specs
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
    Last edited by prr4ever; 10-14-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: add specs
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Zip the log then upload.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    ...As the F6 station labels does not display any labels ...
    Shift+f6 will display different combinations of platforms and sidings...if the activity has actual pickups and drops ( or station stops ) encoded into the activity only the sidings or stations involved in the activity are shown.

From the Manual >>>
    7.4.5 F6 Siding and Platform Names:
    Hit the <F6> key to reveal labels naming the siding and platforms. Hit it again to hide them. Items more distant will show more faded and platforms disappear altogether if more than 1km away from the user; sidings disappear if more than 0.5km away. Use <Shift+F6> to cycle through platforms only (in yellow), sidings only (in orange), and both together. If the user is in Activity Mode or Timetable Mode, then a 4th step is added to the cycle and this step removes any labels not relevant to the activity or timetable.

If I move forward about 30' the brakes dump. If I move rearward to where the yard leads expand into more leads the brakes dump. Track monitor in both reverse and forward show the red line "End of authority"
    More than likely this is a classic MSTS "short player path" activity, start and run the activity in manual mode - Ctrl+M.

To throw switches follow procedures outlined in the manual:
    7.4.7 F8 Switch Monitor
    Use the Switch Monitor, enabled by the F8 key, to see the direction of the turnout directly in front and behind the train.
    There are 4 ways to change the direction:
    • Click on the turnout icon in the Switch Monitor;
    • Press the G key (or, for the turnout behind the train, the <Shift+G> key);
    • Hold down the Alt key and use the left mouse button to click on the switch in the MainWindow;
    • Use the dispatcher window.
    Please note that with the last two methods you can throw any switch, not only the one in front but also the one behind the train.
    However, note also that not all switches can be thrown: in some cases the built-in AI dispatcher holds the switch in a state to allow trains (especially AI trains) to follow their predefined path. The arrow and eye symbols have the same meaning as in the track monitor. The switch is red when it is reserved or occupied by the train, and green when it is free. A switch shown in green can be operated, a switch shown in red is locked.
    Be patient with yourself, OR can have a steep learning curve, we've all been there, and are still on it...it is easier if one keeps up with current developments, but life intervenes --- so that's not always possible.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 10-14-2021 at 08:30 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks Gerry,

You guys must be getting tired of my sometimes questions that can be answered in the manual. I have run MSTS since it was released, 100 years ago. I have run ORTS from when it was young. But, for about the past 5 years or so other things in life have kept me away from it all. At my age now remembering all short cuts, tricks etc have escaped me so I do appreciate all you folks patience.

I had mentioned before in this post the the F8 key does nothing. I know what it is supposed to do and what it has always done. Now it beeps and that is all, no display.This is true of all routes.

I recently moved MSTS to my C:\ drive directly, getting it out of the Program files etc path. That has not seemed to effect it except to change the path in some of the add-ons. I am going to run a route in MSTS not using OR and see if the F8 key works there. Trying to eliminate some things.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Thanks Gerry,

You guys must be getting tired of my sometimes questions that can be answered in the manual. I have run MSTS since it was released, 100 years ago. I have run ORTS from when it was young. But, for about the past 5 years or so other things in life have kept me away from it all. At my age now remembering all short cuts, tricks etc have escaped me so I do appreciate all you folks patience.

I had mentioned before in this post the the F8 key does nothing. I know what it is supposed to do and what it has always done. Now it beeps and that is all, no display.This is true of all routes.

I recently moved MSTS to my C:\ drive directly, getting it out of the Program files etc path. That has not seemed to effect it except to change the path in some of the add-ons. I am going to run a route in MSTS not using OR and see if the F8 key works there. Trying to eliminate some things.
    No problem Dave, exercising one's patience is sometimes the best way to keep that "muscle" functioning!

Regarding the F8 key in OR --- ya know, I've never used it...I'll try it and see what happens...could be for another switch view when in multiplayer mode? You can examine all the key assignments pressing Options Button then the Keyboard tab from the opening OR panel.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry,

I do not use multiplayer mode.

Yes I previously checked the key strokes in the options section. What has me stumped for the moment that F8 is not working on any of my routes. I am not certain if that is caused by my move to the basic C drive or not as that is the only key function not working is F8. I like to have it so I can better see the switches as I change them or simply the default activity switches. Guess I am just used to having it as the Track monitor also shows switch settings.

I don't know where in the sim the F8 view is located. In the original MSTS package there is a drivers aids entry in the GUI. Changing that changed the F7 and F8 displays. I am told that OR does not use the drivers aids for those displays.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Default OR log zipped

OK zipped the log file so can attach. Refers to the Emer braking as discussed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave Kolbenschlag

I have been working to try and get this braking problem in my activity solved. It was mentioned here to try starting in manual. That does not work. Still dumps the air. After the engines go into emer. I have tried to release the brakes and proceed. Tried bleeding down the train brake and the engine brake. Tried Shift/ tried backspace and different configurations of these. Can't get past the "End of Authority" and afterwards can not release brakes.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

OK zipped the log file so can attach. Refers to the Emer braking as discussed.
    Nope nothing in the log about emergency brakes, you do have some missing wagons, also a missing shape file...best to fix those.
    F8 is the switch view window...which I used to use, but stopped using for more realism...I just forgot about it ( you can understand that ).

Regarding emergency brakes, there are several instances where OR will apply emergency brakes ( realism again ), when you pass a red signal for example and in your case....the MSTS "short player path"...going past the end of the path while in auto mode.

In the Track Monitor F4, the train symbol will be white when you are "on path" in either manual ( Ctrl+M ) or auto mode ( Ctrl+A ), it will be red while in manual mode and off path or when you go off path when in auto mode.

Section 8.6.8 Emergency Brake Application Key
    The Backspace key is used, as in MSTS, to apply the train brakes in an emergency situation without requiring
    operation of the train brake lever. However in OR moving the brake lever back to the Release
    position will only cause OR to report Apply Emergency Brake Push Button. The Backspace key must be
    pressed again to cancel the emergency application, then normal operation can be resumed. When the
    button is active, the F5 HUD will display Emergency Brake Push Button in the Train Brake line.
    From the manual:
    Auto Signal or Auto mode is the default mode when running activities or timetables.
    There are however two main cases where you must switch to Manual mode by pressing <Ctrl+M>:
    • when the activity requires shunting without a predefined path
    • when the train runs out of control due to SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger or passing a red signal) or
    exits the predened path by error. If such situations occur you will usually get an emergency stop.
    To reset the emergency stop and then move to correct the error, you must rst switch to Manual
    mode.
    To switch to manual mode press <Ctrl+M>. In timetable mode you must rst stop the train to pass to
    manual mode.
    You can return to auto mode by pressing <Ctrl+M> again when the head of the train is again on the correct
    path, with no SPAD situation. In standard situations you can also return to auto mode while the train is
    moving. Details are described in the paragraph of the link shown above.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 10-15-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry

>If I move forward about 30' the brakes dump. If I move rearward to where the yard leads expand into more leads the brakes dump. Track monitor in both reverse and forward show the red line "End of authority"

As has been said before, you are going off the path.
    You need to be in manual mode <ctrl> M
    This is shown in the track monitor F4
    Cheers
    Derek