Thread: Ghost cars

Default Ghost cars

Hi folks,
    In running North Coast RR. running an activity built with Steve's Davis's Activity generator the AI trains have invisible wagons throughout the consists. I remember this also from years ago occurring at times. I remember a fix for that, maybe boundary box's although all my rolling stock is right up to date as I have edited the wag files many times over the years.

I used to remember how to do all this stuff but age and facts of life keeping me away from this for a few years have zeroed out my memory. I do not even recall how to display and set the BB's anymore. I have a lot of notes somewhere, once I remember where those are I can get back to knowing what I am doing. Not an excuse and sorry to get long winded here.

What causes these empty slots in a consist that still move along in the train but are invisible?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    Hi folks,
    In running North Coast RR. running an activity built with Steve's Davis's Activity generator the AI trains have invisible wagons throughout the consists. I remember this also from years ago occurring at times. I remember a fix for that, maybe boundary box's although all my rolling stock is right up to date as I have edited the wag files many times over the years.

I used to remember how to do all this stuff but age and facts of life keeping me away from this for a few years have zeroed out my memory. I do not even recall how to display and set the BB's anymore. I have a lot of notes somewhere, once I remember where those are I can get back to knowing what I am doing. Not an excuse and sorry to get long winded here.

What causes these empty slots in a consist that still move along in the train but are invisible?

Thanks,
    Dave

Has nothing to do with Bounding boxes. OR cannot find the shape file. Either the file is missing or there is a typo in the ENG/WAG file in the Shape line. OR log will have a line that says "Cannot find (filename of missing eng/wag).s". If the item is an ENG, MSTS reacts differently it produces three error messages: "Failed to OpenShape _____", "Failed to load _____", and "Can't add _____ to world" Then MSTS Crashes to desktop.
    Test with ConBuilder and you will get a Shape Not Found error.

This thread belongs in the OR Discussion forum. The thread has noting to do with a specific route MSTS or OR, and the "Ghost" effect only occurs when using OR.
    Last edited by crstagg; 10-15-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    Charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks.

Since I only see it in this route I better edit the wagons that were newly downloaded with the route pack. That is why I posted it in the route forum.

BTW I can not get OR installed in this new computer. I sent a couple notes to the forum a week or so ago but I guess you were away.

I have an old Lic. file but not the lic.txt file. So the install says it found the license so won't send me a new one. (Made a CB folder in the C:\ drive) CB will not load. op up states "This is not the correct system".

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Dave,
    There really is no "installation" of ORTS.
    All you do is create a folder, outside of the programs folders, and unzip and copy OR to that folder.
    I have mine on my G:/drive. I have several, G:/ORMG95, G:/ORMG105 are just a couple. See how I gave them a meaningful name to distinguish them from each other? You can have as many as you want.

Thanks,

I probably worded that wrong. I just wanted to refer that I run the sim in OR, have for for quite a while.

I have, for many years, had the Train sim folder in the E:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator. The sim was actually on the E drive. (I have 3 hard drives installed in my computer) That is a long path to use for various add-ons and other reasons so now with a 3 TB C drive I just moved the whole works from the E drive to the C drive.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

>What causes these empty slots in a consist that still move along in the train but are invisible?

The log file would give you an idea of what is wrong.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    Hi Charles,

Thanks.

Since I only see it in this route I better edit the wagons that were newly downloaded with the route pack. That is why I posted it in the route forum.

BTW I can not get OR installed in this new computer. I sent a couple notes to the forum a week or so ago but I guess you were away.

I have an old Lic. file but not the lic.txt file. So the install says it found the license so won't send me a new one. (Made a CB folder in the C:\ drive) CB will not load. op up states "This is not the correct system".

Dave

??????????????????????????????????????????
    I think you meant to say "BTW I can not get ConBuilder installed in this new computer." when you said "BTW I can not get OR installed in this new computer."

Sounds like you copied your ConBuilder install from old PC to new PC, instead of downloading the current Installer from the ConBuilder forum and running the Installer. The indicator of copying vice installing is that it found an LIC file.

A ConBuilder License (LIC file) is registered to the user's serial number and the PC and cannot be used on another PC. You need to delete everything in the ConBuilder folder on the new PC, download the current full installer form the ConBuilder forum and install it to the PC then when notified that your new License file is ready run GetMyLicense.

" I sent a couple notes to the forum a week or so ago but I guess you were away." ?????????????????
    Your last posts on the ConBuilder forum were in 2020. The latest IM in my forum inbox was in April. If you are referring to emails to [email protected] I am no longer a member of the teaml. Joe is the only one that monitors that address.
    Last edited by crstagg; 10-15-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    Charles

Thanks Charles.

I'll get the CB download as you state. (And delete the old folder first)

Thanks on the info about Joe and all your help over the years with CB.
    Dave Kolbenschlag