Thread: Open Rails Monogame

Default Open Rails Monogame

After a number of inactive years I recently came across the Monogame version of Open Rails and decided to give it a go as from what I have read it seems to give better performance. I am running W10 Pro.

I have Open Rails Monogame installed on my "C" drive and I also have MS Train Simulator in my Microsoft Games folder.

I have the demo route for OR installed on my "E" drive.

As I recall from the past it is not necessary to have MSTS fully installed only the routes or mini routes.

When I start OR I get the demo route come up but I can't seem to get any of the default MSTS routes to show when I use "Add"

Can someone point me in the right direction (what and where to place files etc.) for getting the MSTS routes to show please?
    I ideally I would like not to have the full MSTS install taking up disk space.

If I get it working are there any FREE routes available for download anywhere?

Once extra question if I may. Is OR still being developed as the main file seems to be a bit dated?

Thanks
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-E R2.0 (LGA1151)
    Intel Core i5 9400F @ 2.90GHz Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
    DELL U2412M ([email protected]) ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (XFX Pine Group) 8192MB

Open Rails is still being developed.

To add routes go to Options, select the Content tab. Use the screen to search for the "home" directory of what you want; By home directory I mean where Train.exe would be if it were a MSTS installation. IOW, it has a \Routes folder. Click ok and move on.

I think the most common setup used in OR is Mini-Routes. These are a brief version of the MSTS installation. It needs only \Global, \Sound, \Routes, and \Trains folders. What goes into each is up to you but to provide an example, I have 12: Canada, and 4 sets for US - East, US -West, US - Midwest, and US - South where each of those has 3 era's append to the folder name (e.g., \US - West 1930-52). This kind of setup lets me construct the contents of the \trains folder to be era specific.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by ivatt View Post
    If I get it working are there any FREE routes available for download anywhere?

Once extra question if I may. Is OR still being developed as the main file seems to be a bit dated?

Thanks
    Free OR Starter Route with equipment and activities >>> https://www.trainsimulations.net/starter --- install as directed, this will install the latest stable version of OR Ver1.3 ( Ver.1.4 is very close to being released.)

Also at the above site https://www.trainsimulations.net/routes there are new routes made for OR ( will not run in MSTS )...Mullan Pass is exceptionally well done. If you decide to purchase one of these new OR routes it is important you install as directed.t

As Dave said all you need for an OR profile ( same as MSTS mini-route ) are these folders: GLOBAL,SOUND,ROUTES, & TRAIN (sub folders Trainset and Consists). You don't need MSTS or MSTS-Bin installed...there is no connection between the two programs. Most OR users do install MSTS ( if they have the disks ) to obtain the default MSTS routes, which older routes need to copy shape files from...I keep those in a separate install where I place routes that need to run a bat file to complete installation, and then move the route to a permanent OR profile.

Monogame OR is constantly being updated and is aligned with main OR development.
    Open Rails Developer Carlos Santucci is frequently debugging and updating MG OR >> http://www.interazioni-educative.it/Downloads/index.php
    Last edited by R. Steele; 10-18-2021 at 05:03 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify if I copy the MSTS GLOBAL,SOUND,ROUTES, & TRAIN (sub folders Trainset and Consists) folders to a location outside the actual MSTS install say MSTS_OR and then point OR to that folder is that all I need to have the correct OR profile and I can then uninstall MSTS if necessary?
    Last edited by ivatt; 10-19-2021 at 10:57 AM.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-E R2.0 (LGA1151)
    Intel Core i5 9400F @ 2.90GHz Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
    DELL U2412M ([email protected]) ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (XFX Pine Group) 8192MB

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify if I copy the MSTS GLOBAL,SOUND,ROUTES, & TRAIN (sub folders Trainset and Consists) folders to a location outside the actual MSTS install say MSTS_OR and then point OR to that folder is that all I need to have the correct OR profile and I can then uninstall MSTS if necessary?
    Hi

this is not a direct reply to your post but I copied my MSTS install to a USB C attached drive and installed
    all new Routes into that MSTS install.

Even Trainsimulations OR routes, (until the more recent ones would not
    allow that) and I get really good results, FPS 20 to 60 depending on the graphics but even at 20 FPS
    there is no stutter or moiré.

I have over 100 Routes installed and had to use Trainstore before but with OR that is not necessary.

OR is the future of Rail Simulation unless you have a mega gaming rig but the other sim has little to
    offer in comparison, IMHO

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Thanks
    The main files won't show updates. Files in the subdirectories are what will be changed with the smaller version updates.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk