Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Open Rails v1.4 is here

One unrelated question to Shawn, re post #23 above--what route is that? Thanks. I'm thinking Mullan Pass, but I'm not sure. Great screenshot.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

As I understand (and operated them) US/Canadian built locos have shaft driven compressors because they use the Westinghouse brake system (whereas we use the superior PBL EP brake) and trains are generally longer than here in UK.On our Class 59 and 66,as an example when coupled to a fresh train with low air in the wagons,(we have no "emergency" reservoirs) the diesel engine would speed up to correct the situation.I have been on a Class 60 with an electric compressor and it struggled to maintain air pressure to the point where I considered failing it.The engine can be manually speeded up as described in an earlier post.I see no point in making the sim/game realistic to the point where you have to sit in front of a computer screen waiting for the air to build up,then do a brake test and repeat the wait !

We have had both styles here in North America, unrelated to braking. Things were shaft driven up through Dash2 and Dash7, when the sales race through fuel efficiency started. Then it was all about removing any parasitic load off the prime mover (which shaft compressors and early design F40PH-era HEP were) and going to electronic fuel injection for its precision combustion/lower emissions characteristics instead of old style governors.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    The initialize brakes is for the impatient or afraid to learn types who want MSTS-like couple/uncouple behavior.

Realists need to watch the Brake Information screen on the "old F5 HUD"

The backslash \ key is to lace hoses only, it does not auto-fill the brakepipe.

Hold ALT and press F5 to bring up "old Hud". Then hold SHIFT and ALT plus press F5 multiple times to go through the various pages in the old Hud until you find the BRAKE INFORMATION page. Watch the compressor stats and brake pipe pressure as the air builds.
    It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to pump air to 15 cars, even on a cold Winters day! That's my problem with this.

As I've said, I deal with the realistic aspect 5-6 days a week, so I get the idea, but it seems a little far fetched with the numerous steps that make little to no sense.

As you can see in the photo, that's what I did, center and notch 5 to pump air, it sat like that for 15 minutes, with no further build past the 67psi.

I only discovered initialize brakes by taking a peak at the F1 guide and just hitting those buttons to see what it did. Quickly made it 90 pounds, fine, I'm on my way.

What wwhall mentions makes complete sense for the air to dump, and is actually rather frustrating that there is no slow option. I work with a conductor that dumps the train often, so it's like working with him in the simulation just as well..

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some new way, because before it didn't seem like that much of an issue before this update.

Didn't realize it was going to turn into a "impatient/unrealistic" crowd for "realistic" crowd slander..

Anyways, yes, this is the Mullan Pass and is one of the add-on activities that you need to set out a cut, lift two cuts, and then grab a set of helpers at Helena Jct.
    I like what Monogame has done, but I am extremely disappointed by the graphics of the shadows casted in Monogame.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Not every user is seeing your screenshot, Shawn, so some are only working from verbal descriptions.

I ran the Talc activity where you build a 65 car train from 3 dead, cold, airless cuts in the yard, in 9 degrees F weather

It took me 8 minutes from connecting hoses to the first cut of 21 cars with zero air to achieving 80+ pounds (enough to move around to the next cut pickup). I also centered the reverser and ran up to notch 4 during the air pumping.

It took me about 45 minutes total to build the entire train and get on the roll towards Helena Jct, with my wheel bearing temperature rising from 12 F to 33 F during the short jaunt.

I admit that I got the pop-ups discussing departure with the dispatcher immediately after coupling to the third cold cut and before I cut in those brakes. Its as if the activity was expecting me to be farther along. But then again activities are built around the code base as it was at the time the activity was built, and that can change.

That's actually interesting not everyone is able to see the screen shot, is the link I posted broken, or something else?

I did the talc activity in the old Open Rails version, the previous stable version, and had similar results as you are mentioning. That's why this with 15 cars or so is kind of frustrating that almost 30 minutes or so and it still sat at 67 pounds.

I have two days off in a row this week, so I will test again when I'm not too tired.
    I've been placed on overnights, which I thought would give me more free time, but all I end up doing is sleeping from the moment I get home, to the moment I have to get up and go to work.... Not a fun cycle.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

I haven't run the activity you mentioned above as of yet, but I have done some experimenting with the R108.1 MG build. With some consists and locomotives (still try to find the common "thread" among them), I have seen something similar to what you have. The brake system will charge fairly normally until the brake line pressure gets to around 70 psi or so, then the recharging really slows down. The OR brake system programming is leagues better than MSTS, but there are still some kinks to be worked out and features to be added to make it really great.