Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Rails v1.4 is here

Yes, it should.

Hasnt been working since, I tried 3 machines, all came up with the same thing.. I had one client tried to restore the activity after the save, it crashes the whole thing, threw him back to the desktop. Somethings off... Then went back to the original version where i left off, all is fine and dandy, no wild wheel slip issues...

Quote Originally Posted by csantucci View Post
    Yes, it should.
    Dave Edwards

I guess I don't understand the new way of building trains on V1.4
    I've done the same steps as I always have, and it seems as if the air just doesn't want to build up further than this!
    So what, now we have a new way of building trains?
    couple up, I hit "" to connect brake hoses, and usually this before, was enough. First cut of cars worked fine, second cut, doesn't make any sense as to why this will not build!!

https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Played around a bit more, apparently "Shift + /" does the trick to initialize brakes. a good bypass obviously, but a little unrealistic. Shrugs. It's a video game to me anyways, not real life, I can do without the ultra realism for a change.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Played around a bit more, apparently "Shift + /" does the trick to initialize brakes. a good bypass obviously, but a little unrealistic. Shrugs. It's a video game to me anyways, not real life, I can do without the ultra realism for a change.
    That was always how I did it on Monogame. I just assumed it was the same on all OR platforms, I guess not?

"Shift + /" brake initialisation has always worked on all OR versions since it was introduced.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

The initialize brakes is for the impatient or afraid to learn types who want MSTS-like couple/uncouple behavior.

Realists need to watch the Brake Information screen on the "old F5 HUD"

The backslash \ key is to lace hoses only, it does not auto-fill the brakepipe.

Hold ALT and press F5 to bring up "old Hud". Then hold SHIFT and ALT plus press F5 multiple times to go through the various pages in the old Hud until you find the BRAKE INFORMATION page. Watch the compressor stats and brake pipe pressure as the air builds.

When I freshly couple to a string of cars with no air and hit the lace hoses key " \ ", it doesn't take long for about 40-45 pounds to build in the brake pipe. Then the long slog begins to continue pumping up to the 78-80 needed for the triple valve to start releasing the brakes.

Using a stop watch, with engine at idle, it takes 15 seconds to add each 1 pound increment to the brake pipe.

If I center the reverser and revvv the prime mover by notching out to 4, every 1 pound of air added to the brakepipe takes only 7.5 seconds.

So the code has been revised to take into account the engine RPM in terms of compressor pumping rate, like in the olden days when compressors were shaft driven.

There has been a lot of posts over the years about this over on Elvas Tower, but a lot of people here aren't members there, so here goes with some observations. First and foremost, one has to understand that MSTS was designed primarily as a game, not a simulator. By contrast, OpenRails' basic design is as a simulator. In the case of MSTS, it behaves much differently than reality in order to simplify and speed up game play. OpenRails takes a much more prototypical approach, albeit with some rough edges that remain to be smoothed out.

Let me illustrate by an example. Charging rates for the air brake system is much faster than prototypical in MSTS--again, in order to speed up game play. Brake system charging rates are generally much slower in OR. In prototypical operation, to fully charge a brake system from 0 pressure on, say, a 100 car train can often take 30 minutes or more. OR adds the "initialization" keystroke to unprototypically skip this long charge time if the player desires. (One yet to be cured deficiency in OR is that the program does not take into account air compressors on MU'ed and DP locomotives collectively supplying air to charge the train's air brake system--hopefully that is addressed soon.) So, some of the worries expressed here about OR brake system charging being somehow "broken" may, in fact, be just the OR braking parameters reflecting realistic operation.

One other note related to switching cars to together and "lacing up" brake hoses that many non-railroaders do not know can affect brake system charging, and OR actually emulates reality here. Again, for example, let's say that you are the conductor of a 40 car train and you have just coupled up to another 25 cars. You connect the brake hoses and rapidly open the angle cocks to allow the newly coupled cars to have their brake systems charged. Here is what often happens--the brake pressure in the entire train line drops sufficiently throughout the train as air rushes into the new coupled cars that it triggers an emergency air application throughout the whole train--now the all of the reservoirs in the train are empty and must be fully recharged. In real world railroading, trainmen will try to avoid this by opening the angle cocks slowly, such that train line pressure does not drop rapidly and deeply enough to trigger an emergency brake application. Right now, there is no "slow open" option in OR in the angle cocks, so coupling hoses will often result in the train going into emergency. As noted, a lot of this behavior can be observed in the OR HUD (Alt+Shift+F5 to scroll to that display).
    Last edited by wwhall; 10-25-2021 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    When I freshly couple to a string of cars with no air and hit the lace hoses key " \ ", it doesn't take long for about 40-45 pounds to build in the brake pipe. Then the long slog begins to continue pumping up to the 78-80 needed for the triple valve to start releasing the brakes.

Using a stop watch, with engine at idle, it takes 15 seconds to add each 1 pound increment to the brake pipe.

If I center the reverser and revvv the prime mover by notching out to 4, every 1 pound of air added to the brakepipe takes only 7.5 seconds.

So the code has been revised to take into account the engine RPM in terms of compressor pumping rate, like in the olden days when compressors were shaft driven.
    Except that some diesel electric air compressors are not shaft driven, but are electric motor driven, so throttling up the prime mover has no effect. My suspicion, not yet confirmed, is that OR only changes the charging rate based on prime mover RPM is the .eng file parameter is set to "(1)" to indicate a mechanically driven compressor. Oh, and MANY .eng files have this parameter incorrectly coded for the particular model of locomotive.