Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing diesel with steam.

Default replacing diesel with steam.

G'day All, I will be looking foe assistance with suitable replacements diesel to steam.
    1 dash9
    2 gp38
    There will be more to come.
    Regards
    Barrie

One method would be to get something with the same tractive effort.
    Cheers
    Derek

G'day all, I am wanting to replace the dash9 and gp38 with steam on the Marias Pass route, are there any suggestions?
    Regards
    Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin1812 View Post
    G'day all, I am wanting to replace the dash9 and gp38 with steam on the Marias Pass route, are there any suggestions?
    Regards
    Barrie
    Hi Barrie,

Your needs for steam would probably be better served by Elvas - as that's where the masters hang out and serve up their content. Look for anything from Tim Muir (Pacific Northwest Focus) or Derek Miller (Entire WP fleet plus some SP, CBQ, SLSF thrown in). If I were you - spend a couple bucks on 3DTrains WP Feather River - it's still one of the finest routes ever made - then start swapping out stock for Derek's steam locomotives. This would give you the most complete steam experience and I have yet to see a version of Marias that smoothed out the insane roller coaster grade changes. Derek's articulated 2-8-8-2 Mallet is a wonder to behold in action - a true monster - and he even made a second 2-6-6-2 if you need even more horsepower. While your are over at 3DTrains - pick up their FREE replacement smoke texture - as it's a must in my book.

Just my two cents - please take it for what it's worth.

Here's the steam texture in action on some of my models (The Mike is still a work in progress- although much farther along than shown).

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-21-2021 at 07:16 AM.

Scott
    What sound files are those in your video?

Hi Benny,

Derek's Mallet - he graciously gave me carte blanche to use them on my models. It's all his work.

Regards,
    Scott

Being that Marias Pass was built by Great Northern, GN steam power would be most at home there. I don't really know much about their steam fleet, but unless you've got a version of the route that's graded correctly (the real ruling grade is 1.8%, but Kuju topped out at 5%+), you won't get much over that pass with any type of power

G'day Scott, I actually had that route tucked away and forgotten, it has now been dusted off and installed and it runs very nicely too. The only thing I had to do was apply the "move all trees and foliage off of the right of way" fix and all seems good now, I was also surprised that a route so nicely scenarised would also be frame rate friendly. Now to start steaming it up.
    Regards and thanks.
    Barrie

G'day Scott, I no longer have an account at Elvas I put an application in but in the meantime there are some nice locos in the library, I searched using Derek's name and a group of nice steamers came up, there are 18 in total and one would suit passenger service nicely "Southern Pacific GS-2 4-8-4 - Daylight streamliners", here is a list:-

Southern Pacific GS-6 4-8-4
    Southern Pacific GS-2 4-8-4 - Daylight streamliners
    Western Pacific GS-64 4-8-4
    Frisco 1500 4-8-2
    L&HR Heavy Mountain
    Western Pacific 0-6-0 Switchers
    Western Pacific 2-6-6-2 "Little Mallies"
    Western Pacific Articulated 2-8-8-2
    Western Pacific Mikado
    D&RGW Dual Gauge C-48 Consolidation
    D&RGW T-29 4-6-0
    D&RGW C-48 2-8-0
    Western Pacific Alco TP-29 4-6-0
    Western Pacific Consolidation

Do you think any of these will fit the bill? Personally if they appear OK that is generally good enough for me.
    Regards
    Barrie

Hi Barrie,

I don't see your application over at Elvas?
    Cheers
    Derek