Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's Goku?

Default Where's Goku?

Has anyone been in touch with Goku? Curious to know if he's OK and/or just taking a break.

His last posting activity on his own forum and here was back in June.

He's been less active for a year now. Perhaps life is catching up? I do recall he was in college when he was working on TSRE.

His source code is available I believe. Perhaps someone knowledgeable can take up the mantle.

Hi Folks,

I hope Goku is well.

Yeah - I believe this is his graciously contributed source code - all we need now is someone who is capable of utilizing it.

Licensed under GNU General Public License 3.0 or later.

https://github.com/GokuMK/TSRE5

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Folks,

Hah - just a point of interest when perusing his code from a layman's perspective - he has a routine labeled that it processed GEOTIFF files - [sigh] if only - a far better source of height data than the HGT files that TSRE requires now. From my experience - their is no way to get HGT data at higher resolutions than 1/3ArcSec and there is no way to convert 1/9ArcSec data to HGT file format. I've been playing with 1/9ArcSec data in DEMEX and it seems unable to merge more than two GEOTIFF's before getting the dreaded "Out of Memory" error. It would make any terrain mesh for an entire route built at 1/9ArcSec a tedious endeavor indeed.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,
    Don't stop now!

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Scott,
    Don't stop now!
    Hi Randy,

LOL - While I can write the "Hello World" program in C - that's about the extent of my expertise. I'll stick to modeling steam locomotives.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

.I've been playing with 1/9ArcSec data in DEMEX and it seems unable to merge more than two GEOTIFF's before getting the dreaded "Out of Memory" error. .
    Regards,
    Scott
    Go get the freeware GIS program named QGIS. You can slice off part of one downloaded DEM file and merge it with another making it feasible to use DEMEX to load somewhat larger areas. I have done that a lot just to get the extra slice needed when the DEM file and MSTS Grid are not well aligned. It's a bit more work but you can do it.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Goku's health has long been sub par (I don't know any specifics) and so perhaps he's dealing with that.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    Go get the freeware GIS program named QGIS. You can slice off part of one downloaded DEM file and merge it with another making it feasible to use DEMEX to load somewhat larger areas. I have done that a lot just to get the extra slice needed when the DEM file and MSTS Grid are not well aligned. It's a bit more work but you can do it.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip - I’ve played around with QGIS and I couldn’t figure out how to get much out of it - I think I used VTX Builder before with some success - I haven’t played with DEM in a while. Maybe I’ll give QGIS another go when I get some time. Out of the two routes I routinely play with - only the very southern tip of one has 1/9ArcSec data available.

Just the other day I was looking around on the USGS site and noticed the entire Sandpatch has full 1/9ArcSec data available - from Cumberland to Connellsville - perhaps we’ll see it someday.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've gone thru his code... the problem for me being able to try to recompile it has been the widgets used for the GUI - I haven't been able to completely figure that out, and honestly, that's the meat in the sandwich... no GUI, no editor.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk