Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Haven Railroad: rail service in Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket islands

Salut Denis!

I am positive I actually have that data someplace at home, I will try and discover it this weekend. The course is a component fiction, it become in general unmarried tune and I don’t agree with there has been tons of any port interest except Woods Hole…

But still, I revel in strolling it!

Sent from my iPhone the usage of Tapatalk Pro

freight cars/traffic used on Cape Cod around 1956.

In the thirties only half of freight was switched at industry sidings. LCL represented about 20% of the freight and 30% came from team tracks. By the fifties LCL traffic had dropped off.
    1. CRANBERRIES

there was still a lot of cranberry traffic in 1956, though it was highly seasonal. It was loaded in boxcars (often NH) and reefers at team tracks pretty much everywhere. When ZP-1/PZ-2 were running they'd pick cranberry loads right off the team tracks. Processed cranberries were loaded at Ocean Spray in Onset. Some probably moved in REA reefers and passenger trains perhaps from Providence to New York, though I don't have firm info. Closing hours were provided for ZP-1 to pick up directly at Buzzards Bay, Onset, Wareham, Tremont and Middleboro - probably the points of highest cranberry loading.

2. TEAM TRACKS
    All kinds of commodities were transloaded at team tracks. Lots of lumber. Often bagged feed in 40' boxcars (especially CP, B&M, NKP, Buffalo Creek). Sometimes coal. Sometimes steel. Sometimes automobiles in 50' auto boxes. Asphalt (in tank cars) and rock salt (sometimes bagged in boxcars). Outbound loads probably mostly cranberries and fish at Provincetown and Hyannis (and perhaps Woods Hole?). Reefers were probably mostly Fruit Growers Express as the New Haven was a member.

1932 carloads:
    Tremont - In: 56 - Out: ? (known to loa
    Wareham - In:346 - Out: ?
    Onset - In: 313 - Out: 134
    Buzzards Bay - In: 84 - Out: 46
    North Falmouth - In: 185 - Out: 0
    West Falmouth - In: 98 - Out: 0
    Falmouth - In: 336 - Out: 15
    Woods Hole - In: 456 - Out:?
    Bourne - In: 51 - Out: 0
    Sagamore - In: 103 - Out: ?
    Sandwich - In: 88 - Out: ?
    Barnstable - In: 110 - Out: 12
    W Barnstable - In: 184 - Out:?
    Hyannis - In: 220 - Out: 340
    Bass River - In: 58 - Out: 0
    South Dennis - In: 131 - Out: ?
    South Harwich - In:17 - Out: ?
    Harwich - In: 163 - Out: 0
    South Chatham - In: 2 - Out: ?
    Brewster - In: 17 - Out: 14
    Orleans - In: 84 - Out - 77
    North Easton - In: 33 - Out: 3
    Wellfleet - In: 167 - Out: ?
    Turo - In: 22 - Out: ?
    Provincetown - In: 358 - Out: 300
    Unfortunately the edge of the page was cut off resulting in the ? outbound listings
    3. LCL ("Less than carload lot") Freight, generally handled in 40' boxcars.

Some cars (shown below) were switched out at freight houses. Other stations were handled by a "waycar" in a local unloading shipments at en-route stations without switching.
    By the fifties, LCL was in decline and was essentially gone by 1960 or so.
    Railroads ran scheduled cars between principal freight terminals. It appears none were ever scheduled to and from Cape Cod, yet a fair amount of LCL ran regardless, it just wasn't scheduled.
    Cars with LCL were sometimes loaded and sent as a carload to LCL sorting terminals (for example Providence or Cedar Hill) at which the freight in the car would be split up and transferred to other cars.

1932 LCL carloads:
    (Remember that railroad traffic in the depression was down by 50%)
    Wareham - In: 368
    Pocasset - In: 31
    Falmouth - In: 181 Out: 2
    Woods Hole - In: 0 [sic] Out: ? (page cut off)
    Sagamore - In:0 Out: 20
    West Barstable - In: 442 Out: 15
    Hyannis - In: 514 Out: 340
    South Dennis - In: 11 Out: 5
    Harwich - In: 190 Out: 30
    Chatham - In: 77 Out: 40
    North Harwich - In: 76
    Orleans - In: 167
    Provincetown - 0 [sic] Out: 176

4. OTIS AFB/ CAMP EDWARDS

Troop trains ran. The heating plant received coal. Inbound supplies included food and probably all manner of stuff (I recall two ATSF boxcars of mattresses). Large quantities of jet fuel arrived from Fall River in black military tank cars.

5. SAND

Shipped outbound in NH gondolas, NH hoppers and (for foundry sand) 2 bay covered hoppers (probably NH).
    Lots of sand shipped from Provincetown, North Easton, Buzzards Bay, East Wareham, Marion Pit (Whitehead Bros). Probably elsewhere too (Sandwich?)

6. LOST INDUSTRY

Lots of industry expired in the depression. For example Keith Car in Sagamore, the significant sized Tremont Nail blast furnaces at Tremont and other smaller plants in the Wareham area.

7. FOOD

Ocean Spray in Onset was a significant shipper. A fish plant was in Sandwich with a rail siding. Bagged feed was received in Wareham, Falmouth, West Barnstable, Hyannis, Bass River (a few cars a week) and probably elsewhere at the team tracks. Hyannis had a small grocery warehouse.

8. FUEL

Home and industry was powered by coal until the depression. Coal dealers were located in Falmouth, Barnstable, Hyannis and elsewhere using the team tracks (use 2 bay hoppers from anthracite roads: RDG, LNE, DLW, ERIE. Heating oil arrived (from Boston, Fall River or Providence) at Wareham, Falmouth, Hyannis, Orleans. Propane dealers were at Sagamore and Hyannis. (use my 10k propane car set in library)

9. INDUSTRY SIDING CARLOADS, 1932

Tremont - In: 678 (probably mostly Tremont Nail coal?)
    Wareham - In: 238 (coal, oil, feed)
    Buzzards Bay - In: 169 - (probably lumber)
    West Falmouth - In: 98
    Falmouth - In: 422 (lumber, bagged feed, coal, oil)
    Sandwich - In: 59
    West Barnstable - In: 221 (lumber, coal, feed)
    Hyannis - In: 1,664 (food, oil, lumber, coal)
    South Dennis - In: 34 (lumber)
    South Harwich - In: 14
    Harwich - In: 109 (lumber)
    Chatham - In: 192 - Out: 0
    Orleans - In: 271 (lumber, coal, oil)
    Brewster - In: 35 - Out: 0
    North Turo - In: 72
    Provincetown - In: 626
    Unfortunately the outbound carloadings were cut off. It probably represented several thousand carloads, perhaps 4,000

NH FREIGHT SCHEDULES
    (1956)
    BX-18 called for 8am in Taunton daily except Sunday
    Operates one way to Hyannis
    Does station work (LCL at freight houses) and switching at all stations enroute.
    Makes side trip to Camp Edwards/Otis AFB, Woods Hole & return
    BX-20 called for 8pm in Hyannis daily except Sunday
    operates one way to Taunton
    Does station work (LCL at freight houses) and switching at all stations enroute.
    Makes side trip to Camp Edwards/Otis AFB, Woods Hole & return
    BX-21 called for 6:30am in Hyannis daily except Sunday
    M/W/F Provincetown & return
    Tu/Th/Sa Buzzards Bay, OtisAFB, Woods Hole & return
    These trains generally operated with RS-3's. Probably two for the BX-18/BX-20 train.
    In 1957 the local schedules were changed and went through a few variations but by 1959 settled down to the following:
    BX-18 called for 3am in Taunton daily except Sunday
    operates round trip to Camp Edwards/Otis AFB, Woods Hole & return doing station work en-route
    Drops cars at Buzzards Bay for lower cape (Buzzards Bay - Hyannis - Provincetown)
    When jet fuel was running heavy in the Vietnam war, this train made two round trips from Buzzards Bay to Otis AFB
    BX-20 called for 6:30 am in Hyannis daily except Sunday
    Tue-Fri operated round trip to Provincetown until line cut back to North Easton
    M/W/Th/Sa Operated round trip to Buzzards Bay and as required on to Middleboro, Taunton, Woods Hole, Marion Pit
    This pattern lasted until Penn Central came in and ruined everything.
    The 1956 schedule seems to be a McGuinnis innovation. Before then there was a daytime through train ZP-1 and PZ-2 ("the zipper") between Providence and Hyannis. In it's last years it ran only during cranberry season.
    A long distance local ran one way three days a week in each direction between Boston and Woods Hole, probably heavy with LCL freight. Before the depression this was daily
    Another long distance local one ran between Boston and Hyannis each way (again, probably with a lot of LCL for freight houses). It was cut back in the depression, returned in WWII and lasted into the first years of the 1950's, truncated at Buzzards Bay.
    BX-20 seems to have held it's pattern from the depression, even right through WWII
    Some variations through the years, of course.

Hello again to all,

Thanks for the additional details provided. There will be a lot of head-scratching with this project. Earlier last week, I have also found some information in the NH historical society about freight operations in the area. Since it is a semi-fictional route, I will try to make it as realistically as possible, while at the same time optimizing the route's switching potential.

In addition to the two BLW/ZT New Haven Packs, I believe the freight only package from the BLW/ZT Conn River route set will be the best package for freight content. It is very extensive, very close to the timeframe and close to the area also.

Denis
    Last edited by dgionet; 11-14-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgionet View Post
    Hello again to all,

Thanks for the additional details provided. There will be a lot of head-scratching with this project. Earlier last week, I have also found some information in the NH historical society about freight operations in the area. Since it is a semi-fictional route, I will try to make it as realistically as possible, while at the same time optimizing the route's switching potential.

In addition to the two BLW/ZT New Haven Packs, I believe the freight only package from the BLW/ZT Conn River route set will be the best package for freight content. It is very extensive, very close to the timeframe and close to the area also.

Denis
    Sounds great, Denis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro