Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Haven Railroad: rail service in Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket islands

Default New Haven Railroad: rail service in Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket islands

Hi to all,

I have been running the Cape Cod route released in 2004 and I have been curious, trying to find out when rail service between Woods Hole and both islands ended. I know it's been a while ago but have no specific timeline. In the route, some of the coastal locations have rail ferries and/or barges in Provincetown, Woods Hole, Hyannis and port service in Wellfleet.

Thanks

Denis

Default New Haven Railroad: rail service in Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket islands

Salut Denis!

I am sure I have that information somewhere at home, I will try to find it this weekend. The route is part fiction, it was mostly single track and I don’t believe there was much of any port activity besides Woods Hole…

But still, I enjoy running it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello Denis!

I was a conductor on Cape Cod in another life.

The line to Woods Hole was cut back to Falmouth in 1968 and then North Falmouth around the turn of the millennium (give or take a decade). New Haven Railroad dropped passenger service on the branch to Boston in 1960 and dropped New York passenger service to Woods Hole in 1964. Cape Cod & Hyannis Railroad revived passenger service to Falmouth in 1982 and ran to 1988 (I worked for CC&H).

In reality there were never any rail ferries or barges from Cape Cod. That is part of the fantasy that Rick mentioned. However good sized auto/truck ferries have run to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket from Woods Hole and Hyannis for many generations. The Woods Hole station was right at the dock. LCL and carload freight was transferred at the dock as well.

There were narrow gauged railroads on Martha's Vineyard (I think) and Nantucket. They didn't make it past the steam era.

The New Haven railroad was double track from Boston to Buzzards Bay until 1940. On the cape beyond that point it was always single track. So that is another point of fantasy in the route.

Despite the fantasy and limited custom objects, I can recognize exactly where I am at all points and it does 'feel' realistic to me. And that is from someone who was 'qualified' on the line and passed tests on physical characteristics.

Christopher

Also from 1986 to 1996 Amtrak operated a summer weekend only service from New York to Hyannis that ran via Attleboro and Taunton to Middleborough where it connected to the line from Boston.

That Cape Cod route although somewhat fictional was fun to run. I even wrote some fictional activities for it such as a "fish train" of reefers that left P-town early in the morning then picked up more reefers in Yarmouth before heading to Boston, pulled by a brace of NH FA-1's. I will have to dig that out some time and try it.

I have a bunch of activities for the route in the file library as well. Just search ZosaTrains

Thanks guys for your feedback.

A nice route to run and am considering an Activity Generator template project. Timeframe is planned to be around 1956, time the McGinnis paint scheme has been introduced earlier, around 1955. Rick's New Haven packs in BLW/ZT will be excellent additions to the project.

Although semi-fictional, there are good switching challenges in the areas where ferries and barges are present, with the other locations along the route. BTW, a nice reproduction of the Buzzards Bay railroad bridge, well done.

The bridge alone sold me on this route!

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    I have a bunch of activities for the route in the file library as well. Just search ZosaTrains

Sorry dear Rick, with Zosa as search in FL I only find 2 files: 1 diesel loco & 1 cab. Where did I go wrong?
    Thanks and regards.
    Mateus

Quote Originally Posted by magmateus View Post
    Sorry dear Rick, with Zosa as search in FL I only find 2 files: 1 diesel loco & 1 cab. Where did I go wrong?
    Thanks and regards.
    Mateus
    I have 227 files in the file library! Search for 'zosatrains' in the text search box.

The file below contains 16 activities for the Bay Colony.

Name: znh16act.zip

MSTS New Haven Activities For Bay Colony. Sixteen previously released activities with improved rolling stock and consists. Requires one payware and ten freeware downloads. By Rick Franzosa - ZosaTrains.

1 payware set required (my NH Diesels from BLW/ZT) http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/NH.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    I have 227 files in the file library! Search for 'zosatrains' in the text search box.

The file below contains 16 activities for the Bay Colony.

Name: znh16act.zip

MSTS New Haven Activities For Bay Colony. Sixteen previously released activities with improved rolling stock and consists. Requires one payware and ten freeware downloads. By Rick Franzosa - ZosaTrains.

1 payware set required (my NH Diesels from BLW/ZT) http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/NH.htm
    Now, all files are found.
    Thanks and regards
    Mateus