Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Rail Accident

I wonder how signalling errors still take place in 2021. Does the UK still use semi-automatic signalling? Please don't tell me it does.

Edit: I'm only asking this because a few others said a signalling error was a probable cause. I have no idea about what actually led to the accident
    Last edited by IndianRailways1601; 11-02-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    Swadesh
    Railfan from Bengaluru, KA, India
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVC...KA-9nsmib27ndg
    Happy simming!

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Manual,automatic and semi automatic.I understand that the Salisbury panel was "getting on a bit".As I said the only non fail safe parts of the railway are the humans.All signalling should be fail safe.

Thanks for that Mike, starts to make a bit more sense.
    Vern.

You are very welcome Vern.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Do these lines have any advanced train protection or is it just signals + AWS ?

You would think that with double yellow followed by yellow then red all with AWS warning would be enough for the driver to get their train slowed down, even with leaves on the line. But then I am not a driver and not familiar with this trackage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-59143021

Perhaps now they will not allow the damn brazilian rainforest to grow next to the track bed.

Even with the old modernisation dmu's this problem never occured. Because the cuttings and embankments were kept cut back and tidy.

They were just as light weight as modern stock and the braking systems were less efficient.

Now you have leaves and tree sap coating the rails. No wonder sliding occurs.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Without getting into what might or might not have happened, it was always drummed into me at pre autumn briefings, once a train gets wheel lock and slides you are in a very serious situation.
    The old DMU's were tread braked which cleaned the wheels, whereas most Sprinters after the 156's were disc braked. Some of the 158's were retro fitted with auxiliary tread brakes, aka scrubber blocks, on a couple of wheelsets but that was more to do with keeping several sets of wheels clean enough so the set didn't disappear off track circuits. Black rails and black wheels is not a good combination.
    Vern.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I cannot understand why they still do not have some clasp brakes on modern units.Yes,extra cost,but wheel turning is expensive and is needed during the leaf fall season because of flats caused by wheelslide and the damage done by them,maybe even bad enough to activate a "WILD".

Tread brakes never stopped units sliding once they were locked up.

Good exercise as an apprentice though, changing 48 brake blocks on a 3 car unit.

A favourite job for the fitters to give to their underlings

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd