Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Rail Accident

Default UK Rail Accident

Yma O Hyd

Not good, but are we now lumbered with a new medical condition...."life-changing injuries"?
    (That falls into the same category as "male person").
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

That phrase usually means to me, Bruce.

That the person, will not be able to lead a full and normal life in the future.

What do you think buddy ?

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ....what do you think buddy ?

Mike.
    You're most likely spot-on, but why not just use the conventional terminology that the police have always used: "serious injuries"?
    Is it up to the coppers to determine (and announce) the seriousness of an injury?

As I said....the same category of "police-speak" as "male person".
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

As usual,confused reports and speculation about the cause.The pictures tell me the SWT train ran into the rear of the GWR service.The speed limits are different (50 for the SWT and 20 for the GWR) owing to different curvature on the approach to the tunnel.I have my own view as to what happened on the basis that no "striking object" or derailing for the GWR service until it was derailed in the collision.You have to ask "What causes the dreaded "2 in a section"?" No answers here please.

As always let the RAIB etc. do their work.

With regard to life changing injuries… sadly it usually means irreparable damage to or loss of a limb or other vital organ.
    Vern.

Difficult to see how one rear ended the other as they are side by side in the tunnel entrance on separate lines.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    You're most likely spot-on, but why not just use the conventional terminology that the police have always used: "serious injuries"?
    Is it up to the coppers to determine (and announce) the seriousness of an injury?

As I said....the same category of "police-speak" as "male person".
    Modern society Bruce. everything has to be given some convoluted description.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

From looking at this area on Google Maps, I see a double track junction East of the tunnel which is where I presume the crash happened. Were the 2 trains arriving at the junction from different directions, one from the Northeast and one from the South? In modern signaling it should be impossible to route both trains into the tunnel at the same time.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

The first train was still on the junction and at an angle to the train which collided with it which was deflected to the right.You can see the kink in the outer rail of the right hand double track where (presumably the wheel(s)) of the second train struck it.You can also see that the route was still set for the first train.
    I am not speculating about the cause,but there are only 2 reasons to get 2 in a section,signalling error or driver error or (highly unlikely) complete brake failure.Everything on the railway is fail safe apart from the humans.