Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Cornwall…

Default West Cornwall…

Well for once it looks like Dovetail have listened to the criticism about the awful sound and physics on the Rivet Class 150.
    So now we are getting a classic BR Blue layer on the route, so long as you own the relevant DLC of course…

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/thr...vements.48118/

Might just be worth a punt though maybe not Day One and it still doesn’t let Rivet off the hook for the abomination that looks to be the 150 and not having an Inter City livery Valenta engine HST on a route originally set in the early to mid 90s.
    Vern.

Pass, without even a sideways glance.

More half realised rubbish.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Probably not Day 1 for me at least. I will be getting out the popcorn tomorrow evening and watching the show over at Dovetail forum.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ....I will be getting out the popcorn tomorrow evening ...
    Oooh! Not a good idea, Vern. Bad for the cholesterol level.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Oooh! Not a good idea, Vern. Bad for the cholesterol level.
    I should have said the virtual popcorn, as in fact I can't stomach the real stuff. Even the smell of it makes me want to hurl!
    Then I am a bit odd with food, Indian curry or anything hot and spicy I can't go near it. Home made spaghetti Bolognese with the mild Dolmio sauce is about as much as my taste buds and stomach can take!
    Vern.

Initial verdict - don’t bother. Amateurish route building in fact an insult to the amateur freeware builders. MSTS freeware route in Open Rails is 10x better.
    Vern.

Final verdict, yes rubbish. Refunded.
    IMHO the MSTS/OR freeware Cornish route is much better.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Final verdict, yes rubbish. Refunded.
    IMHO the MSTS/OR freeware Cornish route is much better.
    Almost all DTG routes lack a whole lot of something. When I buy a DTG route, I go in knowing full well it's going to be a reclamation project using the RE to adjust it to my liking. Almost always all the track goes. I stick with Scalerail when I can. Great if one is reworking/building a ATSF/SP route along with using the BNSF/UP track from 3DTrains Tehachapi Loop Route. I redid the track on the DTG Raton route with ATSF Scalerail and what a visual difference compared to the crap DTG track. My friend got the DTG version of Tehachapi Loop and said it was better than what both of us first thought. So I bite the bullet and bought it as well. Again, the track is going using the Scalerail for the ATSF and SP trackage. And it's almost a guarantee somewhere on a DTG route there will be track, roads, and scenery floating in midair that needs to be addressed.

In the case of TSW you don’t even have that option as the route is locked down and there’s no editor.
    See my various posts on the Dovetail forum for everything I found lacking, but essentially Cornwall looks like a forest, there are weird tree stumps at intervals all along the lineside. Odd gradient changes including halfway through station platforms. Lineside fencing missing in large part and where it has been placed, looks odd and misshapen. Occupation crossings with no gates. Signalling is suspect, the signal protecting entry to the single line at Ponsanane on the Down is beyond the points on the single line itself, not back on the Down Main. The 150 continues to be a joke as regards physics and sound.

The route and 150 were built by Rivet Games but DTG are complicit in that they allowed this to pass play testing and QA. I have no faith that either party are interested in fixing the many errors, it’s yet another fire and forget cash grab.
    Vern.

This clip that someone posted at the DTG forum pretty much sums up the sloppy and shoddy state of the route. There are no "open" crossings on the main line in Cornwall, no lineside fencing or the additional protection you get at a road crossing. I wouldn't put a freeware route out in that state.

https://youtu.be/UGHi_wjesQk
    Vern.