Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text editor

Default Text editor

I would like to use WordPad to edit my WAG/ENG and other files in MSTS. Win 7 worked great and you could select WordPad as the editor.

Win 10 does not seem to allow a direct path to open when I try working/editing eng/wag files.

I have looked at UltraEdit but for the cost of an annual subscription...forget it. When there is a free editor right on the computer (WordPad) I do not see paying for something I only use on occasion if I don't have to. A less expensive something must be available.

Any ideas? TSR5 seems to have a long learning curve. I can learn it if I must but perhaps there is a faster way?

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Hi Dave,
    NotePad is included in Win 10 and is perfectly good for editing MSTS files. However, I've used ConText for several years - it has a very useful (usually) facility for matching brackets. It's free and available from : https://www.contexteditor.org/index.php

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Folks,

Notepad++ because it checks brackets and you can define your own language syntax highlighter. Here - it is set for YELLOW new ORTS variables and GREEN for old MSTS variables. It also converts to Unicode. And it's free.

Capture.JPG

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,
    That's interesting! Is there a plug-in to show the different colours for ORTS/MSTS, or does the user need to create it themselves?
    By the way, I don't like the black/dark grey background - can that be modified?

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks Scott. Yes I know NotePad is in Win 12. What I want to do is this: I just reinstalled ConBuilder which requires a path to an editor.

Previously, in win7 there was a direct link to NotePad. In installing CB now I do not see a choice for NotePad. That is I need to enter the path to WP. WordPad is part of Office and I can not find its direct path.

However I downloaded ConText Editor which does the job
    Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Notepad and Notepad++ are two very different programs. I used to use ConTEXT, but have fully converted to Notepad++

I basically only use it it to edit files in MSTS so ConText is fiine for my needs.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Default Text editor

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Scott,
    That's interesting! Is there a plug-in to show the different colours for ORTS/MSTS, or does the user need to create it themselves?
    By the way, I don't like the black/dark grey background - can that be modified?

Cheers,
    Ged
    Hi Ged,

Yeah - the language I defined and as ORTS is constantly evolving - it’s probably not up to date. Also - as most are aware - I’m a Steam guy - so I don’t have much on the diesel or electric variables.

Everything is modifiable - I picked all the colors in the shot I posted.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steam forever is my motto!

Not much steam here in Florida. Nothing big anyway. When I lived in South N.J. I worked on the first rebuild of Ross Roland's 614 in Hagerstown. Ran some on the Wilmington and Western in Maryland and also the NH&I in New Hope, PA Born and raised in Altoona,PA. Dad ran on the PRR for 30 years.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    Thanks Scott. Yes I know NotePad is in Win 12. What I want to do is this: I just reinstalled ConBuilder which requires a path to an editor.

Previously, in win7 there was a direct link to NotePad. In installing CB now I do not see a choice for NotePad. That is I need to enter the path to WP. WordPad is part of Office and I can not find its direct path.

However I downloaded ConText Editor which does the job
    Dave

Win 10 path to Notepad is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
    Charles