Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F keys

Default F keys

I had posted a previous version of this subject. There has been no action on my post for some days. I have done some testing and research but not been able to solve the problem. So here goes again.

In ORTS the F6 and F8 keys do not work. In MSTS with bin they function fine. Thus I can only believe the problem is in ORTS. In order to be certain it was not the OR installation. I deleted OR from my computer. I then downloaded it again from the OR website. I did that to see if it would fix the problem. It did not.

All FKeys function in OR as they should with the exception of F8 and F6. I have the manual and have done the Fkeys and the shift Fkeys as the manual states. F6 and F8 are dead, nothing except F6+shift does put up a sentence that says 08:30:28 Platform and station labels hidden. F6 alone does nothing.

This is all in OR. AS STATED: THE KEYS WORK FINE IN MSTS.

I have thought of posting it as a possible bug but it seems it is only myself that has the problem.

F8 is not a problem for me. F6 is very necessary as I work yards a lot and in large yards I need the track ID's and the names of buildings,industries etc.

I am stumped with this problem. If it is a computer problem then I would doubt it would work in MSTS.

OR is located on C:\

Train Simulator is located on C:\

Plain original MSTS is located on C:\ but with a different Folder name to prevent confusion as it is the original copy plus bin and nothing else.

My confusion comes also because I was away from ORTS for about a year. At that time all the F keys were functioning.

Sorry for the long post but I have run out of ideas and some other folks ideas also.

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

For those that do not have/use MSTS here is a capture of a portion of the Keyboard Shortcuts document that came with MSTS
    DV.JPG

And here is a capture of the ORTS > Options > Keyboard Tab
    ORKB.JPG

I will discuss the F8 key first:
    Note that the MSTS document for the F8 key says "Switching driving aid On/Off" and the ORTS Tab says "Switch Window". Both are referring to this window: SW.JPG

Dave says:
    Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    In ORTS the F6 and F8 keys do not work. ................
    Dave
    ????????Works fine for me. I am using OR V1.4 (w/O Testing updates). See:
    F8.JPG

Dave, have you moved the Switch Window to the edge of the screen/Window then resized? That could "hide" the Switch window. Try resizing the screen. Otherwise you need to Open ORTS at a point where there is a switch ahead of the engine, Press your F8 key and when the Switch window does not appear, Quit ORTS, Zip up the Log file and upload it to this thread.

Will discuss the F6 Key in a later post.
    Charles

Default F8

Thanks Charles.
    Log attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Now to discuss the F6 key. Which by the way works for me as shown on the MSTS Keyboard doc and as described in the ORTS manual at section 7.4.5.

The MSTS Keyboard entry for F6 is "Station/Siding names On/Off". This is what I get with MSTS (Bin) and the F6 key pressed.
    MF6.JPGPressing the F6 again and both the siding and station (platform) names disappear.

The ORTS Keyboard Tab entry shows "Station Labels = F6 (+Shift)".
    NOTE
    : That the entry is "F6 (+Shift) NOT Shift + F6. (Apparently that means F6 is the main key and there are additional features using shift and F6.)

Reading Section 7.4.5 in the OR Manual
    7.4.5 F6 Siding and Platform Names
    Hit the <F6> key to reveal labels naming the siding and platforms. Hit it again to hide them.
    Items more distant will show more faded and platforms disappear altogether if more than 1km away from
    the user; sidings disappear if more than 0.5km away.
    Use <Shift+F6> to cycle through platforms only (in yellow), sidings only (in orange), and both together.
    If the user is in Activity Mode or Timetable Mode, then a 4th step is added to the cycle and this step
    removes any labels not relevant to the activity or timetable.
    I found that it works exactly as described in the Manual. F6 turns on the Siding and Platform (Station) labels. F6 again turns them Off.
    F6.JPG

With them turned on Shift+F6 shows Platform (Station) names only.
    F6S.JPG
    And a second Shift+F6 Shows just the Siding labels.
    F6S2.JPG
    Pressing Shift+F6 again returns to both labels displayed.
    And F6 turns them off.
    JUST as described in the Manual.

AND each time this is done the scrolling description in the lower left of the ORTS window describes what has taken place.

Dave, Does the scrolling description show as you press F6 and Shift+F6?

The MAJOR difference in this feature is that the ORTS colors are more distinguishable and there is a difference in the Siding and the Platform (Station) labels.
    Charles

Thanks Charles.
    Log attached

With 14 entries like this one
    Information: Cannot locate TCSection for platform 1396
    it is no wonder why you do not see any platform names.

I don't know if OR errors on siding names also.

Don't you have the WP3 route? Run it with starting point of Orville Depot.
    Path file is 3DT_WP3_CZ Eastbound.pat
    Use a short consist so that depot is in front of the cab.
    Change view to #3 and press F6.

I assume you had no F8 window. As I asked before have you moved the window and changed the display?

If one closes ORTS and opens it again, it opens with the menu options/selections (as in Install, Route, Player, Consist, etc.) the same as last entry. And when the sim is started the Driving Aid windows reopen at the same location where last used. So this info/data has to be saved some where. I do not find a "Settings" file with today's date in the OR folder(s) so I assume that this info/data is saved in the registry. In that case you may need to uninstall ORTS, delete any/all ORTS registry entries, reboot the pc and then reinstall ORTS.
    Charles

Charles, On the F8 Key, yes I tried it and it is simply not there at all.

There is scrolling with Shift+F6 which states platform and siding labels are hidden. With plain F6 There is nothing. I do not have the activity you speak of in WP3.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

As stated F8 is not anywhere to be found, not off screen, nowhere. I assume by the route you mean Willamette Pass? I have the route but few acts on it. I do not have one for start at Orville. I can however create one and will do so tomorrow.

For now I started an act on the Pokey starting at Auville with a lot of consists in the yard for pick up. Hitting F7 the stock is all labeled as it should be. Hitting F6 I should get the yard track numbers but get nothing. Moving forward I should also have labels on the next small yard ,platforms and industries. Pressing shift F6 just gives me the script "Platform and siding labels hidden".

I did delete ORTS using control panel (programs and features) I have never touched the registry and do not really want to try.

The new install of OR responds exactly the same as the deleted one.

In doing some more troubleshooting I dug my old Win7 system out and hooked it up. OR works fine on that old Win 7 unit. F8 functions as it should, F6 and shift F6 work fine. The same act on the Pokey gives me the yard track numbers and station and building labels.

As a last resort I also replaced the Keyboard on the Win 10 computer. Did not change anything.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

As stated F8 is not anywhere to be found, not off screen, nowhere. I assume by the route you mean Willamette Pass? I have the route but few acts on it. I do not have one for start at Orville. I can however create one and will do so tomorrow.

For now I started an act on the Pokey starting at Auville with a lot of consists in the yard for pick up. Hitting F7 the stock is all labeled as it should be. Hitting F6 I should get the yard track numbers but get nothing. Moving forward I should also have labels on the next small yard ,platforms and industries. Pressing shift F6 just gives me the script "Platform and siding labels hidden".

I did delete ORTS using control panel (programs and features) I have never touched the registry and do not really want to try.

The new install of OR responds exactly the same as the deleted one.

In doing some more troubleshooting I dug my old Win7 system out and hooked it up. OR works fine on that old Win 7 unit. F8 functions as it should, F6 and shift F6 work fine. The same act on the Pokey gives me the yard track numbers and station and building labels.

As a last resort I also replaced the Keyboard on the Win 10 computer. Did not change anything.
    No WP3 is Feather River. The act he mentioned was the eastbound California Zephyr

On the system with the problem.
    Press your Windows logo key.
    Type Regedit
    Click the Icon labeled Registry Editor
    Editor will open
    Under the menu items "File Edit View etc" is a line maybe blank or may say "COMPUTER"
    Either place your Cursor on the line if blank or select what is there and replace it with:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\OpenRails\ORTS
    Now in the left hand screen is a list that begins with (Default) then others listed alphabetically
    Scroll down to find WindowPosition_Switch
    Double Click on WindowPosition_Switch
    That will open a dialog window titled Edit String with four lines
    As in:
    Value Name
    (A box) with "WindowPosition_Switch"
    Value Data
    (A box) with Number period Number
    What are the numbers? If either are greater than 100, that is why F8 does not display the Switch Window.

While Registry Editor is open
    In left pane under ORTS are more folders
    Click on Keys
    Is there anything in the right pane other than (DEFAULT)?
    Last edited by crstagg; 11-08-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spoony1999 View Post
    No WP3 is Feather River. The act he mentioned was the eastbound California Zephyr
    NO I DID NOT mention an Activity. I posted a PATH name. I did not want him to use the ACT's player consist. Just use that PAT in the explore mode with an Engine only consist. Because at that starting point using the #3 view point there are 3 sidings and a Platform visable.
    Charles