Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F keys

I checked that earlier Gerry. I also tried a new keyboard to no avail. But as said they all work in MSTS. I do not own a lap top. No use for one. I like desktops because I can add hard drives, better video cards etc.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Hi Dave,
    I will correct one statement you posted. There is NO message display with F6, only with Shift+F6.

My apologies

Have you checked the F1 display to see if Station Labels is set as F6 (+ Shift)?
    The same may be found by pressing <Options> <Keyboard> and looking under Display..

Do you have ANY other software on your PC which uses F6 and F8, and is running at the same time as Open Rails? If so, try stopping it and re-check those keys in Open Rails. YES, I know you say MSTS works OK, but OR works in a different way! I know it's not MSTS because I've just had them both running together with no problem!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 11-10-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Ged Great fix you gave me. I discovered F8 was assigned to my Screen Hunter enable video. Reset that and F8 now works fine in OR!!

I just happened to remember that when you mentioned it.

Is there a way to search for key assignment over all in the computer? It may be F6 is also locked by another program but I can not recall what it might be. I will look at a couple of games that my daughter added on here and see what the hot keys are for them.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Hi Dave,
    Well, that's good news, mate - one down and one to go!!

Sorry, but I don't know of a way to check for other program's key assignments, but that's not to say there isn't one! I'm sure more experienced members will be able to help.

Cheers,
    Ged

Default F6 and F8 keys

Well folks, thanks to all the help and effort posted by all of you I now have the F8 display working and a substitute for F6 that works.

slipperman first mentioned if either key was also used by another program it might cause the problem. I did locate another program using F8. I moved that key in that program to another key. That allowed F8 to work and bring up the switch display in OR.

Today I tried to find a program using F6 but no luck. Thus I went to OR and deleted the F6 key and selected another key to replace it in OR. Works! As F6 worked in MSTS I do not know why it did not work in OR. I will say this, It is darn difficult to find a key sequence for the OR keyboard that is not already used.

So again thanks to all of you fine folks that spent the time and effort to help.

Dave
    Last edited by prr4ever; 11-11-2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Correct some spelling
    Dave Kolbenschlag