Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F keys

Dave, Found what may be your F8 problem
    Log.txt
    Line 162 WindowPosition_Switch = 0, 50
    Line 163 WindowPosition_TrackMonitor = (user set) 1, 50

The Switch Window is under the Track Monitor Window. Move the Track Monitor Window.
    Charles

Charles, I hate to be a PIA but the instructions here are confusing. Straight enough to follow except none of the lines you speak of are there or perhaps I am missing a step.

I opened the Registery Editor ok. It opens to "COMPUTER" followed by Name,Type,Data in the right hand box which has no entries in it. Is this where you want me to enter the statement above? If I double click "Computer"I get a list of 5 items. In this order: HKey Current Users, Classes Root, Local machine, Users, Current Config. If I open any of those there are sometimes no entry or many entries in others.
    I really do not want to mess with the registry as if I make a mistake it might become a problem
    Last edited by prr4ever; 11-09-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Error in typing original
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Moved it, tried F8 still no switch window.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    Moved it, tried F8 still no switch window.

I am at a loss to help you. You are the only one reporting this problem.

"In ORTS the F6 and F8 keys do not work." That is NOT true. They don't work for you.
    Charles

Well, I was only speaking for myself and I have mentioned on here several times they work in MSTS and they work on my WIN 7 computer.

I give up also.

Must be some strange bug in this Win10 Computer.

I will keep the Win 7 system up in use so I can work with that. Thanks for the help from all of you.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Quote Originally Posted by prr4ever View Post
    ...Must be some strange bug in this Win10 Computer..
    I have a laptop with Win10, and I've read reports of folks hitting some key combination --- and without knowing it --- resetting or changing how the keyboard "f#" keys work. You should locate the keyboard settings and reset everything to default.

It'll be under Settings, if it's not listed as "keyboard" look for "typing" and then look for some advanced keyboard settings.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi Gerry,
    I would agree with you, except for the fact that Dave has said the F-Keys work correctly in MSTS .......

His Open Rails is recognising that F6 is being pressed by showing the on-screen messages.

Dave, could it be that the location you're at doesn't have any station/siding labels? You seem to be using the NCR v3 route - try starting Explore at Willits station; at least 8 labels should be visible, when looking towards Eureka.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Afterthought! What happens if the graphics card doesn't have sufficient memory to show everything??
    Last edited by slipperman; 11-10-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Gerry,
    I would agree with you, except for the fact that Dave has said the F-Keys work correctly in MSTS .......

His Open Rails is recognising that F6 is being pressed by showing the on-screen messages.

Dave, could it be that the location you're at doesn't have any station/siding labels? You seem to be using the NCR v3 route - try starting Explore at Willits station; at least 8 labels should be visible, when looking towards Eureka.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Afterthought! What happens if the graphics card doesn't have sufficient memory to show everything??
    I am using an older card than Dave and the same amount, 1GB, of memory and I have no problem with the F keys.
    Charles

Hi Charles,
    Thank you!
    I hadn't checked Dave's OR log and was confusing him with another member who has problems with Open Rails, but who only has 0.3GB video memory!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Ged,

I have many activities that start at stations, yard tracks etc. I use the Pokey a lot, have a lot of activities on that route. Have tried some of them but no F6 display. However on my Win 7 computer they show up fine in ORTS F6/Shift F6 etc work fine on the Win 7 computer.

I will correct one statement you posted. There is NO message display with F6, only with Shift+F6.

My video card is NVIDA GTX1650 8GB.
    Dave Kolbenschlag