Thread: MSTS Editors

Default MSTS Editors

Using a newer computer. Can someone give me the path to bring up the MSTS Editors and Tools. I have tried to remember and I thought it was to add the word "toolset" in the path but that does not seem to work. If someone has the complete correct path I would appreciate it. I am assuming it starts with the drive letter and goes to launcher.exe in the Train Simulator Folder.

Thanks

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

"(Drive letter):\(MSTS install path)\launcher.exe" -runeditor
    with "s but not with ( and ).

By the way you have MSTS Manager in your ConBuilder folder. It has a button/shortcut to run MSTS Editor.
    Charles

Hi Charles,
    "(Drive letter):\(MSTS install path)\launcher.exe" -runeditor
    with "s but not with ( and ).

Although that is quite correct, and is how MSTS is set up by default, if processing large routes, it's as well to give MSTS as much memory as it can use. In which case, the line should read :

"(Drive letter):\(MSTS install path)\train.exe" -toolset -mem:2048

Cheers,
    Ged

Here's a list of MSTS command parameters from an old thread on the subject:

I have always used the memory switch set to -mem:1536 because I had found out that Bin had made it possible for MSTS to use this much memory. Is does make a difference. The upper limit for WinXP is 4Gb (well around 3.6MB) Follows is a recap of the target line switch parameters if anyone is interested:
    The switches can be used in combination eg...\train.exe -mem:1536 -vm:w
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\train.exe"
    ...\train.exe for playing train sim in full screen environment
    ...\train.exe -mem:1536 for playing MSTS full-screen with memory allocation in megs per Bin modification
    ...\train.exe -vm:w for playing MSTS in a window
    ...\train.exe -perflog for creating a performance log file in root directory of Train Sim
    ...\train.exe -toolset opens msts editor

****NOTE: forwardslash used on following switches***** these are used AFTER any parameter switch containing a - minus

...\train.exe /timeacceleration opens with time acceleration feature
    (Ctrl+T increases and Ctrl+Shift+T decreses time acceleration)
    ...\train.exe /anisotropic activates anisotropic filtering if supported by 3D graphics card
    ...\train.exe /fsaa activates full-scene anti-aliasing if supported. Adding this switch renders the view at a higher resolution and then samples it back down to the resolution you have chosen--it can slow down performance quite significantly but can also reduce jagged edges and improve the general appearance of the view.

...\train.exe /fsaa /anisotropic activates both full-scene antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. Adding this switch

improves the filtering used to render the textures, particularly on polygons that are almost perpendicular to the screen.

Note: Be aware that by using a shortcut to train.exe you bypass any options selected in the Troubleshooting menu. If you

need to reproduce the effect of these options you can add the following switches: all the parameters

/forcemaskz -- Smoke displays in block form.
    /pixbias -- Text displays in block form.
    /maxtex:256-- Textures are distorted.
    /nofiltercab-- Seams are visible in cab cockpits.
    /ttfblitfix -- Text is distorted or not displayed.
    /skipsizecheck -- Skip texture size limit test.
    /skipbiascheck -- Skip pixel behavior text.
    /simpleclipping -- Snow causes game to crash or does not display.

\train.exe /fsaa /nofiltercab Depending on the precise implementation of full-scene anti-aliasing on your 3-D card you

may see a seaming or tiling effect in the Cab views, in which case adding the switch /nofiltercab may help.

Some of the above are from old posts on the MicroSoft Train site pages
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks fellows!! All is well for this topic.

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Thanks Charles. Installed CB yesterday. Great to have it back. Thanks on the MSTS Editor. Have to run that yet.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

What's MSTS again?

I think it translate to clunky, funky, junky.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    What's MSTS again?
    Credit where it's due, MSTS activity editor still holds some regard in my book.

The alternate is using TSRE + OR Track viewer, which still lacks the track map UI for creating activities, a good time table calculation, and an activity playback mode for quickly fine tuning activities

If not for the extended features of OR not supported in MSTS AE, I would likely still use it

Yup. All of us are sort of cobbling together activity tool sets.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.