Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Train Operation

Default Long Train Operation

If you are operating long trains, then you will be interested in potential derailment issues, and your trains will need to be marshalled appropriately.

Open Rails supports derailment detection, and this feature is demonstrated in the mini route described here -

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...51#entry278251

The scenarios described are based upon actual Accident Reports describing derailments.

Please be aware:

Railcars with unusual wag characteristics are showing excessive derailment habits. These long runner cars by David Rowe that utilize a special wag to apply a third trailer to bridge the drawbar connection between 2 other railcars are constantly derailing the middle trailer wag on the gentlest of curves.

What other 'odd load' railcars are out there that are incompatible with the derailment math that could cause problems?

I'd think some of the welded rail and wind turbine cars would behave similarly.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have the "Activity Randomisation" option set to 2 and sometimes get a "carxx has derailed on the curve" message popping up. when I run activities with 89ft container flats in the consist. Doesn't seem to affect the activity so I just carry on regardless.

Nick
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

It's all about the length dimension parameters an number axles. If number axles were 0 there should be no derailment for the long runner centers. The ATWells I suspect are getting a complete all time fix for this with correct axles an dimension parameters.

long cars against short cars like the real thing an with the scenario are vulnerable to derailments when against long cars especially if close to headend.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Please be aware:
    Railcars with unusual wag characteristics are showing excessive derailment habits. These long runner cars by David Rowe that utilize a special wag to apply a third trailer to bridge the drawbar connection between 2 other railcars are constantly derailing the middle trailer wag on the gentlest of curves.
    Are you suggesting that the truck trailer is created as a car to add it to the load on the train?

As @UP_4848_Thunder has suggested, the principle issues that will create derailments on long trains are the "correct" combination of:

i) light weight cars
    ii) mixture of short and long cars positioned in adjacent positions
    iii) high train forces on their couplers.
    iv) small radius curves

Hence the worst case scenario is if a light weight car is placed at the front of a heavy train on a small radius curve.

If David's car meet the above type of criteria, then it is highly probable that derailment will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Please be aware:

Seeing how Rowe made the visual mid car a wag for visual purposes, there is few things that need to be adjusted. Dave had the center trailers mass at 0.5t. I would suggest to tweak these mass to at least 10.0t.

Other thing I would suggest is try these dimension parameters added to a section of the wag file
    For TTEX RTTX A an B units

ORTSLengthBogieCentre ( 19.890m )
    ORTSLengthCarBody ( 22.500m )
    ORTSLengthCouplerFace ( 28.605m )
    ORTSNumberAxles ( 4 )
    ORTSNumberBogies ( 2 )

For Center trailers

ORTSLengthBogieCentre ( 5.5m )
    ORTSLengthCarBody ( 10.500m )
    ORTSLengthCouplerFace ( 16.5m )
    ORTSNumberAxles ( 1 )
    ORTSNumberBogies ( 1 )

I thought ORTS didn't really have derailments like MSTS did

MSTS did not have ordinary derailments. It was possible to crash a train and have the cars derail, but it was not a design feature of the game.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy99 View Post
    I thought ORTS didn't really have derailments like MSTS did
    It doesn't...in OR there is a notification in the F5 Train Driving Info window that a car ( or cars ) have derailed, nothing else happens.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.