Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install me windows batch file not working in windows 10

Default install me windows batch file not working in windows 10

I am sure this has been asked before,but I searched old threads but didn't see anything. I change all the permissions for all folders when I am installing a route and when I hit install me, x copy keeps saying access denied. I am stumped, anybody know hot to fix this?

I would expect you have MSTS installed in c:\program files.

You need to reinstall MSTS outside program files to get the installme batch file to work correctly.

Trying to change permissions to fix the problem is like a rabbit hole.
    Cheers
    Derek

Unless you're actually using MSTS you really don't need to reinstall. Just move the Global, Routes, Sound and Trains folders to a new location.
    A reasonable location would be something like C:/Trainstuff. Keep it in a separate folder from OpenRails.
    If you are using MSTS you will have to start over like Derek said.

Randy

>Just move the Global, Routes, Sound and Trains folders to a new location

And how is the installme bat file going to find them, when you install other routes?
    Cheers
    Derek

thanks guys I will try that!

unbelievable all I did was move the msts folder to "c" and everything is fine. I didn't even have to reinstall. Thanks friends

The same way it works when it's in the C:/ drive.
    It doesn't use the drive letter it uses the relative location of the folders.
    Don't tell me that after all of this time you don't have an install outside of the programs folder.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    The same way it works when it's in the C:/ drive.
    It doesn't use the drive letter it uses the relative location of the folders.
    Don't tell me that after all of this time you don't have an install outside of the programs folder.

Randy
    Agree with Randy, just what I've been doing for quite a while. I have a "Temp Install" location under C:\ORTS\Default_MSTS_Routes\ROUTES...that's where I place a route to run its bat file --- if required by the instructions --- works fine. In fact everything associated with Open Rails is under the main C:\ORTS\ location.

bandicam 2021-12-01 07-48-14-924.jpg bandicam 2021-12-01 07-54-32-804.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

The question of should one reinstall out of Program Files or copy the install to new location or just copy the required subfolders all depends on various situations. However, reinstalling would be the best choice. The reason I say this is because the installme.bat could be written to read the registry for the MSTS path to copy the files from. Or the beginning of the Bat file could look like this:
    echo off
    if exist ..\..\train.exe goto start
    goto error
    (Of course this could be worked around by creating a zero byte file named train.exe.)

In all the safest situation is to startover and use the procedure at Steam4Me to install under Win 7 which applies to all Win OS since Win 7. Also consider that a few of the older utilities rely on the Registry for the location of the install.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    The question of should one reinstall out of Program Files or copy the install to new location or just copy the required subfolders all depends on various situations. However, reinstalling would be the best choice. The reason I say this is because the installme.bat could be written to read the registry for the MSTS path to copy the files from. Or the beginning of the Bat file could look like this:
    echo off
    if exist ..\..\train.exe goto start
    goto error
    (Of course this could be worked around by creating a zero byte file named train.exe.)

In all the safest situation is to startover and use the procedure at Steam4Me to install under Win 7 which applies to all Win OS since Win 7. Also consider that a few of the older utilities rely on the Registry for the location of the install.
    My practice was to look at all the installme.bat files prior to execution...I cannot remember one with the example you posted...(I'm open to correction if you find one)...this is what they always present >>> call xcopy "..\ or copy "..\USA2 -- Always referring to the folder one level above location of installme.bat file.

...and the registry enter can be a dummy at any location--preferably outside of the protected MS folders as ( to repeat what you posted ) the Steam4Me site recommends.
    bandicam 2021-12-01 10-48-17-862.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.