Thread: Tigertrains - Bombardier LRC Amtrak - cab\brake sound looping

Default Tigertrains - Bombardier LRC Amtrak - cab\brake sound looping

I've installed the Tigertrains' Bombardier LRC Amtrak train set in OR 1.4. Works OK but a cab sound is looping nonstop, I think the air compressor, continues nonstop regardless of brake actions- setting, releasing, initializing. Not sure if it's a misconfiguration in a cab sound or some defect in the brake system parameters. I don't recall hearing this LRC cab sound running continuously in MSTS, in years past.

Anyone seen ... well - I should ask has anyone heard the likes of this before? Anyone else running the LRC sets in OR? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also have the VIA Rail version of the LRC set, will install it for a comparison test.

2012005-768x768.jpg
    Last edited by ftldave; 12-04-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

The VIA LRC set doesn't have the same sound profile as the Amtrak set I installed first. And, correction, the Amtrak LRC sound does stop after about 10 minutes of running. The VIA set brake sounds are much like similar locomotives - "normal". And the long-sounding Amtrak LRC's brake noise is not just a cab sound, is audible in external views as well.

I'll try a reinstallation, and if there's no joy from that, with a good working example in the VIA set, I think I can get the Amtrak set to sound the same. But makes me wonder if there are differences, were there differences, in the Amtrak LRC demo and the Canadian LRC locos in real life, AND in these trainsets?
    Last edited by ftldave; 12-04-2021 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

First a caveat that until recently I was running incremental releases of the Monogame version from the Elvas tracks thread, and I haven't fairly tried it in 1.4 yet so these issues may no longer exist or be what they were at the time;

I own the VIA set and definitely noticed issues on my setup with the brake system sounds looping for a long time usually after the brakes are released, both in cab and external. Since its an older "made for MSTS" set, I try forgive it and just do the brake system reset override and eventually it stops. It wasn't exactly a consistent problem. Some sessions it was fine for most of the run, sometimes it would be immediately doing the noise when I loaded in the activity. If you aren't experiencing this with the VIA set at all, perhaps I should try to fresh install it or just see if Openrails 1.4 resolved it here too.

Fortunately or not, VIA deadlined a majority of their LRC locomotives early on but kept the car fleet in service with other power so unless I'm strictly in the early 80's, I optionally use the SLI F40 if the LRC braking sound problem is really bad that day.

The bigger problem for me was a visual one that I mentioned to Ian. He referred to it as alphanorm- cutouts of the model not working as intended in OR. Without getting into detail, parts of the locomotive skin are supposed to be cut away to reveal deeper but very visible geometry details modelled behind it. One of the rare things that works in MSTS but not OR. I should fire it up in 1.4 to see if its fixed with the update. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Thank you, lrc2, for the reply, so now I know it's "not just me". The two sets do have identical sound schemes but the intermittent nature of this sound anomaly made it appear otherwise. I've never tried the visual detail feature - confess that I wasn't aware or else had forgotten it.

I've always had interest in the odd, often ahead-of-their-time trains of the past which tried to change the passenger train concept - the Aerotrains, Turbo Trains, RTG Turbo's, etc. I've always thought the LRC was part of that historic effort.

25001.jpg
    - FTLDave

Indeed. It attempted to walk back the locomotive solution to a diesel engine block from the turbines of the 60's, but still have the 125mph running speed and it succeeded; its just the host railways and fussy rules like grade crossing regulations that kept it to 100mph.