Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2 years since last news update

Quote Originally Posted by deltapooh View Post
    I know I am frustrated. I'm just hoping the developers take comments the right way. Frustration met with silence or worse frustration could be detrimental to the thin train simulation community.
    Can't help but contrast Run 8/3DTS with DTG, who just had a massive publicity event, "Festival Of Rail" with up to 75% off most of the DLC for TSW2. Various live streaming events (not really my bag, but watched a bit later recorded on You Tube) culminating in a big reveal about the first steam era route coming to TSW. Even though they didn't have too much to show yet, you could see the enthusiasm as the route and locomotives were announced, followed by a presentation of how they are tackling the challenges of building a route from 64 years ago. The actual launch is still some months away, probably not until Q4 this year, but they are fully behind keeping the community and customer base informed and involved.

Now before one of the R8 mods comes in and bleats about mentioning a rival product in the section about this half dead sim, my point is this is how you do publicity and get the target audience on board. You don't hide behind a wall of silence when your potential customers are looking for a bit of news and maybe a little something to whet the appetite and confirm that something is in the pipeline.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Can't help but contrast Run 8/3DTS with DTG, who just had a massive publicity event.
    Can't help but contrast that 3DTS is a couple guys moonlighting, and DTG has 130+ employees.....

Argue all you want that "if you take my money you become a business" but it doesn't change the fact that 3DTS is still nothing more than a couple guys working on this in their free time (as are most of the payware providers for train sim platforms). Marketing and publicity tend to take a back seat.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

DTG spends time and money tantalizing and promising and once it squeezes cash out of customers, always disappoints only to ramp up another campaign. We know the two or three guys at 3DTs are hard at work and when they deliver, they never disappoint.

Oh I get that and not expecting the full on PR event. However they are still a business selling a not particularly cheap product which has, to my knowledge, been discounted. It wouldn't hurt as they are working on something, they think "Wow this looks really cool, let's share it," to let people know the game is still alive.

Guess it is what it is.

And not all DTG products are a disappointment...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    .........Argue all you want that "if you take my money you become a business" but it doesn't change the fact that 3DTS is still nothing more than a couple guys working on this in their free time ......Marketing and publicity tend to take a back seat.
    There is no argument....it is simply a statement of fact, which you can't seem to grasp.
    Have a look at their website and what they offer and for how much.
    It IS a business in the full sense of the term.

As for "marketing and publicity", if the guy (PerryPlatypus) doing the Shasta route for Open Rails can provide us with updates - and he's a one-man operation - then what prevents 3DTS from doing something similar?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Perhaps this has been expressed in other ways.

Mostly I find virtual hobbies that "require" me to be active in them, more enjoyable despite their shortcomings of perfection we "might" expect. Some common business practices is to get things "out the door" even if they are not the best, to keep interest/money flowing. Quality control always costs time and money, and often those two are in conflict with each other. Unfortunately quality rarely equates with quantity. If your interests are based on quantity, you might not feel a lot of happiness with the lack of quality. If you want quality, you may have to "wait" for it, if it comes at all, and the price might be more than you are willing to part with.

You may lament the lack of output to your schedule, but nothing is keeping you from moving on to something else, even if it is never optimal to your expectations or taste. There are other rail sims, some more appealing than others, and some that require a level of engagement and time, and yes, learning. I prefer to tinker, and like a sim that allows me to do that from time to time.

I have watched many videos of Run8 over the years. My personal preference is good user control of the display, I hate jaggies and aliasing. I hope that V3 might allow for that. It would be nice if 3DTS allowed for bulk buying and discounts, but I think that given the volume of paid users that might not ever be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    There is no argument....it is simply a statement of fact, which you can't seem to grasp.

As for "marketing and publicity", if the guy (PerryPlatypus) doing the Shasta route for Open Rails can provide us with updates - and he's a one-man operation - then what prevents 3DTS from doing something similar?
    You don't seem to understand very well of various free time each individual has. Some have very little, some have more than others. There are times that Sean can't get a chance to provide any update, just like the rest of us. I talk with Sean, and others from TS, outside of this forum, and sometimes I catch them off guard, resulting in maybe two to three days before they get back to me. No hard feelings, as I myself personally know what it's like to have little free time, let alone deal with the needs of needy folks on here, after having a long day.

Patience and key, and it's apparent some have lost that.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

You are flogging a dead horse buddy, i am sorry to say.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Perry is doing it put of passion and enthusiasm, not obligation. Some people love to show off their work.

Others might be afraid of not meeting the expectations of others, or find the level of ongoing critique to be too much to bear (remember Dale and the Siskyou?).

I'm no fan of 3DTS, but some of you appear to have set your expectations a little too high. Its not surprising they don't want to deal with the negative reactions when that's all this forum seems to generate lately.

Anyone who has bought R8 has gotten their money's worth. Nowhere did I see a promise to do any upgrade of the game engine, so what exactly hasn't been delivered?

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    You are flogging a dead horse buddy, i am sorry to say.
    Yep......you are right on the money, Mike.
    This horse is as dead as dead can be.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0