Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do in Open Rails

Default What do you do in Open Rails

I have finally built a computer which is capable of playing a little train stuff.

So I have been following Run8 and waiting for Version 3 to be released and then I strolled back here, and remembered the open rails system from a couple years ago.

So in an average week of doing stuff, how many hours do you find yourself spending on Open Rails and what do you primarily do when you are spending your time?

I use it like a model railroad.

An endless model railroad.

I use it to learn about the physics of large machines...and of course, as a child I loved to watch my Lionel go round-and-round...and now -- many, many years after time traveling into the future ( time travel exists...it is just very very slow - but when you get to your destination, it feels as if you just got there...a quantum conundrum ) I still get to play with trains.

BKeatonTrain.jpeg
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-07-2021 at 09:50 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I like to run consist that I have seen in person or in pictures.I also spend alot of time in goku's consist editor there is nothing like seeing exactly what your putting in your consist I find it kind of addictive Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chilla View Post
    I like to run consist that I have seen in person or in pictures.I also spend alot of time in goku's consist editor there is nothing like seeing exactly what your putting in your consist I find it kind of addictive Lol.
    Exactly. Building consists and creating a story in my pretty little fantasy world is very rewarding. Most of the time it's even better than running the consists in the updated activities

Wim

I like where this thread is going. Open Rails is very... OPEN! That is the simple beauty of it. We, as the end users, get to create with it our own little stories. I enjoy modeling complex trackwork for real world industries in my home town, and using historical satellite imagery, piece together the switching strategy and consists for how to operate those industries. I may or may not be emulating the prototype correctly, but at some point we have to recognize that it is in fact... a game.

terminal-4.jpg

I get a lot of enjoyment from adding objects to a route and then recognising them sometime later as I run an activity. Oh and getting (and occasionally giving) help here on the forums.

Nick.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

I have been doing some route building which admittedly gets tedious at times. There are 2 routes I am developing, one to be released in Beta soon and another which is probably at least a year away from release.

My favorite thing is developing new activities. Other times I like to relax and run various routes I have downloaded from here and UKtrainsim as I have an interest in both US and UK railroading. I just recently discovered the Monon route and am playing with that. In the past I also got interested in Australian railways and developed a couple of activities for the Illiiwara route in New South Wales.

Favorite routes to run are:
    PRR East - I have developed some activities for this both PRR era and modern day
    London Tilbury and Southend (UK)
    Illiwara V3 (Australia)
    Mid East Plus
    Fred Barbieri's NYC elevated and subway routes

Mostly I bounce between building objects and building routes. I don't actually run that many trains in the sim

I like to modify existing routes. I enjoy adding fictional towns and placing trees on sparsely populated routes.

Fred