Thread: MSTS Default GP38-2 External Engine Sound Not Initially Heard!?

Question MSTS Default GP38-2 External Engine Sound Not Initially Heard!?

Just noticed this now.

The default MSTS GP38-2 locomotive external engine sound is not heard when running under various versions of Open Rails including Open Rails version 1.4 and Open Rails New Year Monogame version 91!?

Although the GP38-2 is the default locomotive from MSTS, the external engine sounds are from KLW which replaced the original default GP38-2 sounds that came with MSTS.

Running the GP38-2 locomotive under MSTS, the external engine sounds are heard fine. The problem seems to be with hearing the GP38-2 external engine sounds when running under Open Rails only!?

To complicate matters, while running under Open Rails, the GP38-2 external engine sounds can be heard ONLY after throttling up the locomotive. And when throttled back to idle, the external engine sounds can now be heard with no further issues.

So for some reason, Open Rails doesn't play the initial GP38-2 external engine sounds until the engine is throttled up!? Yet MSTS plays the sounds OK!

What is wrong here?

Zipped external engine sms file attached for reference -

40eng.zip

Please attach the Open Rails Log.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thanks Vince for your comment.

I was about to upload the Open Rails log file, when I had a closer look at this log content. It appears Open Rails couldn't find the external power cruise sound (for idle) initially. So I had another closer look at the engine sms file and found the problem!

The sms file had the line "../../../Common.Snd/KLW_40series/x_40_power_cruise1.wav" . . ., when in fact the line should have read "../../Common.Snd/KLW_40series/x_40_power_cruise1.wav" . . . . So Open Rails was looking into a non-existent directory for this sound file and couldn't find it, initially. So that is why there was no idle sound initially.

I changed the sms file line so that Open Rails would now find the sound file.

Now Open Rails can find the external engine idle sound file! No more sound issues so far!

Thanks for the (indirect) hint Vince!