Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSTS vs. TRAINZ...what's the difference?

Arrow MSTS vs. TRAINZ...what's the difference?

If anybody has tried out the TRAINZ sim program and can explain how TRAINZ is differs from our querky ol' MSTS and how it works, I would be grateful.

Happened to see some very nicely detailed locos and rolling stock advertised for TRAINZ19 and am intrigued. Been using MSTS for many years now and am very familiar with the way it works, querks and all, but TRAINZ seems to me to be entirely different. I'm curious to know if TRAINZ is interesting or unique enough to look into.

1. Looks like a British product but has some nice North American rolling stock and steam engines. Since their North American selections are somewhat limited, do you think it work the cost?

2. Is it a download deal like Flight Sim FSX on STEAM or do you buy a set of disks? Coming from England that could be problematic!

3. Is there freeware available and will they easily install and run in TRANZ, or are you limited to buying what is sold at their store in the way of add-on locos, cars, scenery and the like? I notice that the add-ons aren't cheap, either!

4. I see where they say you can easily create your own routes in TRS19. Well, just how easy is it to do? MSTS in rather complicated in that department.

5. There seems to be a whole list of TRANZ programs available at their store. Question is...can they be installed separately on the same drive and are they different/interesting enough to be worth the effort and cost or are these just updated versions stemming from their first release?

6. Assume you can have both MSTS and TRAINZ running on the same drive; is that right? Has anybody tried that?

Would appreciate any info or thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    JonB :

The section of the board you've posted in is actually for Train Sim World, the DTG programme.

Anyway Trainz is an acquired taste, more game than sim. Best thing you can do is buy the Steam version of TRS19 and run it for two hours. If you don't like it, refund.

MSTS is a totally different now rather ancient programme and nothing to do with any other sim apart from Open Rails, which is essentially a freeware successor.
    Vern.

As a postscript to the above, if you are looking for a fairly modern relatively hassle free simulator with plenty offUK content, why not give DTGs Train Simulator a try? It’s all pretty seamless with Steam and if you wait a couple of weeks likely to be some good bargains in the seasonal sale. Or indeed kick off with Train Sim World - routes like Northern Trans Pennine and Tees Valley are very good, if a bit short. The London to Brighton route added this year has a few shortcomings but if you don’t mind driving modern Electrostar units has lots to offer.
    Vern.

I'll just respond to Question 4.

Once you require the skills, incredibly easy. It allows you to indulge your creative instincts. I do some "routes", but mainly I do model railroads. This took maybe a couple of weeks. All the assets and dependencies are either built-in to TRS19 or are free downloads from the Trainz Download Station. Best watched full screen and at 1080p:

I have several other videos on youtube. If you are interested, seach with "philskene".

Phil

I'm a diehard MSTS/OR trainsimmer myself but I really admire the background scenery in Phil's videos.
    Regards,

Nick

Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Trainz main advantage is the easy route building, particularly for model based stuff. I'm working on something now, based on one of the old 1970's Peco plans which would be very difficult to do in the MSTS/OR world or even DTG TS.
    Vern.

I would leave Trainz well alone. Going nowhere as far as realism is concerned.

As far as i am concerned N$V are clueless about real world railways.

As this is the TSW2 section. To stay on topic, i wouldn't use that rubbish either.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    I would leave Trainz well alone. Going nowhere as far as realism is concerned.

As far as i am concerned N$V are clueless about real world railways.

As this is the TSW2 section. To stay on topic, i wouldn't use that rubbish either.
    ...and a Merry Christmas to you sir!
    Regards,

Nick

Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    ...and a Merry Christmas to you sir!
    Don't call me sir, i worked for a living.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Don't call me sir, i worked for a living.
    Hard working or Hardly working?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.