Thread: OR Multiple Folders

Default OR Multiple Folders

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    The landscape is about to change now that open rails has the ability to pull from multiple trainset folders at once. ................

Christopher
    What version/update provided that capability? How does one setup OR to use this capability?
    Charles

It is in the latest experimental releases. Basically you create a profile file that points to as many folders as you'd like (ie, multiple TRAINSET folders) -- and it reads .zip files that have not been expanded.
    Christopher

See this thread at Elvas (read YoRyan's & gpz posts for an overview )...interesting stuff.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ata-structure/
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-18-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

It is in the latest experimental releases. Basically you create a profile file that points to as many folders as you'd like (ie, multiple TRAINSET folders) -- and it reads .zip files that have not been expanded.
    Christopher

I'm interested in the opposite effect - ONE master copy of TRAINSET folder, somewhere, readable by many OR installations.

Well, for me its like this:

When i am creating activity... i got open TSRE5' consist editor (with 3689 consists and 3535 dirs of rolling stock), TSRE5's route editor, OR's track viewer and i am running OR to test my activities.

Never i had experienced any hiccups, stutters or any lag while everything is running. True i got 16gig of ram installed. I don't know how much my mem my comp is using, but honestly if all of this has no problem running, i'm not interested in checking. Whenever my consist editor crashes is usually due to shape file corrupted or hiccups in eng files. Route editor can crash also, but not sure about the reasons.

So to say I have a modern middrange comp. And its running very smooth. There is a trick to this, which involves compatibility between components and "debloat"-ing windows software that i personally do not need for Open Rails in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    Well, for me its like this:
    Whenever my consist editor crashes is usually due to shape file corrupted or hiccups in eng files.
    Not to doubt you, but what reproducible "proof" do you have to what you have stated here?

Sure, I can open the consist editor like you, but that does not mean that your setup will not always crash, if you do what I explained above.

Steve

Christopher
    And the location of this "Profile folder must be in ______?
    And the name of this "Profile folder" must be___________?
    And the files of this "Profile Folder" must be ______ or their extension must be _________?
    And the format of these files is ________________?

Or where is this covered in the Manual?
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I'm interested in the opposite effect - ONE master copy of TRAINSET folder, somewhere, readable by many OR installations.
    Like you, from a users point of view, I think this is a simpler solution. I have looked at the proposal and until there are some very clear examples, most, including myself will probably shy away from even trying it. But in all of this, I think a revamped consist editor is needed to handle this "fancier" way of doing things. As things stand right now having separate route folders with separate train sets will only lead to duplication. Since the location of routes and their activities are tied, the consist/activity editor must be able to handle this for train sets. Any change at this point will most likely have to break MSTS compatibility.

Whenever I look at an activity file I always wonder why there are no storage media paths defined to find rolling stock. But the answer is clear, this insures portability with no predefined paths to break things. Perhaps if Open Rails was "smarter" it would know to always look at some special train folder to find the rolling stock, perhaps a user defined train folder that Open Rails would read and always use at runtime for any given route.

This chicken and egg scenario is not an easy one. Agreeing and perhaps "ruffling a few feathers" in the process is not going to be an easy sell. At this point, it was at least a decade ago that the thought of a different file format for shape files was presented and discussed. But there has been little to no effort to proceed. So we have what we have, antiquated perhaps, but thus far it has "withstood the test of time" as nobody has been willing to put the effort to change it. My final thought is that, without KUJU providing mostly human readable and modifiable files, Open Rails would never exist. I do not think that ANY of the current more modern commercial sims would allow that.

Steve