Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving Other Consist?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

Still digesting all the information, but where is the "Advanced AI Shunting" option in OR? I've looked in all options and don't see anything related to shunting at all!? This relates to OR stable version 1.4.
    Hi Peter,

Section 10.13 in the manual.

Basically it’s using specialized “wait points” when building an activity - Track Viewer has the ability to place these extended wait points via a menu for the wait point.

It’s pretty slick - I’ve built activities that have an AI helper shuffling cars around the coal yard - the player train pulls in and pulls string off the player train for a drop - player locomotive reconnects to the head end - the AI helper gets done with shuffling and connects to the rear of train - helps push the train to the top of the hill - automatically disconnects - grabs another string of empties and trundles off down the hill - all by itself.

It’s pretty slick - once you get the hang of what’s possible - sometimes I don’t even use the player train and just sit back and watch multiple AI going about their duties - making up and breaking down trains - all without intervention.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noted, thanks. But I'm still a bit puzzled.

I have seen mention of check box(es) within OR Options tab that have to be selected in order to run advanced or extended AI shunting.

Here are a couple of links that mention check boxes.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind.../page__st__150

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-for-OpenRails

However, I don't see any check boxes within OR version 1.4 for enabling Advanced or Extended AI Shunting!?

Where are these check boxes? Have they been removed now from later versions of OR?

Have they been removed now from later versions of OR?
    Yes. The feature has been incorporated by default.

How do you set this up to have helper locomotives do this in yards? Do I use them as loose consist and they do this automatically or do I use them as regular consist as AI traffic to get them to do this? Let me know please.

Default Driving Other Consist?

Quote Originally Posted by FireEngine View Post
    How do you set this up to have helper locomotives do this in yards? Do I use them as loose consist and they do this automatically or do I use them as regular consist as AI traffic to get them to do this? Let me know please.
    Hi.

You can couple or uncouple from either AI or LC. Typically you would have the AI Path intercept the LC - the AI will sense it and slow down to couple. So then I normally use a wait point to tell it how many cars to grab or leave - I add another wait point for a delay before moving again to simulate connecting brake hoses - and finally a reverse point to pull away again to go on to whatever the next move is. All movement still needs a path so keep that in mind. You’ll need to play with it a little to get the hang of positioning but it’s pretty easy once you try it a couple times.

Having AI doing real work is a godsend - I don’t think many have ever tried.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 12-28-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Question

I can see problems with the AI helper consist coupling to the rear of player train. It seems to be all dependent on times and timing only, not on anything else (like location).

In my activity, my train travels for awhile before reaching near the bottom of the hill. My train is then stopped just past the siding where (AI) helpers are located. The helpers then couple to the rear of my train, and then my train resumes the activity by now going up the hill with the assistance of the helpers at the rear of my train.

Because my train has to driven for awhile before it has to be stopped the collect the helpers, timing of this procedure is near impossible as it depends on how fast my train is driven. So it is impossible to set a specific time when my train has stopped past the siding and when the (AI) helpers should then move to couple to my train.

The "wait" option for the (AI) helpers is time dependent only (apparently), so setting specific times/delays is impossible as this depends on how fast my train is driven to the coupling location just past the (AI) helpers siding!

For the moment I'm reversing my train into the non-AI helpers siding to couple them to the rear of my train. Note that there are two versions of my activity. One where I reverse my train into the helper siding to couple to non-AI helpers (loose consist), and the other (still under development) where AI helpers are at this helpers siding instead of non-AI (loose consist) helpers. This second activity version is the one I'm having difficulty with.

So how do you get the (AI) helpers to couple to the rear of my train when my train has stopped past the helpers siding?

Detailed (step be step) information would be appreciated instead of the more generic responses so far.

Thank you.

....So how do you get the (AI) helpers to couple to the rear of my train when my train has stopped past the helpers siding?

Detailed (step be step) information would be appreciated instead of the more generic responses so far.

Thank you.
    It's all in the manual, this is one instance where reading and study will pay off...special waiting points with specific numerical values are placed in the AI path. You'll need to put in some work like Scott, myself and all the others that use these special activity features have done.

A Sample from Manual Section: Extended AI Train Shunting 10.13

10.13.1 General:
    Having AI trains performing shunting operations ensures more interesting and varied activities.
    Note that this feature is not available in Timetable mode, which has other ways to perform AI Train shunting.
    The following additional shunting functions are available:
    1. AI train couples to a static consist and restarts with it.

2. AI train couples to a player or AI train and becomes part of it; the coupled train continues on its path.

3. AI train couples to a player or AI train and leaves to it its cars; the coupled and coupling train continue on their path.

4. AI train couples to a player or AI train and steals its cars; the coupled and coupling train continue on their path.

5. AI train uncouples any number of its cars; the uncoupled part becomes a static consist. With the same function it is possible to couple any number of cars from a static consist.

6. AI train couples to a player or AI train; the resulting combined train runs for part of the path, then stops; the train is split there into two parts that continue on their own paths (join and split function).

7. AI train can get permission to pass a signal at danger.

These functions are described in detail below.
    A sample activity can be found in Documentation\SampleFiles\Manual\Show_AI_shunting_ enh.zip.
    ..........and
    Activity development
    1) The two trains start as separate trains, couple together and decouple later in the game . After that of course such trains can couple to other trains, and so on.

2) The coupling train becomes an “Incorporated” train after coupling, that is it has no more cars or locomotives (they all become part of the coupled train) and is a sort of virtual train. In this phase it is not shown in the Dispatcher information HUD. It will return to life when an uncoupling command (automatic or manual) is issued.

3) To become an “Incorporated” train, the coupling train if of AI type, must pass in its path before coupling over a Waiting Point with value 60001 (the effective waiting time is 0 seconds); such WP is not necessary if the coupling train is the player train.

4) For the coupling train to couple to the rear of the coupled train there are no particular requirements; if however you want to have very short runs from coupling train start to coupling moment, it could be necessary to insert a couple of reversal points in between, or else the train could stop and avoid coupling. Please don’t disdain double reversals: they are sometimes the only way to limit the authority range of a train.

5) If the coupling train has to couple to the front of the coupled train, obviously a reversal point is needed for the coupling train: it must be laid somewhere under the coupled train, or even farther down in the same track section; also in this case there can be a problem of authority, that could require that the coupled train has a couple of reversal points after the point where it waits to be coupled.

6) The incorporated train has its own path, but from coupling to decoupling point it must pass over the same track sections of the path of the incorporating train. The incorporated train must not have waiting points nor station stops in the common path part (the coupled train instead may have them). If there are reversals within the common path part, they must be present in both paths.

7) At the point of decoupling the number of cars and locomotives to be decoupled from the train can be different from the number of the original train.

8) The whole train part to be decoupled must lie on the same track section. After decoupling, the “incorporated” train returns to being a standard AI train.9) Manual decoupling (for player trains) occurs using the F9 window; automatic decoupling occurs with the 4NNSS and 5NNSS commands (see previous paragraph); the first one has to be used when the part to be decoupled is at the rear of the train, and the second one where the part is at the front of the train.
    <<<my emphasis above.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-29-2021 at 03:12 AM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Good Morning! Just want to know anyone one on here can post an activity and upload it to the file library where this occurs where the helpers work in the yard for us to use so we can see this in action? That would be awesome as we could sit and waatch them work before we moved our train. Thanks A Lot! Much Appreciated!

Question

R. Steele,

Thanks for the response.

Sorry, but that does not really help much. I have read through (I believe) relevant sections of the OR manual regarding AI helpers movement. But the descriptions within the manual seem to be generic and not detailed enough.

So it is still not clear on what specifically has to be done to enable AI helpers movement.

I had in mind that responses would detail the procedure for having the AI helpers move appropriately. Like, place a waiting point here with a delay of (whatever), and place a location event here with the condition of (whatever), and so on.

A reminder that my activity is basically a simple one, with my train going to the top of a hill where the activity ends. But my train has to stop part way to collect helpers in order for my train to make it up the hill.

That's it! The AI helpers do not have to be decoupled nor anything else. The entire train (helpers included) just goes to the top of a hill where the activity ends.

So, can anyone, please suggest detailed activity actions that have to be done in order for the AI helpers to couple to my train??

Thank you.

Are you using MSTS-AE, or TSRE_AE in combination with the OR Trackviewer tool?

Anyway, this is the best I can do, no more time at the moment to guide you through making an activity, perhaps some other member?

https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...tml#activities
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.