Thread: Best Program and Tutorials for OR Scenery Design?

Default Best Program and Tutorials for OR Scenery Design?

Hi all! It's been a while since I last posted. I recently upgraded my laptop to a higher-end desktop, and I am wanting to get around to finishing my Frisco route I started a while back. However, this is my dream project, so I am wanting it to look as realistic as possible, and I came into a roadblock with scenery designs. I love the detail on the buildings in routes such as the MONON or any route that Paul Charland makes (which are some of my favorites ), so I was wondering what you guys consider as the best program for creating models (TSM, Sketchup, etc) and if anyone could point me in the right direction to the best tutorials or guides for both designing and texturing.
    Thank you!
    -Cade VerHage-
    New arrival to the Route Builder community
    Focusing on the railroads of the Midwest and Southeast (1920's-1970's)
    Huge Frisco Fan

Default Best Program and Tutorials for OR Scenery Design?

Hi.

Today - all roads lead to “Blender” for a modeler starting out - it makes absolutely no sense to invest any time in learning old unsupported products or products that don’t do everything you might need. While Blender may have a bit steeper learning curve in the beginning - it has a massive community - who’ve published thousands of tutorial videos. You can probably find a tutorial on YouTube walking you through each and every step along your way. When stumped - I’m sure someone here will be able to get you over the hurdle. Suggest you start small - make a barrel or something - load Wayne Campbell’s MSTS/ORTS exporter and just try getting an object made, textures, exported, and loaded into the sim. It’s all FREE. Best of luck - we sorely need more modelers.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best program would be the one that works best for you. TSM and Sketchup are free so download them and have a play and see if its intuitive.

I use blender so it wont come as a surprise that I recommend blender. The download of the MSTS/OR exporter for blender, includes an example building and an example locomotive model. You can examine these models in blender and see how they are constructed and export them.

To see if blender is going to be your cup of tea I would suggest watching the first 19 blender fundamentals courses https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ksYnB0qL9yWDO6.

They are reasonably short and will show what skills you will learn.

Blender does many different things but essentially, if you want to create 3D models for MSTS/OR routes, then learn about low poly hard surface modelling for game assets. There are many tutorials on youtube and other learning sites that teach blender. You choose the ones that work for you.

I hope this helps. Most of all, keep working at it. Post questions if you get stuck. Some one is sure to help.

Cheers,

Marek.

If you don't have bad habits from Sketchup already, learn Blender and go build a couple dozen or hundred models you're willing to trash and re-do a year later when you finally master the tool...

I still use Sketchup for 99% of my models unless I need something specific with an animation or a heirarchy (e.g. signals). But I have years of muscle memory from Sketchup and a couple thousand SKP files to use as a starting point.

Thank you all! I will probably go with learning Blender. I appreciate the help because I feel that the Midwest (especially the Frisco) is under-represented in MSTS/OR, especially in the transition era, and would love to contribute to the OR modeler community.
    -Cade VerHage-
    New arrival to the Route Builder community
    Focusing on the railroads of the Midwest and Southeast (1920's-1970's)
    Huge Frisco Fan

You should know that Andre Ming has done some Frisco route building, though he tend toward the 1800's link and pin era. He hangs out on Elvas Tower.
    Christopher

This thread has motivated me to finally bit the bullet and try Blender.

In the past I have been using Sketchup for scenery objects, but the current version I am using (2017) has issues with texturing properly anything but a plain texture. I am also thinking of doing a subway car and I know Sketchup doesn't do animation. I have tried TSM but find the screen display very limiting and frustrating to use for anything at all complex.

Hi Jon,

Now THAT's what I'm talk'n about - I salute anyone making the attempt...

It's not rocket science. A little persistence and you'll be explaining to others how to do it - before you know it.

ORTS: Modelers Wanted

Regards,
    Scott