Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Restoring saved game troubles

Hi Will,
    If your keys work correctly for MSTS, then, maybe it's some Open Rails setting which is upsetting your PC.
    I see you're running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. If so, why are you running RunActivityAA.exe and not RunActivity.exe?
    When a user is having problems which nobody else is, it's not something others can help with because it's usually something 'local'.
    Maybe you're running other programs at the same time as Open Rails - it doesn't matter so much with MSTS because OR is more demanding. Your graphics system is an entry level card and may be struggling to keep up with what you're asking it to do. Try setting the viewing distance to the default of 2000 instead of 3000.

By the way, I am, mainly, an MSTS user but occasionally run Open Rails

Cheers,
    Ged

The RunActivityAA is the large address aware version correct? What would be the benefit of limiting its use of extra available memory? I've had the viewing distance at 2000 before. No difference. I upped it after getting this card. I don't think the video card is struggling as I've seen the FPS range from 150-200 with vertical sync off. As for background programs I don't have anything extra running. It's just so frustrating since I have no keyboard issues on anything else. And now seeing the task of having to go through every consist and activity to eliminate OR only stuff, having routes and rolling stock I paid for and can't use and just stepping backwards from OR when its such a dramatic improvement from MSTS just makes me want to ditch everything all together.
    Will

I've re-read the thread...originally this was the problem:
    Could somebody please explain to me why when i restore a saved game there are several keyboard functions that will not work. Mostly the throttle. The escape key and F keys will all still function.
    You have updated the version you use...correct? So to be sure...

1. Which OR version are you currently using?
    2. SPECIFICALLY...which keyboard functions do not work? (Throttle is normally the A and D keys.)
    3. Have you checked your key assignments Options tab -- Keyboard.
    4. Please attach a current OR log.
    5. It has been documented that some programs "grab" keys and interfere with other programs...there are programs to check to see if there are conflicting key assignments.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Awhile back, I ran into a unique problem in Open Rails where trains would behave like they were hitting a bumper post upon coming to any curved track. I spent about 4 days trying to diagnose it, thinking of all the possibilities. I asked here if anybody was seeing the same phenomena and nobody replied in the affirmative. I was on my own.

I then shut the PC down, detached the cables from my OS disk, hooked up another disk with another copy of the same version OS already loaded, ran the same Open Rails app (the OR app and route content is on a separate SSD, so nothing there changed) and the problem was non-existent when the other OS platter was active. That told me something was probably mucked up with the OS/Win Updates process on the original disk. I wiped that bad copy of OS right down to removing partitions, reinstalled the OS fresh, applied all re-bundled patches in one swoop that had been previously applied monthly over many years and bring the OS up to the current date, reinstalled all my usual daily use productivity apps, and everything with OR worked once again.

Proving the problem was not Open Rails, but actually something OS/WinUpdate or unknown browser-acquired virus related that clearly stomped on some critical files needed by Open Rails to function properly. It took me about 24 hours to recover the freshly rebuilt OS drive.

If I had known better, I could have exercised seniority privilege and asked other people to solve my problem that was solvable only by me, believing that I was too old to have to "go there" and worry about reinstalling an OS after 10 years of monthly updates, or that as a pensioner I couldn't afford a new computer or even a separate disk drive to prove my hypothesis with the old computer. I, too, could have probably retreated back to MSTS and in order to claim the problem didn't exist there, and that all my OR investment would now be lost.

But I liked my fix better.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Awhile back, I ran into a unique problem in Open Rails where trains would behave like they were hitting a bumper post upon coming to any curved track. I spent about 4 days trying to diagnose it, thinking of all the possibilities. I asked here if anybody was seeing the same phenomena and nobody replied in the affirmative. I was on my own.

I then shut the PC down, detached the cables from my OS disk, hooked up another disk with another copy of the same version OS already loaded, ran the same Open Rails app (the OR app and route content is on a separate SSD, so nothing there changed) and the problem was non-existent when the other OS platter was active. That told me something was probably mucked up with the OS/Win Updates process on the original disk. I wiped that bad copy of OS right down to removing partitions, reinstalled the OS fresh, applied all re-bundled patches in one swoop that had been previously applied monthly over many years and bring the OS up to the current date, reinstalled all my usual daily use productivity apps, and everything with OR worked once again.

Proving the problem was not Open Rails, but actually something OS/WinUpdate or unknown browser-acquired virus related that clearly stomped on some critical files needed by Open Rails to function properly. It took me about 24 hours to recover the freshly rebuilt OS drive.

If I had known better, I could have exercised seniority privilege and asked other people to solve my problem that was solvable only by me, believing that I was too old to have to "go there" and worry about reinstalling an OS after 10 years of monthly updates, or that as a pensioner I couldn't afford a new computer or even a separate disk drive to prove my hypothesis with the old computer. I, too, could have probably retreated back to MSTS and in order to claim the problem didn't exist there, and that all my OR investment would now be lost.

But I liked my fix better.
    Charles

Approx. 7 month old thread, 6000 views and still no solution....I gotta go with geepster.

( N.T.S.O.B.** will eventually rule it to be caused by Operator Error )

--- **National Train Sim Operations Board
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I hate when that happens but you've gotta do what you've got to do.

Randy

What's this seniority privilege you're talking about. I need to start using it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    What's this seniority privilege you're talking about. I need to start using it.
    Sorry, mate, you're only eligible when you get to a certain age!! You'll know it when you get there

Cheers,
    Ged

Already a card carrying member, unfortunately.
    I guess I should be happy to have made it this far.
    Yeah, I am.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Sorry, mate, you're only eligible when you get to a certain age!! You'll know it when you get there

Cheers,
    Ged
    My estimation is that those with "seniority privilege" are in the majority around here. I think the room is so crowded with 'em that you cannot bend over to tie your shoe...that is, if you are still limber enough to bend over and tie your shoe.
    Cheers, Gerry